Bush

Smashing Pumpkins

Soundgarden

Van Halen

Barbra Streisand

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
The Dave Matthews Band.

I just don't get it. What makes this band so popular.

And.....

Tina Turner. Well let's put it this way, I'd rather listen to Dave Matthews.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Nora Jones is the flavor of the month, at least in Austin. I don't get it. There is nothing distinguishing about her voice, if the DJ's didn't ID her I would have no idea who was singing.

The new Texas Monthly has her on the cover. WTF?

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
OK so I've been readin this thread and taking it all in, and I'll second a few:

DAVE MATTHEWS. I was in his starting ground VA in '93-'96 when he was getting big (went to his alma mater actually - UVa) He was popular there an everyone just knew he would make it big. I thought his stuff was pretty annoying, and never thought he would be as big as he is now.

U2. Excellent early stuff.

Aerosmith. Never did anything close to match the brilliance of "Dream On." A beneficiary of MTV if there ever was one.

Jimi Hendrix. Good guitar work, revolutionary in a way. But a pretty dull and uninteresting song library

David Bowie. Never like anything good by him, nor saw anything worthwhile in his music. Can someone explain his appeal?

But I didn't see anyone mention the first name that comes in to my mind when I hear overrated: Elvis Presley. Ok so the guy made his own inedlible mark on the music world no doubt, but I really don't like any of his music. He's not a good singer, or musician, and his songs aren't very good either.

OK, so I've said my piece.

Chris

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Metallica (Their 90s music)
Limp Bizkit (Would someone please kill these guys already)
Dave Mathews Band
U2
Bruce Springteen
Billy Joel
Michael Jackson (See Limp Bizkit)
"J-Lo" :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Eric Clapton
Korn
Any and all of these nu-metal bands - Limpkin Park,Muddle of Mud,Mudvayn,Slipknot - They all suck (IMHO)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jimi Hendrix. Good guitar work, revolutionary in a way. But a pretty dull and uninteresting song library
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but to say that Hendrix's guitar playing was revolutionary in a way sounds like damning it with faint praise, if you know what I mean.

And "dull and uninteresting song library." Hmmm. Just how familiar are you with Hendrix? I'm curious.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would have to add:

The Strokes

The White Stipes

The Vines

Bruce Springsteen

Norah Jones

Alicia Keys

Radiohead

But that being said, I still enjoy a lot of the music by the bands and artists mentioned above. I just think that the press and accolades they get are a little more a product of the marketing machine than their true talent. But, unlike real crapfests like J.No and Limp Bizkit, the bands listed above do have some comparable talent. I just wish that some of the press that the bands above get would go to more deserving bands, like the Roots, the Streets, Blackalicious, Wilco, Rufus Wainwright, among others.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
How about Frank Sinatra? He never learned to play an instrument. He never wrote a single piece of music. He never learned to sing in key, always sliding into a note. How in the world is he even considered a "musician"?

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Angelo, has arleady commented but this statement is just so ignorant I can't let it be. Jimi Hendrix song library is dull? LOL. Actually, I don't know what to say, except what songs do you think are dull and uninteresting?

Now to the topic, I would also second Frank Sinatra, I just cringe when I hear his stuff. On my Soprano's soundtrack I can't skip it fast enough.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Most over-rated musical artists? Just caught this on the rebound, and as its an IMHO forum, and giving into temptation a few times, nominate :

Mozart - actually, YES!! - often more irritating than Bernard Hermanns' Psycho theme

Beatles - used to feel that way about them (over-rated), hardly ever think about them now except as GOLDEN YEARS, NOTHING CAN TOUCH ME WHEN I"M THINKING OF THOSE GOLDEN YEARS. Would like to know what "close miking" means tho.

Rolling Stones - don't I wish they'd just fffffade away. (Dam that Buddy Holly!)

The Supremes - Hey Mr Tambourine Man, give it a break...

Steely Dan - cold, tho catchy ("Do it again"). And its hard to like a band named after a dildo

Madonna - probably unprintable so *********************************************** . Best work in pages of Penthouse

Eric Clapton - sappy erzatz blues, self pitying poseur (see Neil Young). Actually not God, try snivelling dog!

CCR - Springsteen with better riffs (workmanlike, but dullsville)

Celebrity tribute Albums - The usual suspects : Elton, Eric, BB, Pavarotti and Garth celebrating whoever..., or saving the world...

Canada's unholy trinity - Shania, Celine, and Alanis (at least, they've never performed together)

Where I disagree with some others' opinions, or can offer an explanation, for THE SECRETS OF THEIR SUCCESS :

Elvis - a channel for the id of 1956, a very emotive voice

Bowie - phrase maker for a glittering time, "All the young dudes, Carry the news", and a thousand others.

Velvet Underground. OK, as long as we remember ,THE SUBWAY IS NOT THE UNDERGOUND!

Geniuses : Dylan

Pretty Good : THE WHO; Doors - lucky for Jim, he died before becoming too ridiculous - he believed you cannot petition the lord with prayer. (See : "Speed jive, don't want to stay alive, when you're 25")

Never made a complete fool of himself - Roy Orbison (except for his movie).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Mozart?!?!!?
I definitely dont agree with the Hendrix statements but its his opinion guys.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
There are two general reasons why this sort of thread regularly appears on music forums:
1) The OP is genuinely interested in hearing other people's opinions about why they like an artist or band that the OP doesn't currently appreciate. Posting this kind of thread enables the OP to engage in stimulating debate, and maybe discover new kinds of music and new ways of music appreciation.
2) The OP merely wants to broadcast his or her disdain for artists or bands that many other people revere. Posting this kind of thread makes the OP feel superior to others, whom he or she considers plebeians.
How do you tell which kind of motive the OP of a particular thread of this sort has? Simple.
If the OP is grateful for receiving feedback, presents his or her arguments intelligently and in a well-thought-out way, and says things like, "I never thought of that way... I'll check it out again!", the OP is of the first category.
If the OP relishes dissenting opinions, replies to all accusations no matter how hostile or sarcastic, states his or her opinions as fact, and absolutely refuses to budge from a previously stated position, the OP is of the second category.
So... which category does this thread belong to? ;)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
A couple of artist that come to mind that fit into the overrated catagory:

1) Dave Matthews Band: It is amazing to me how people will complain about 'so and so artist always sounds the same...," to my ears, every song from this groups is a copy of their single. Nothing to exciting.

2) James Taylor: Simply boring.

3) Reba McEntire: I would would love to slap that constipated look right off her face. Another artist that every slow song and every up tempo song sounds like the last one she did.

4) Shania Twain: Leaves me cold. If it weren't for her looks she wouldn't be a star.

These are the top four that come into mind at the moment...I am sure that I have more to add :b most music these days leaves me cold.

Now...if you want to talk about under-rated artist I can go for hours!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I completely and totally agree with Chuck's list. But I'm also never comfortable with these kinda discussions, never seem to like them, and rarely find them instructive.

(Sorry to use your post as an example, Chuck, but I needed something I agreed with before going off an a rant!)

If something is extremely popular, even saturatingly so, and yet is obviously soul-less pap reduced to the lowest common denominator and genetically-enhanced for maximum non offensiveness, it will be an obvious target for inclusion here. But we already knew this, along with the simple rule-of-thumb that the bad taste of the masses can never truly be underestimated. It gives a few of us the chance to reiterate just how lame most of the us really are.

The only other real choice is a pet favorite of this or that subgroup, probably lionized all out of proportion, but not really "overrated" by a large enough mass of people to really matter on such a list (Gustav Mahler, the Velvet Underground, etc.). Then it simply devolves into a puncturing of someone else's pretensions, usually at the end of a thought process that goes something like this: "I hate hippies and their unattractive haircuts and musky scents... and I think the Grateful Dead are the most overrated band to ever walk the Earth!". You know... it becomes a way to indirectly insult people different from who we might be.

That's why I think I never like these discussions.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
OK, I'll admit that I'm not too familiar with alot of Jimi's works, mainly the stuff I hear on the radio. I know that's not always the best gauge, but these are supposedly his best songs, and I just really don't care for them. If there are some more obscure works I might not know about and should check out, let me know and I will.

Chris

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Chris,

Try listening to "1983...(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)" from Electric Ladyland. Truly awesome song, plus I've never heard it played on the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks