What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm torn between thinking that Rampage is only worth paying for at MP prices (i.e. free), but only worth seeing on some giant 3D screen with all the bells and whistles.
It's going to be a MP showing for me as there are no 3-D showings in my area. Looking forward to watching this with a tub of popcorn and some Twizzlers.:)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm torn between thinking that Rampage is only worth paying for at MP prices (i.e. free), but only worth seeing on some giant 3D screen with all the bells and whistles.

Did a 2D last night. Fun, popcorn movie. But would I ever actually pay nighttime ticket price for it? Nope. Weekend morning prices? Nope. This is the movie MoviePass is designed for...for me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On my way back from a jaunt into the city, noticed that "Rampage" was playing around 10:30pm last night at a theater along the way home, so I MoviePass'd it, and it was nice not to worry about blowing $15 on a night-time ticket and just swiping that sweet red card through the ticket kiosk credit card reader... :D

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Today's MP film was "Finding Your Feet" a delightful film starring Imelda Staunton, Celia Imrie, and Timothy Spall.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Booooooo... I got the must upload the ticket stub email today.

I am kinda surprised it hit me considering its still in beta and I only see about one movie a week in general.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Booooooo... I got the must upload the ticket stub email today.

I am kinda surprised it hit me considering its still in beta and I only see about one movie a week in general.
Their web site says that in the beta testing phase, these requests are just generated randomly.

What's that?
Apparently MP is considering making customers verify their movie ticket purchase by requiring the user to send a photo of the movie ticket stub for verification that you actually purchased a movie ticket (and for the correct film as selected in the app). The movie pass app will not allow you to use the app again for another movie until you have completed the requested verification of the prior movie.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For my local Landmark Theater Movie Pass currently gives you a code that you redeem at the box office and a ticket for the movie at the time that you provided in the app prints out.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Putting the onus on customers to "prove their honesty" is going to turn off a lot of people, regardless of how many existing companies bundle into their corporate family. How do they choose the people they "audit"?

The company is also rolling out a new bundle that limits the number of movies you can see per month to four (and gives you a worthless streaming music subscription to "sweeten" the deal). Those who have existing "unlimited" plans won't be affected, but I suspect future re-ups will follow this model. Cinemark already has a plan, aimed at more casual moviegoers, that costs $9 a month for one (1) ticket (!) and some concession discounts. That's where this "industry" is headed. It wants to steer away from the people who will gleefully, and I think totally rightfully, game the system these companies set up to increase their user base.

MoviePass "expects to have a positive cash flow in 2019 thanks to ad sales and the money it makes selling subscribers’ data." But don't expect that positive flow to come on the back of the "unlimited" plan.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is off topic but since Movie Passers see a lot of movies, has anyone seen that kids animated movie Sgt. Stubby? It's based on the true story about a dog who was the mascot for a regiment in World War I. I know it didn't well this weekend but it got great reviews and I like to root for the underdog (no pun intended) so I'm interested in checking it out. There must be some dog lovers out there who have seen it because just the poster with the cartoon dog on it is melting my heart and I'm a hard hearted bastard. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Apparently MP is considering making customers verify their movie ticket purchase by requiring the user to send a photo of the movie ticket stub for verification that you actually purchased a movie ticket (and for the correct film as selected in the app). The movie pass app will not allow you to use the app again for another movie until you have completed the requested verification of the prior movie.

Putting the onus on customers to "prove their honesty" is going to turn off a lot of people, regardless of how many existing companies bundle into their corporate family. How do they choose the people they "audit"?

I'm still waiting for them to respond to a customer service inquiry that I made in November. Every few weeks I get a follow-up email to say that they are overwhelmed by emails, that they apologize for the delay in responding, and hope to get back to me soon. If that's how they are at customer service, I can't imagine how terrible they'd be at verifying ticket stubs.

Also, what happens if you lose your stub? Once I've made it into the theater and taken my seat, I lose track of them. I guess they usually wind up in the bottom of my pocket, waiting to be thrown away at the end of the day. I feel like it's putting a lot on the customer to ask them to retain this sort of thing, especially if they ask after the fact. If they ask me a day after I've gone to the movies for a stub, I almost certainly won't have it. And what about people who don't have cameras on their phones?

Ultimately, I use MoviePass (for the most part) to see movies that I otherwise would have been perfectly happy to skip. If it's a movie that I really want to see, I'm not using MP for it, I'm buying those tickets the old fashioned way so I can see it in IMAX 3D or another premium format. So if MP just makes it ridiculously unpleasant to use, I'll just stop using MP and stop seeing these extra movies that weren't priorities to me anyway.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Ultimately, I use MoviePass (for the most part) to see movies that I otherwise would have been perfectly happy to skip. If it's a movie that I really want to see, I'm not using MP for it, I'm buying those tickets the old fashioned way so I can see it in IMAX 3D or another premium format. So if MP just makes it ridiculously unpleasant to use, I'll just stop using MP and stop seeing these extra movies that weren't priorities to me anyway.

It may be moot soon...

https://www.thewrap.com/moviepass-owner-isnt-worried-about-losing-150-million-last-year/

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Oh yeah, I honestly suspect they're going down sooner vs. later. What they're doing just isn't sustainable, and as long as AMC and Regal refuse to play ball with them, they have nowhere to go. It doesn't matter that they just signed up Landmark and a couple other indies - a total of a hundred theaters out of the several thousand in the country is meaningless for what they're trying to offer.

When I signed up last September, the deal was $9.99 per month. Since that time, they've tried to get monthly subscribers to pay for an entire year in advance. They've also made deals for selling yearly memberships at places like Costco, and then on their website. All of that seems to be about getting an immediate cash infusion. That would seem to coincide with other reporting saying that they had burned through their capitalization cash at a far faster rate than anticipated. And now, if you go to their webpage to sign up, you may only sign up for the three month plan where you pay all up front, and can only see four movies a month. I think they're in a lot more trouble that they're letting on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks