Movies Unreleased in the USA- which ones haven't seen the light of day?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by David_Blackwell, May 5, 2004.

1. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I keep hearing about movies being made that never see release and movies that were made (but never see release in the US but I'm not refferring to the majority of foreign language movies that never see release in the USA).

I hear Miramax/Dimension filmed a Modesty Blaise preqquel to hold onto the rights to the property (this has been reported by writer Neil Gaiman in his journal). No word on whether this will see release.

There is then the Fantastic Four movie produced by Roger Corman that never seen the light of day except for the pirate VHS/DVD market.

Also there are movies that haven't seen release here, but they have been released elsewhere:
    THE TOUCH (Miramax has the rights and had some stuff reshot and yet this hasn't seen the light of day)
    PROZAC NATION

the following have no US distributor:
    BATTLE ROYALE
    CRYING FREEMAN
    CYPHER
    THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER (the one with Alec Baldwin, Anthony Hopkins, Jennifer Love-Hewitt)

Then there are movies that have been held back for years before seeing release in the US like ROBINSON CRUSOE.

So I want to know what movies haven't seen release in the US and what movies that were made are being held back while they collect dust in the vaults. Feel free to provide any info that updates the above info as in regards to said movie is going to see a release in the US (or if I got a movie title wrong or a movie title has changed).

Further, I don't think HERO (starring jet Li) applies to the discussion in this thread because Miramx will release it eventually (hopefully finally sometime this year.

Be Seeing you,
    David Blackwell

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    There's a Jerry Lewis film called "The Day The Clown Cried" that has never been released. Look it up in IMDB and you will find out why. www.imdb.com/title/tt0068451/

3. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Was Sam Fuller's White Dog ever actually released here?

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Jean-Luc Godard's Histoire du cinéma.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I saw a trailer for Hero when I saw Kill Bill Vol. 2. Can't remember if a release date was given.

6. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

As I understand it, Battle Royale has not be released here because the producers have refused all offers. It's not for lack of interest from distributors.

The Devil and Daniel Webster was never released because it was never finished. The financing for the film collapsed before post production was completed. A rough trailer used to float around the net.

- Guy

7. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    The only ones I can think of are "Nothing Lasts Forever" from 1983, and had Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, and was produced by Lorne Michaels, which never made it to theaters in America, and the comedy "Slap Her She's French" from a couple of years back. Both of these films I would like to see just to see if they are bad.

To my knowledge, neither film has been seen in America.

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

The Hole
    Undead
    Shaun of the Dead

9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I thought I just read somewhere that Crying Freeman is actually coming to dvd in the US before the end of the year...

A few years ago I saw an Australian movie by Fred Schepisi called The Song of Jimmy Blacksmith...uhhh, I think that was the title...which to my knowledge has never been distributed in the US. It was part of a class and the professor had to import a VHS copy from Australia. I remember it being a pretty good movie.

10. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Hero is being shown at the Seattle Film Festival on June 5th.

I was looking forward to seeing Prozac Nation because I loved the book. I've seen it listed a couple times as "coming soon" in indie film mags like IFC Rants. I hope it doesn't suck.

11. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I was going to mention Prozac nation. What exactly happened to the release of it?

12. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Prozac Nation keeps getting bumped because there haven't been any postive reviews for it. I hear most people don't like the movie.

So are there any other unreleased movies people can think of?

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Edges of the Lord has played film festivals but not gotten a US release, which is somewhat surprising with its cast.

But we're not exactly missing anything - horrid movie.

14. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Brown Bunny [​IMG]

Although I remember reading somewhere it may make it to European DVD this summer.

15. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I watched the trailer for Prozac Nation on Rotten Tomatoes and both Ebert and Roeper gave it good reviews. Maybe it didn't test well, but if it goes striaght to DVD I will buy it site unseen.

16. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

This great was film was indeed theatrically released in the US...it's just not available in any US video format.

17. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Hero is being released August 30th in Atlanta.

Michael Haneke's last film didn't receive US distribution.

Ditto for what may be Eric Rohmer's final film Triple Agent [​IMG]

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The original cut of The Thief of the Cobbler (Australia's version has the new "Don Bluth" scenes and awful songs, but at least retains most of finished footage of the film)

The 5 1/2 hr. version of Napoleon (Kevin Brownlow has pleaded to the U.S. distributor to release this version... the fans of the film would be most pleased!)

19. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

There was a remake of "Where The Red Fern Grows" that starred Dave Matthews that was never finished (or at least went on "hiatus" for a few years) and the footage hasn't been released in any form. There was also an earlier attempt to film "Apt Pupil" with Ricky Schroeder in the 80's that was never completed.

20. Al Stuart

Al Stuart Stunt Coordinator

Son of Hitler.

Anyone who gets a chance to see it, it's hilariously misguided.

Nothing Lasts Forever recently had 2 screenings at the Bill Murray festival in Brooklyn.

Crying Freeman doesn't hold up well. I recently watched the R2 2 disc, and it was kind of silly and cliched.

I was not impressed by Cypher either.