What's new

Movies Unreleased in the USA- which ones haven't seen the light of day? (1 Viewer)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I keep hearing about movies being made that never see release and movies that were made (but never see release in the US but I'm not refferring to the majority of foreign language movies that never see release in the USA).

I hear Miramax/Dimension filmed a Modesty Blaise preqquel to hold onto the rights to the property (this has been reported by writer Neil Gaiman in his journal). No word on whether this will see release.

There is then the Fantastic Four movie produced by Roger Corman that never seen the light of day except for the pirate VHS/DVD market.

Also there are movies that haven't seen release here, but they have been released elsewhere:
THE TOUCH (Miramax has the rights and had some stuff reshot and yet this hasn't seen the light of day)
PROZAC NATION

the following have no US distributor:
BATTLE ROYALE
CRYING FREEMAN
CYPHER
THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER (the one with Alec Baldwin, Anthony Hopkins, Jennifer Love-Hewitt)

Then there are movies that have been held back for years before seeing release in the US like ROBINSON CRUSOE.

So I want to know what movies haven't seen release in the US and what movies that were made are being held back while they collect dust in the vaults. Feel free to provide any info that updates the above info as in regards to said movie is going to see a release in the US (or if I got a movie title wrong or a movie title has changed).

Further, I don't think HERO (starring jet Li) applies to the discussion in this thread because Miramx will release it eventually (hopefully finally sometime this year.

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

I saw a trailer for Hero when I saw Kill Bill Vol. 2. Can't remember if a release date was given.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
As I understand it, Battle Royale has not be released here because the producers have refused all offers. It's not for lack of interest from distributors.

The Devil and Daniel Webster was never released because it was never finished. The financing for the film collapsed before post production was completed. A rough trailer used to float around the net.

- Guy

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
The only ones I can think of are "Nothing Lasts Forever" from 1983, and had Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, and was produced by Lorne Michaels, which never made it to theaters in America, and the comedy "Slap Her She's French" from a couple of years back. Both of these films I would like to see just to see if they are bad.

To my knowledge, neither film has been seen in America.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I thought I just read somewhere that Crying Freeman is actually coming to dvd in the US before the end of the year...

A few years ago I saw an Australian movie by Fred Schepisi called The Song of Jimmy Blacksmith...uhhh, I think that was the title...which to my knowledge has never been distributed in the US. It was part of a class and the professor had to import a VHS copy from Australia. I remember it being a pretty good movie.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Hero is being shown at the Seattle Film Festival on June 5th.

I was looking forward to seeing Prozac Nation because I loved the book. I've seen it listed a couple times as "coming soon" in indie film mags like IFC Rants. I hope it doesn't suck.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Prozac Nation keeps getting bumped because there haven't been any postive reviews for it. I hear most people don't like the movie.

So are there any other unreleased movies people can think of?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Brown Bunny :D

Although I remember reading somewhere it may make it to European DVD this summer.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I watched the trailer for Prozac Nation on Rotten Tomatoes and both Ebert and Roeper gave it good reviews. Maybe it didn't test well, but if it goes striaght to DVD I will buy it site unseen.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member

This great was film was indeed theatrically released in the US...it's just not available in any US video format.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Hero is being released August 30th in Atlanta.

Michael Haneke's last film didn't receive US distribution.

Ditto for what may be Eric Rohmer's final film Triple Agent :angry:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The original cut of The Thief of the Cobbler (Australia's version has the new "Don Bluth" scenes and awful songs, but at least retains most of finished footage of the film)

The 5 1/2 hr. version of Napoleon (Kevin Brownlow has pleaded to the U.S. distributor to release this version... the fans of the film would be most pleased!)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
There was a remake of "Where The Red Fern Grows" that starred Dave Matthews that was never finished (or at least went on "hiatus" for a few years) and the footage hasn't been released in any form. There was also an earlier attempt to film "Apt Pupil" with Ricky Schroeder in the 80's that was never completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks