What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Who has the rights to this beautiful looking adventure film? Another dvd that is non-anamorphic

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I remember seeing it on DVD many years ago and quite liking it. It never seems to get much play on television (if any), and barely had a theatrical release here in Toronto, but I would certainly like to see it again. Who did make it?

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I remember seeing this on the big screen at the Ziegfeld in Manhattan and being really impressed. I then planned to buy a bio of Sir Richard Burton and there was, in fact, a new one coming out, written by one Mervyn Rice. Well, there was an interview with Mr. Rice in the New York Times not long after I saw the movie and he expressed surprise at the sudden surge of interest in Burton and the way the book landed on the NYT Best Seller list. Neither he nor the interviewer (Edward Rothstein) even mentioned the movie, the probable cause of that surge of interest. I was so furious, I sought out another bio of Burton and purchased that. The movie may not have been a big hit, but if it spurred a few thousand readers to buy Mr. Rice's book, then that would have been enough to land it on the Best-Seller list. Is it too much to ask to give credit where credit is due?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw this cold at the USA Film Festival in Dallas on their biggest screen. The violence really surprised me, then again I did not know this was an R-rated movie. I think the screening was before the MPAA rated it. Great film, must be seen in a big screen to fully appreciate it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Vic Pardo said:
I remember seeing this on the big screen at the Ziegfeld in Manhattan and being really impressed. I then planned to buy a bio of Sir Richard Burton and there was, in fact, a new one coming out, written by one Mervyn Rice. Well, there was an interview with Mr. Rice in the New York Times not long after I saw the movie and he expressed surprise at the sudden surge of interest in Burton and the way the book landed on the NYT Best Seller list. Neither he nor the interviewer (Edward Rothstein) even mentioned the movie, the probable cause of that surge of interest. I was so furious, I sought out another bio of Burton and purchased that. The movie may not have been a big hit, but if it spurred a few thousand readers to buy Mr. Rice's book, then that would have been enough to land it on the Best-Seller list. Is it too much to ask to give credit where credit is due?
It is possible that they were not even aware of the film existence. Lots of people do not keep up with every film that is released.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I also saw it in Dallas, can't remember where, except that it was projected in 70mm. Astonishing film, beautifully shot. Played TCM sometime in October. I forgot to record it.

raphdude

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Lionsgate/Artisan May own the rights. It was a Carolco production (Rambo/Total Recall).

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
A couple of weeks back there was some interest in this title on another thread, and I posted there (can't find it now, alas) with some incorrect information. The original DVD was a pan-n-scan jobbie, and there was a bit of protest over it, and it was eventually re-released in widescreen, and, I thought, anamorphic. Dusted it off tonight to view it again, and was horrified to find it was a mere letterboxed transfer, and decidedly not anamorphic. My player did what it could to upscale, and I zoomed in to get the right ratio, but it was a pretty disheartening experience. So I'm hoping the version shown on TCM is in fact a high-def master. If so, then we might look forward to a BR of the title sometime down the road. DVD was released through Artisan, which distributed Carolco films to the home video market, and which was ultimately bought out by Lionsgate. All this according to Wikipedia which says that Lionsgate has the rights, viz --"video releases through Artisan have now been re-released under the Lionsgate Home Entertainment banner. After the sale, Artisan Entertainment, Inc. was renamed to Lions Gate Entertainment, Inc" -- but on the Carolco page, nobody is listed as having rights to Mountains of the Moon. Still, there is definitely some interest in the film, as witness this recent interview with Rafelson by Matt Zoller Seitz on the RogerEbert website. A fascinating interview, and Rafelson goes into some detail about the music in particular, which I always loved. Find it here -- http://www.rogerebert.com/demanders/mountains-of-the-moon-bob-rafelsons-lost-classic
-- and note that Seitz calls it a lost classic, which I have to admit, doesn't sound particularly hopeful.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
GlennF said:
I remember seeing it on DVD many years ago and quite liking it. It never seems to get much play on television (if any), and barely had a theatrical release here in Toronto, but I would certainly like to see it again. Who did make it?
Directed by Bob Rafelson, he of Five Easy Pieces, The Postman Always Rings Twice (Nicholson & Lange version), Blood and Wine. Very few of his films have been really well treated by the studios and given good video releases -- and sometimes not even very good releases, period. He makes films for grown-ups, and you get the impression that the marketing departments don't really know what to do with them.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
This is a superb and seriously underrated movie that seems to have passed under most peoples radar.

I would urge you to see it if you get the opportunity.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I remember liking it a lot when I reviewed it upon initial release (the violence bothered me a little, but I'm sure it'd be nothing now I'd bat an eyelid about), but I don't think I've seen it since. I might have the DVD around here some place, but I know I haven't watched it in a long, long time. A Blu-ray for this film is definitely deserved.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
There has been talk of Twilight Time trying to work with Lionsgate for Blu-Ray distribution rights for THE LIMEY, EXTREME PREJUDICE and other films. This would be right in their wheelhouse. But it's anyone's guess whether or not this will pan out.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
bujaki said:
I also saw it in Dallas, can't remember where, except that it was projected in 70mm. Astonishing film, beautifully shot. Played TCM sometime in October. I forgot to record it.
I'm pretty sure I saw it in 70mm, too, at AMC Glen Lakes. AMC Glen Lakes was one of a handful of theaters in the area to project in 70mm.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This was released in the UK as an anamorphic DVD, but still needs a Blu release. It is a gorgeously-photographed film that has never seen a decent video release. Terrific adventure, and from what I understand, historically accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks