What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (2 Viewers)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

They still don't get it. Their definition of "great" users is one sided; that's what makes a user "great" for MP...not the consumer who is getting the most bang for their buck. The folks sharing cards and whatnot...that's a problem, without a doubt. But using the benefits you paid for under the terms of the agreement? That's being smart.

Later on, the unlimited plan going away was to curb fraud, apparently. Okay, fine. But think about any given market. Are there enough movies for a person to see a new one every single day without repeating in any market outside of LA and NY in the country? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. By limiting a user to seeing a movie only one time, you are thereby limiting the benefit they can get from the service.

I'm happy with A List.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I only saw 6 movies with my 12/28-1/27 month of A-List. Please forgive me!
My first month ends on 2/9 and it will only be 6 movies for me too with an outside chance of one more for a total of 7 movies. Since, my local AMC theater is an older theater complex without any of the amenities of some of the newer theaters like recliner seats, Dolby Cinema or IMAX that's about all I expect to see each month. The next nearest AMC theater to me with those perks is located an hour away from me so I might be limited to one or two visits there each month. I'm going to try to schedule two movies each trip to that newer movie complex.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
A side-effect of A-list for me - trailers that wear out their welcome and make me actively opposed to seeing the film advertised. Some current examples:

Breakthrough - a couple of minutes of shameless emotional manipulation.
Gloria Bell - Julianne Moore as cloying cough syrup.

I will go through life a happy man if I never see these trailers again, much less their movies.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My first month ends on 2/9 and it will only be 6 movies for me too with an outside chance of one more for a total of 7 movies. Since, my local AMC theater is an older theater complex without any of the amenities of some of the newer theaters like recliner seats, Dolby Cinema or IMAX that's about all I expect to see each month. The next nearest AMC theater to me with those perks is located an hour away from me so I might be limited to one or two visits there each month. I'm going to try to schedule two movies each trip to that newer movie complex.

I have no excuse! AMC 3 miles from my house has Dolby Cinema AND IMAX!

I'm just a slacker! :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ditto. Haven't been close to an AMC since college, when I was there nearly every week.
Another factor is I'm a big guy with long legs and the AMC theater near me with their old seats with smaller space between rows reminds me of seating in Fenway Park or Tigers Stadium and enduring 3 hours of painful knee torture as I watch a ballgame.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hey, some of us have jobs, y'know! :D

I do have an abundance of AMC goodness in my area. There's a nice "art house" AMC pretty close as well and another IMAX/Dolby AMC not too far away, too...
I'm in no way criticizing you! I'm just lamenting my own situation in which I don't have a first class AMC that's within an hour of my home address.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
They still don't get it. Their definition of "great" users is one sided; that's what makes a user "great" for MP...not the consumer who is getting the most bang for their buck. The folks sharing cards and whatnot...that's a problem, without a doubt. But using the benefits you paid for under the terms of the agreement? That's being smart.

Well, in fairness to MP, their definition of "great customer" must be one-sided, it's their definition after all. And from their POV, someone who pays them $10 (or whatever the fee was) but then has them buy $40 worth of tickets during that time is indeed a "bad" customer for them, as that customer cost them $30.

I mean, like you, I'm on A-List, and AMC has stated that their break-even point, factoring in concessions sales, for A-List is about 3 movies a month - if you go less than 3 times a month they make money off of you, if you go more, they lose money on you. Over six months, I've averaged 12 movies a month and I can tell you exactly how much I've saved at their expense. And i buy virtually no concessions either. So it wouldn't bother me at all if AMC regards me as a bad customer.

Won't stop me from seeing 12 more movies this month though, LOL. I only hope enough people do only go twice a month that they can afford to keep giving me such a great deal.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I have the same decision to make - am seeing LEGO 2 on Wednesday in either 3D or IMAX, so if either of you see it in either format, please tell how you thought the format worked.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, in fairness to MP, their definition of "great customer" must be one-sided, it's their definition after all. And from their POV, someone who pays them $10 (or whatever the fee was) but then has them buy $40 worth of tickets during that time is indeed a "bad" customer for them, as that customer cost them $30.

I mean, like you, I'm on A-List, and AMC has stated that their break-even point, factoring in concessions sales, for A-List is about 3 movies a month - if you go less than 3 times a month they make money off of you, if you go more, they lose money on you. Over six months, I've averaged 12 movies a month and I can tell you exactly how much I've saved at their expense. And i buy virtually no concessions either. So it wouldn't bother me at all if AMC regards me as a bad customer.

Won't stop me from seeing 12 more movies this month though, LOL. I only hope enough people do only go twice a month that they can afford to keep giving me such a great deal.

I don’t see how that 3 movies a month figure is accurate. Before A-list, I doubt there were many AMC customers seeing 12 movies a month. Shoot, I was only seeing about 6 a year and rarely buying concessions. Now I go about 6-10 a month and probably buy at least an Icee 90% of the time, sometimes I get more concessions.

We know theaters don’t make much from ticket sales early in a movie’s run and I see most within the first 2 weeks. So, AMC went from see me about 6 times a year (less because I would go to the non AMC theater mostly) to getting $20 a month and at least an Icee sale on most trips. They are getting a whole lot more money from me then they ever have.

It’s their program and if they say it’s not profitable if I see more than 3 a month then, I don’t see how they will ever make a profit from me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Iit’s not a high priority movie for me.

Based on your post about it in the 2019 box office thread, I can tell you that I liked both the original Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie significantly more than you did. And I really didn't like this one. It's a perfectly watchable, average animated movie to take kids to as a distraction, and it looks nice, but it's really not very good. I know with A-List you won't really lose anything on it if you go, but based on what you've said about the last one, I think you could pass on this one without missing anything that would be tremendously worthwhile to you.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks, that confirms what I was thinking. This one’s up to my wife; if she wants to see it, I’m happy to be her date for the evening but won’t bother seeing it on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks