What's new

MS to buy capcom? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Ryan, your sentiments somewhat echo what Kevin has said earlier in his post. What I think we have to remember here is that we are talking about Microsoft buying Capcom and the reasons behind that. We are not talking about Nintendo.
That's true and I totally agree with you guys that this would be a good thing for Microsoft. I see them using this more to strengthen their next console than trying to win the current console war. It would be huge to take Resident Evil from Nintendo.

Would this really sell more consoles in Japan though?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy both of these fine machines, so I try and be optimistic. Your early review of Halo was one of the reasons I picked up the Xbox and if it was the only console I owned I think I'd be pretty happy.
I don't think I could participate in this forum if I didn't own all three. As a gamer I love all three consoles. I have this inner want to see the Xbox kick ass (because the hardware does) but I have emotional ties to Nintendo and, to a lesser extent, Sony.
A large percentage of people may read my opinions and think, "bullshit" and that's fine. But know that my thoughts come from a guy who is among the most impartial gamers on this forum.
It's all about the games. If you argue that point with me I'll have you for lunch.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Thanks for that in-dept reply Camp. Suffice to say, we are on the same page. Like I said, your enthusiatic review of Halo got me to get off my butt and made me go out and pick up a next gen machine (which subseqently lead to me getting the other two consoles, not that long after :D ) which made me like gaming again.
I appreciate your viewpoint since you are in the industry, and see what people are buying and playing.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
With all due respect Romier, I really do appreciate your input and attempts at non-biased meaningful discussion:emoji_thumbsup:, but not everyone here "discusses" the game industry. Some merely mask their bitterness and emotional bias in the form of backhanded comments made in the name of discussion.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
Romier... that sig is awsome.

my two cents on said subject though: i feel that Microsoft buying Capcom is a smart move.(if it turns out to be more than rumor) If nothing else to take the Resident Evil deal from Nintendo. i'd kill to see the remake on the box. capcom also has some solid titles that if made exclusive would boost sales up a notch. im sure japan sales would increase.. how much i don't know but anything is good at this point for xbox over there.

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen this story/rumour reported on any site other than C&VG (and then picked up by other, mostly xbox, fan sites)? I just find it amazing how this rumour, with no supporting sources whatsoever, gets posted on C&VG causing widespread baseless speculation across internet gaming forums and scrambling by the rest of the videogame media to the point where Capcom releases a statement saying that they aren't in as poor shape financially as their statement would seem to indicate.
Although I did notice that Capcom neither confirmed or denied that they were in talks with MS in that statement...:D

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>I wouldn't be suprised if they wouldn't LOVE to eat Konami too>

Dear Goodness I hope not. TMNT Games are supposed to come out on multi-platforms this year. My guess is that move would be cancelled should they be bought by Microsoft. I'm not willing to buy a $200 system for a few games.

Sigh... It's times like this when I Hate the fact that the system I support seems to get so little press these days... You always seem to hear about Sony and Micro$oft more often..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>2 Mario games>

Did I miss something? What's the other one, considering Mario Sunshine already hit the market?

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I hope these turn out to be rumors. Personally, I've only got a cube and a PS2 and I'm not sure if/when I'll get an XBox. Second, I'd like to be able to have all the RE games on one platform which might not happen if Capcom gets purchased by Microsoft. As far as the MS monopoly thing, it's a sticky situation. I see MS as the New York Yankees of game consoles. Lots of potential backed by money which brings in the talent, in other words the hired gun analogy. As you can tell, I'm not a Yankee fan ;) Anyhow, I hope this turns out to just be a rumor but at the very least atleast RE 0 is coming out in November(knock on wood). We'll see what happens. As I said, I'm not anti XBox but I'm just starting to get frustrated seeing developers being purchased during the early life of a current system. Makes justifying your purchase difficult.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

And this is a very bad thing for us consumers. If any game company were to monopolize the market, you can expect game prices to double overnight. With no competition, Microsoft (or whoever came out on top) could be in a very powerful position and we as consumers would have only one choice if we wished to play the games - fork over the cash. And there are enough people out there willing to do so that Microsoft could come out smelling like roses.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Now all we need is a console made by Apple!!
Hey, at least it would be the most visually attractive console housing ever! :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Apple did make a console

I believe it was released in Japan, and totally bombed, or it was yanked before production, forget which

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Jeff they surely did and it was called Pippin. It also came out here in the US.
Link Removed

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...never saw that before. Strange stuff. I wonder what Apple would come up with if it designed the XBOX? I mean the inner structure and the casing for it.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
The Pippin was actually a Bandai console, with innards by Apple. That would probably explain why it bombed -- has Bandai ever done anything good?

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I just remembered something. If Apple were to make a console, the innards(and possibly the outward appearence) would be very similar to the gamecube. The GC cpu is a beefed up IBM G3 (that apparently has some of the altivec instructions of the G4) and a graphics card from ATI. While I realize the graphics card is different and is not an ATI developed chipset, the CPU is similar to that at the heart of most modern macs. In terms of outward design, the GC is in fact a cube. Anyone remember the Powermac G4 cube that debuted in the summer of 2000? I do. I was actually at Macworld NY that year and couldn't believe how small it was when I got a chance to see it in person. My guess is if apple did for some stupid reason decide to venture into the console market, it would probably be extremely similar to the GC and or Powermac G4 cube.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks