What's new

Movie score legend Jerry Goldsmith has died (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know he was battling cancer. Very sad news but he left us with some fantastic scores. RIP Jerry.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
I will never forget his work on "Rudy". For me, Rudy has got to have one of the greatest scores of all time. His work on Rudy makes you sad, optimistic, motivated, and so many more emotions to name. I'm going to pop in the Rudy soundtrack right now. You'll be missed Jerry. :frowning:

David Prior

Insider
How can you explain the numbing, devastating impact of the death of someone you never knew? Through his music, Mr. Goldsmith has had a more profound influence on me than people I've known my whole life, and I grieve his loss as I would a loved one.

Seventy-five is too goddamned young.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Quite simply, through his great art. Art is the greatest aid to empathy the world has ever known, and Mr. Goldsmith has left an incredible body and legacy of work for us to treasure. Essentially, we always empathise with artists that touch us, and their departure makes the world a lesser place for a time.

Rest in peace, Jerry.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
WHAT?!?!

Whoa, what a shock. Its definitely a huge loss...man. Total Recall will always be my favorite soundtrack...

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Words escape me, don't quite know what to say.

John Williams got me into film music. Jerry Goldsmith is who made me LOVE film music. So many of my peers and coworkers (ages anywhere from 20-40) have no idea what true music is. They frown or outright mock my choice of music: soundtracks. I'd say Jerry's compositions are 50% of my selections.

I will mourn him, It's also hard to realize that I will never see a new film EVER with his music! :frowning:

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
I am truly saddened by the death of Jerry Goldsmith. My love of TV and motion picture scores started when I heard his fabulous theme music from The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
In that vein I'd like to remind people of a few of his TV credits:
Dr. Kildare
The Twilight Zone
Have Gun Will Travel
The Man From Uncle
The Loner
Room 222
The Waltons
Barnaby Jones
I think I'll spend the rest of the night listening to his music from UNCLE courtesy of www.filmscoremonthly.com
Bill Parisho

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
When the news of Timeline broke out, did anyone think that Timeline would be Mr. Goldsmith's last score? I didn't. Goldsmith's been so prolific that it's impossible to imagine the movie world without his music.

NP: September 11, 2001 - Theme from The Last Castle

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
:frowning:

This really hurts. I absolutely love the scores from

Rudy
The Edge
Air Force One
L.A. Confidential
Hoosiers
Poltergeist
Star Trek
The Waltons

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I've read a few articles today. Not one of them mentioned "Alien" as one of his scores.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Just catching up with the news.

Terrific composer and a personal favorite. I've got the Love Theme from Chinatown playing in my head.

God Bless Jerry Goldsmith.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Gee nobody's even mentioned two of my favorite Goldsmith scores yet....

[rant]The Wind and The Lion[/rant]

and

[rant]The Agony and the Ecstacy[/rant] ....

The former is now available on a really good, really cheap Warner DVD. :star: :star: :star: :star:

I don't know where the heck the latter film lies in its own DVD purgatory of a ceiling...when will you make an end?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Hopefully some other Music area regulars will drop in to post here.

Wicked sad news.

Don't think the "Star Trek: Voyager" theme has been mentioned yet--love that.

A reviewer once said that Jerry tells us the whole story of Chinatown with his opening credits cue. On a visceral level, I'd agree.

Although I understand he spoke out against them in recent times, I had forgotten about the isolated score track on the L.A. Confidential DVD . . .

Love the end credits score cue, from the moment Det. Lt. Ed looks up and sees Lynn at the press conference through fade out; esp. the swell accompanying the big reveal that Bud's still alive. Wonderful.

-p

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Very, very sad news. I'm goinf to be playing my cd's of his for much of the immediate future. Am I mthe only one who thinks The Secret of NIMH is one of his great scores? When I rented the DVD and watched it for the first time since I was a child a few years back I had to run out and buy the score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks