What's new

Movies that Deserve Blu-ray Treatment (1 Viewer)

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Category 6: Day of Destruction
The Core
Dante's Peak

On Deadly Ground (Steven Seagal)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Laura
The Seven Year Itch
The Song Of Bernadette
Raintree County
Niagara
Somethings Got To Give { The Fox restoration]
Drums Along The Mohawk
San Francisco
Rear Window
Vertigo
To Catch A Thief
Rebecca
Foreign Correspondent
To Kill A Mocking Bird
Leave Her To Heaven
The Razors Edge
Giant
Duel In The Sun
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Captain From Castile
The Egyptian
Demetrius And The Galdiators
I'd Cimb The Highest Mountain
Picnic
Suddenly Last Summer {Movie and PBS version}
Night Of The Iguana
Sreetcar Named Desire
Some Like It Hot
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Misfits
Garden Of Evil
Dragonwyck
Gunga Din
The Ghost And Mrs Muir
My Cousin Rachel
Tale Of Two Cities
The Presidents Lady
Northwest Passage
A Christmas Carol [MGM Version}
Friendly Persuation
Tender Is The Night
Mrs Miniver
Sink The Bismark
The Women {1939 Version}
Moby Dick
The Yearling
Lion In Winter
The Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
Tug Boat Annie
Father Of The Bride [50s version]
River Of No Return
The Prince And The Show Girl
Battlestar Galactica 1978 Movie
The Good Earth
The Great Ziegfield
Reap The Wild Wind
The Talented Mr Ripley
Peyton Place
Return To Peyton Place
The Mummy
Bride Of Frankenstien
Frankenstein
Dracula
White Christmas
King Of Kings
Hud
The High And The Mighty
The Birds
Mr Smith Goes To Washington

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Maybe after the Oscars last night, we'll see some movement on John Hughes films on BD. We got Ferris, but we also need special editions of his other classics:
  • Sixteen Candles
  • Breakfast Club
  • Weird Science
  • Planes, Tranes & Automobiles
  • Uncle Buck

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by mattCR

Ken Burns: Civil War (the potential for extras an on limited discs with high quality would be awesome)
Ken Burns films up through The War were shot in 16mm, and would likely not see much improvment in image quality on blu-ray. However yes loads of extras could be added.

Doug

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Ken Burns films up through The War were shot in 16mm, and would likely not see much improvment in image quality on blu-ray. However yes loads of extras could be added.
I've never understood this mindset. Anything sourced from film can be improved by the higher video resolution of Blu-Ray. If you don't think so, check out the A&E Blu-Ray release of Pride & Prejudice, which is stunning. The Burns stuff needs to be remastered anyway. The DVD set of The Civil War is very bad, with judder and other movement in the images, not to mention visible dirt and sound distortions owing to poor mastering. It is actually painful to watch.

I have written to PBS asking if there are any plans to revisit the Burns films and others of their documentaries. I certainly hope so, because from what I've seen 16mm can yield astonishing results when properly transferred to Blu-Ray.

Regards,

Joe

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

I've never understood this mindset. Anything sourced from film can be improved by the higher video resolution of Blu-Ray. If you don't think so, check out the A&E Blu-Ray release of Pride & Prejudice, which is stunning. The Burns stuff needs to be remastered anyway. The DVD set of The Civil War is very bad, with judder and other movement in the images, not to mention visible dirt and sound distortions owing to poor mastering. It is actually painful to watch.

I have written to PBS asking if there are any plans to revisit the Burns films and others of their documentaries. I certainly hope so, because from what I've seen 16mm can yield astonishing results when properly transferred to Blu-Ray.

Regards,

Joe
Pride & Prejudice was photographed in Super16 which has quite a bit more image area, and there for more resolving power.

Burn's documentaries mostly shot in standard 16mm which in reality has maybe slightly more resolving power than NTSC. I'm not saying that the image would not improve on blu-ray, but the improvement would very small. Just doing a new transfer of The Civil War might provide a huge improvement in the quality of that particular film.

Doug

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
NTSC is 720x486.

Even standard 16mm has more resolving power than that.

having seen some very nice 8mm footage transferred at HD and NTSC, I would say 8mm is closer to NTSC resolution, though it still has better image fidelity at HD resolutions because HD is better able to represent the grain, rather than the more smeared look the same footage has on NTSC.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Adam_S

NTSC is 720x486.

Even standard 16mm has more resolving power than that.

having seen some very nice 8mm footage transferred at HD and NTSC, I would say 8mm is closer to NTSC resolution, though it still has better image fidelity at HD resolutions because HD is better able to represent the grain, rather than the more smeared look the same footage has on NTSC.
Yes it has a little more resolving power than NTSC, but not much more. As I said, there would be some improvement, but not hugely better. I've worked with both 16mm and super 16. Super 16 is as small as I would be comfortable going for something that would be presented in HD. Honestly at this point I'm no longer shooting film. I just don't see any advantage to it anymore.

There have been some recent studies that show that the average 35mm release print shown in the average movie theater has roughly the resolving power of 720P HD video. Of course that says as much about the quality of release prints and the optics in your neighborhood theater than anything else. But that also means that a 2K digital projection is going to look better than 35mm film in a disturbingly large number of cases.

Doug

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Swimmer
Sirens
Zardoz (with the BBC making of)
Lair of the White Worm
Why Shoot the Teacher
Man Who Would Be King
Wind and the Lion
The Man Who Went up a Hill but Came down a Mountain
La Vallee
Candleshoe
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
Outland
Bridges of Madison County
Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources
Brazil
New Waterford Girl
Bad Taste
Stealing Beauty
Solaris (original)
Mon Oncle
Picnic at Hanging Rock

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Windowboxed 16mm (i.e., the 1.37:1 full 16mm frame centered within the 16:9 HD frame) should have the same resolving power as Super-16. The only difference is Super-16 is wider and thus has a native widescreen aspect ratio. If you were to crop 16mm to widescreen 1.78:1 obviously it won't be equal to Super-16, but if you retain the 1.37:1 aspect ratio all things being equal it will since both 16mm and Super-16 have the same frame height.

Vincent

ptb2007

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Absolutely agree with you Greg.
When young I remember seeing Fall of The Roman Empire in 70mm in the theatre and my jaw hit the floor the first time we saw the Roman Forum!
All those epics from the 60s should be put onto Blu Ray in their correct 70 mm aspect ration. El Cid I see has just been released but is it any different to the Miriam Collection dvd?
A 6 hour Cleopatra would be wonderful but I imagine impossible as most of the deleted scenes are long vanished. Shows you how far thinking Mankewicz was in wanting to release it as two movies originally!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Windowboxed 16mm (i.e., the 1.37:1 full 16mm frame centered within the 16:9 HD frame) should have the same resolving power as Super-16. The only difference is Super-16 is wider and thus has a native widescreen aspect ratio.
Exactly. So the Burns films should gain at least as much from the process as The Prisoner, er, Pride and Prejudice, which looks astonishingly good on Blu-Ray. Alas, there are no present plans for any such release as far as I can tell. The current National Parks, and the upcoming Baseball: The Tenth Inning, are set for a Blu-Ray release. PBS's deal with Burns gives then a three-year exclusive on video releases, after which the home video rights revert to Florentine Films. I've never seen The National Parks, so maybe someone can clear up its aspect ratio: The IMDB says it was shot on Super-16 with an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. The Amazon page for the DVDs shows what appears to be a more heavily letterboxed image and gives a ratio of 2.35.

Either way, I assume the new Baseball, will be similar. I got the contract info and the plans for Baseball and The National Parks from a PBS rep. (They finally answered my e-mail after nearly a month . They may not get all the much money from the taxpayers, but they sure do move at the speed of government. )

I have no idea what, if anything, Florentine is going to do with their catalog stuff. I'd dearly love to have most of it on Blu-Ray, but I don't know if Burns is interested or if there is anyone to finance it.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by Worth ">[/url]

[i]The Prisoner[/i] was shot on 35mm.[/QUOTE]
Yes, of course you're correct. Sorry. Had it on the brain from another discussion where people were arguing that "old TV and movies" and 1.33:1 sourced material would not benefit from Blu-Ray.

BTW, Florentine Films doesn't even publish an e-mail address or provide a contact or comments form on their site. If you want to ask them any questions, you have to use snail mail. This does not bode well for anyone over there being hot for Blu-Ray.

RedDev78

Auditioning
Real Name
William Leitch
Dantes Peak

Se7en (suprised nobody said this one)

Down Periscope

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Lord of the Rings Extended DVD versions

Alien and Aliens

Black Dog

Transformers animated movie from 1980's

Payback (original not directors cut)

The Body

RedDev78

Auditioning
Real Name
William Leitch
Police Academy movies

Smokey and the bandit

John Carpenter's Vampiers

Tales From The Crypt

Ren and Stimpy show

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Lots of great titles already mentioned - I desperately need to win that Jackpot !

Of the top of my head:

Magnificient Ambersons

The Duellists

The Wind And The Lion

Fistful of Dynamite

The Thing (original)

Mean Guns (guilty pleasure)

Streets Of Fire

All of the Zatoichi movies

Night Of The Iguana

Regards

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator
All of the Great MGM Musicals:

Singin' in the Rain

The Band Wagon

Kiss Me Kate

On the Town

Meet Me in St. Louis

Easter Parade

The Mickey/Judy Musicals

Royal Wedding

Esther Williams Musicals

Good News

The Broadway Melody Movies

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers

Show Boat

The Pirate

I'd also like to see the RKO Fred and Ginger Musicals and the 20th Century Fox Betty Grable Musicals.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I think Blu-ray treatment should be taken to mean PROPER Blu-ray treatment (good encodes of suitable masters, no DNR/EE/contrast boosting "impress J6P" issues, lossless audio on original language track, reasonably accurate/theatrical subtitles where applicable, etc.)

Deserving PROPER Treatment

----------------------------------------------------

- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (original theatrical subs)

- Dark City

- The Dark Knight (if EE was not the director's intent to "meld with IMAX scenes" as some have suggested)

- Gladiator

- Hero (lossless Original Language Track, probably subtitle fixes depending on who you ask )

- House of Flying Daggers (uncensored, and Fifth Element like remaster)

- Pan's Labyrinth

- Ponyo (at least outside of Japan and probably UK)

- Ran

- Star Trek III, IV, and VI

- Terminator II (Higher bit-rate on movie to avoid encoder applied noise reduction)

New Ones (and recommendations I second!)

- Almost Famous (on this side of the pond with both cuts)

- Back to the Future Trilogy (Universal, find out what proper treatment REALLY means.)

- Bridge on the River Kwai

- The Contender (2000, personal favorite)

- The Great Escape (1963)

- The Incredibles

- Lilo and Stitch

- Princess Mononoke

- Pulp Fiction

- Rashomon

- The Seven Samarai (Up for pre-order, but haven't seen announced.)

- Shrek 1 & 2

- Spirited Away (heck, all Miyazaki!)

- Tarzan (1999)

- True Lies

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks