What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I've only been to one drive-in, back in summer 1980.

My family went to MN for my grandparents' 50th, and my Dad and I got there early.

The local drive-in ran a triple feature of "FM", "The Buddy Holly Story" and "Let It Be".

I was a huge Beatles fan back then - still am! - and back in those days before VHS became common, it was tough to see the Fabs' movies unless they popped up randomly on TV or at a revival house.

Or an Austin MN drive-in triple bill!

My Dad had zero interest in any of these movies, but he knew what it meant to me to see "LIB", so off we went. (I suspect he also didn't want to deal with my wrath if I missed it! :D)

Given this was summer, I doubt the first movie started before 8:30 PM, so "LIB" probably didn't begin until midnight.

We stuck it out, even when a hailstorm (!) caused the projectionist to pause the movie!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Same here. I'm still getting my money's worth. I went to see Tenet again in Dolby before that screen got taken over by the new Liam Neeson action film. I also saw Kajillionaire and Yellow Rose. Tenet is still my favorite movie of the year. I may actually go see it again a third time next week.

I almost saw "Kajillionaire" but bailed - it sounds kinda artsy-fartsy, and I was afraid I'd regret my choice.

I've heard good things about 'Yellow Rose" but I admit the synopsis doesn't much intrigue me.

Oh, I saw "Broken Hearts Gallery" a couple weeks back and HATED it. Just a painfully contrived and annoying movie!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I guess Drive-In viewing just seemed essential to me to experience the popular tradition of movie going. I mean I started going when I was barely a teenager, but there was something magical about taking in two new movies on a summer night and leaving half awake at 2:30 in the morning trying to take it all in.
It also helped the was a 'Hot n Now' a block away. I'd get 4 cheeseburgers, large fry, and soda for half the price of a large popcorn at my local movie theater.

Of course with the virus among us, there is no fear of my Drive in closing up. It has been sold out all summer long.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I guess Drive-In viewing just seemed essential to me to experience the popular tradition of movie going. I mean I started going when I was barely a teenager, but there was something magical about taking in two new movies on a summer night and leaving half awake at 2:30 in the morning trying to take it all in.

As far as I recall, there was only one drive-in fairly close to my house. I guess my parents weren't interested, as they never took us there.

I got my driver's license in 1983 and it closed in 1984, so any potential desire I might've had to visit with friends in that situation didn't really exist...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It also helped the was a 'Hot n Now' a block away. I'd get 4 cheeseburgers, large fry, and soda for half the price of a large popcorn at my local movie theater.

Of course with the virus among us, there is no fear of my Drive in closing up. It has been sold out all summer long.
The only drive-in that I'm aware of having been near me was gone by the 80's because I don't remember it. The drive-in's parking lot became the spot where they built a hardtop Budco theater that was eventually cut up into a multiplex. The old location of the drive-in's snack bar is where the current AMC now stands.

One thing I've always loved about that AMC theater is that they've kept the old neon sign that's been there since the 80's. The old timey look of the sign and that neon signs themselves are basically gone now is probably why I'm so fond of the montage in Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood with all the neon signs turning on.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I've been to drive-ins off and on over the years but the experience ranks far below an actual theater experience. Even below watching at home on a tablet, never mind in one's HT room.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Italy and Germany have both closed theaters again. France is headed into another complete lockdown.

I don't see how Wonder Woman can stay on Christmas anymore.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I doubt that very much. Patty Jenkins has been very vocal about the film receiving a theatrical release, and it is one of Warner's most important franchises. If they did that, I would watch it, but I suspect they will delay it again.

From Variety:

Variety said:
Sarnoff said as of now, Warner Bros. is committed to seeing its next tentpole, "Wonder Woman 1984," land in theaters on Christmas Day. But the studio will have to watch conditions in the U.S. closely before making the final call because “Wonder Woman” is expected to skew more to the domestic market than “Tenet.”

“It really is about how the U.S. continues to open, and whether there are any other surges,” Sarnoff said. “We’ve got a little bit of time to figure that out.”

[/quote]

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
If it sticks with theaters only, it could easily be 2023 or 2024 before we get anywhere near full packed theaters.

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Well with a great swath of the public saying they're scared of a new vaccine when it hits, it will take possibly years to convince everyone to take it. At that point we may see people actually sitting next to each other in a theater.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When there is a safe, scientifically proven vaccine, I'm taking it, and everyone I know is taking it. I can't worry about the people who don't.

Patty Jenkins has been very clear that she wants Wonder Woman 1984 to remain a theatrical release. If Nolan got them to release his movie In August, I suspect she can get them to release hers. It might not be on Christmas, but I would be extremely surprised if they go against her wishes altogether. They view Wonder Woman as a big franchise, and they clearly want to remain in business with Jenkins and Gadot. They bid for the Cleopatra movie that the two of them will make next but lost to Paramount. Also, I'm sure they want Jenkins to come back for Wonder Woman 3 after that, so I doubt they'll risk upsetting her by putting it on HBO Max first.

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
Nobody knows anything for sure. But packing people into giant auditoriums hourly is needed for these movies to recoup their budgets. I really don't see that happening in 2021 or maybe even 2022.

Money talks, don't think for a second that these "my film needs a theater!" directors won't cave if given a choice of their movies being seen my millions of subscribers and a nice payout vs. watching their epics crumble under low attendance in person options.

Money will always win.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Money talks, don't think for a second that these "my film needs a theater!" directors won't cave if given a choice of their movies being seen my millions of subscribers and a nice payout vs. watching their epics crumble under low attendance in person options.

Christopher Nolan did. He has a percentage of first dollar gross on Tenet in his contract. I'm not sure how much it was, but he pushed WB to go ahead with the release knowing that he would make less under the current circumstances than he would if they had held the movie.

I don’t think that will ever happen again.

I absolutely 100% disagree with that.

It will happen. It will not be soon. It should not be soon. But it will happen eventually.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I absolutely 100% disagree with that.

It will happen. It will not be soon. It should not be soon. But it will happen eventually.
I don’t think it will Jake. I know I certainly will never feel comfortable with someone sitting right next to me until this virus is completely eradicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks