What's new

mounting nOhr SM 5.1 on top of SVS 25-31PCi (1 Viewer)

DonC@

Auditioning
I'm thinking of sitting a pair of nOhr SM 5.1s on top of a pair of SVS 25-31PCi subs. Is this a bad idea? Would the speakers interfere with each other? Also, the subs are 31" tall. Would that put the nOhrs up too high?

Thanks for the help.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the drivers would interfere, but the SVS surely needs that top port to be open and free of interference. Just my opinion, of course.

Rich

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Like Richard says, you need to keep the port clear.

Could be done, but you'll have to build some sort of special stand that will fit on top of the SVS in order to keep the port clear.

John Gates

Second Unit
I agree that 31" is probably too high for the 5.1. You could experiment with putting something under the rear feet to aim the tweeter to the listening position, however, to see if it would work.

I own nOrh speakers and a pair of 20-39's, BTW.

I would be willing to bet that this arrangement would limit you too much on where you placed the subs. You could probably get better results by placing the nOrhs on dedicated stands and hiding your subs in a corner.

Feel free to experiment and see what happens tho. The design of the nOrh speakers might not actually be a prob for the port on the SVS. You never know til you try. :)

John G

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Yepper--gotta keep that port clear, but I'm sure TV would help you out with some guidelines.
I think Obi stacked 2 SVS's, did he not? He fabbed up a cool little interface which provided proper clearance for the bottom sub. Searching, searching...ah--here it is--the Tower of Power
It's an old link, and Obi has since sold the stack--I'm not even sure the pic links are still working. I'm sure he'd answer questions about it though.
The long and short if it is, yep--you can't restrict the flow of those ports completely, but there is a workable solution. I think the "hat" picture is still working--it is the cap that TV helped Obi develop--it provides the proper clearance.
Hope this was of some help.
Andy

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Agree with the above. Also unsure of how the grills on the subs would hold up (if at all). Look into some stands from either Crutchfield or Parts Express or elsewhere or even build your own.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I would've thought the rattling of the top grille alone precluded such an arrangement? I have a 22-31 PCi, and when cranked up it vibrates a lot -- just for the hell of it, when I was still in the "demo" phase, I cranked it up, put a small but relatively heavy plastic bag on top, and it rattled all over the grille.

plus, it seems clear that you have to leave the port clear, otherwise you may get "whooshing" sounds as air is expelled from the port during use, or worse if it's blocked, it'll impair the performance of the sub and spoil the sound.

DonC@

Auditioning
Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered a single SVS sub and nOrh 4.0's all around and decided to use stands. Seems like there's a good chance that the port could be obstrcuted plus I won't have much flexibility in the placement.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks