What's new

Movie encryption and HDTV inputs (1 Viewer)

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
I have been lurking a while and have a friend who is not buying an HDTV because of the movie channels threatening to encrypt movies.

I don't think that he's against the encryption, but it had something to do with the output of set top boxes and inputs on HDTVs, and not being able to see them at full quality.

It sounded like he was saying that the current HDTVs don't have an input capable of the full HDTV bandwidth. Composite vs. Component or something like that.

Can someone break down the digital in/outputs of HDTVs/settop boxes/DVHS and their picture qualities? Does anyone get the jist of his argument and is it a valid point?

I also saw that Mitsu's HDTVs are "upgradable", but most other manufacturers aren't. What is this really referring to?

People are obviously buying TVs, so are you taking a risk by doing so now?

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Your friend is somewhat mistaken. Current HDTVs are perfectly capable of receiving and displaying full resolution HDTV via their component or RGB connections. What's happening is that Hollywood wants to encrypt their movies so that they will only be viewable in full resolution via encrypted digital connections, which 99% of current HDTVs don't have. The STBs will downconvert encrypted content to standard 480i or slightly better. If these efforts are successful, none of the 2 million HDTVs that have been sold to date will be able to display full resolution HDTV on some content, namely Hollywood movies presented on PPV, premium channels (HBO, SHO), or prerecorded media (D-VHS, HD-DVD). Most HDTV content will remain unaffected, including OTA content and HD sports channels. If your main source of enjoyment is Hollywood movies, you may have a problem. If you're like me and watch mostly network HDTV and sports, you'll be fine. Hollywood is not THAT important.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The "Promise" is Mitsubishi's guarantee — in writing, no less — that anyone who buys one of its HD-ready TVs will be able to purchase an upgrade module in the future to keep pace with cutting-edge advances in DTV technology. The company estimates the module will cost less than $1,000. Although the specs haven't been set in stone, the module is expected to include a tuner to receive DTV signals off the air and via cable. It will also support the home-networking standard callrd IEEE 1394 connectivity, a way of having household devices communicate with each other. With all the political and technical controversy surrounding the rollout of the nation's new digital television system, Mitsubishi's promise should come as a comfort to those who are itching to buy an HD-ready TV now but prefer to wait until the smoke clears before adding a set-top decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks