What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Since this movie has phased out of theaters for the most part, and many screens have shuttered, the big question is how many movies will hold off for theaters to reopen versus going the streaming route, and will 2020/21 be the year theaters died?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I read somewhere that the cost to produce a new disc is +/- $6,000. I don't remember where though so if I'm wrong on that, someone should feel free to correct me.

At minimum, that $6000 cost would have to cover the working hours of the folks who do the disc authoring, and the cost to manufacture/package/ship the actual discs to Warner's warehouse(s). I suppose one can look up Technicolor's bulk rate for manufacturing tens of thousands of dvd and bluray discs in Mexico.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Still no announcement of schedules for any of the 3 non-regal cinemas in my area (Albany NY) but two of the three theaters had their owners mentioned in a Deadline article so they will probably be opened.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, considering this, it's highly unlikely theaters in NYC itself would reopen anytime soon:

Not even sure what exactly it'll mean for NYC-folks wanting to head across the river into NJ to see a movie nearby, if they were even considering that before...

And it's probably gonna kill much of whatever small amount of business those few nearby theaters were getting til now... In particular, AMC runs a multiplex in a nearby shopping mall in NJ that's mass transit accessible from Manhattan and doesn't have much else residential nearby.

_Man_

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just bought my first tickets since the pandemic for Tenet on Sunday. The online ticketing system still doesn't make sense. It doesn't let you buy multiple tickets with space between them in the same order. So I had to place two orders one for me and one for my friend who doesn't quarantine with me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My area theater is offering private theater rentals, as well, but not as reasonable as AMC. You can rent the large-format theater for $350, or a smaller theater for $275.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Theaters around here have been doing that for a few months now. One of the indie theaters lets you bring a Blu-ray of your picking for $100 but the only catch is you have to have 15 people in your "party." I was willing to pay the $100 to see a couple movies on the big screen that I know I'd never get the chance otherwise but until they drop the minimum number of people I'm out of luck.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Theaters around here have been doing that for a few months now. One of the indie theaters lets you bring a Blu-ray of your picking for $100 but the only catch is you have to have 15 people in your "party." I was willing to pay the $100 to see a couple movies on the big screen that I know I'd never get the chance otherwise but until they drop the minimum number of people I'm out of luck.
I wonder what's the thinking on minimum people? Are they hoping they'll buy concessions?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Late to this discussion but as someone in their early 60s, I have no intention of returning to theaters, or any social event such as conventions - which hurts me more as I attend writers conventions and love doing so, until a vaccine is in place and most of the population has been vaccinated.

That's at least 5 years down the road - and probably an optimistic view at that.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I wonder what's the thinking on minimum people? Are they hoping they'll buy concessions?

I believe that is the main thing. This theater has a full bar and a restaurant in it and they usually give the movie tickets away for free so it's obvious their bread and butter are the food and drinks. Still, it looks like they'd take the $100 if the theater wasn't rented out and sell me a few beers.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Late to this discussion but as someone in their early 60s, I have no intention of returning to theaters, or any social event such as conventions - which hurts me more as I attend writers conventions and love doing so, until a vaccine is in place and most of the population has been vaccinated.

That's at least 5 years down the road - and probably an optimistic view at that.

Given that a substantial %age of the US population has said they'll never get the vaccine... good luck with that!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Not using AMC A-List like I did in pre-pandemic days, but still getting out at least once every 10 days or so.

Saw "Kid Detective" today and liked it, Extremely wry/dry, but not in a contrived Wes Anderson way.

Interesting take on the murder mystery genre...

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Not using AMC A-List like I did in pre-pandemic days, but still getting out at least once every 10 days or so.

Saw "Kid Detective" today and liked it, Extremely wry/dry, but not in a contrived Wes Anderson way.

Interesting take on the murder mystery genre...
Same here. I'm still getting my money's worth. I went to see Tenet again in Dolby before that screen got taken over by the new Liam Neeson action film. I also saw Kajillionaire and Yellow Rose. Tenet is still my favorite movie of the year. I may actually go see it again a third time next week.

The new Woody Allen film has opened, but I'll have to pay out of pocket to see that one at Landmar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks