What's new

Good 80s music (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
While everyone talks of the criticly acclaimed 1980s music( lots of the bands listed here by other members are Rolling Stone musts), sometimes its just nice to listen to some 80s happy-pop. Anything with a guitar in it today is generally quite dark, everything else it seems is written by anybody other than the performers. Top 40 just isn't the same.

Theres lots of great 80s syntho out there. The likes of Trans X, Man to man meet man parrish, Bronski Beat, Flock of Seagulls, Human League, Payolas, General Public, The Spoons... these are some of the lost and forgottens that never had the exposure and did a quick run in the top 40. Sure, I grew up in the 80s (so yes I'm a little biased) but at least the music isn't as depressing like it has been for the last 10 years. Not to say I don't like todays music because I do; perhaps its just the magic of the 80s.... OK...enough, now I'm rambling

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i've got so much 80's music it's almost embarassing. i just started getting into cd's in the 80's and at my peak i was probably buying two or three cd's a week.
some other's i don't think i saw mentioned:
alphaville, soft-cell, tears for fears, falco, eurythmics, fgth, pet shop boys, erasure, concrete blonde, new order, depeche mode, b-52's, adam ant, etc.
lots of good stuff in the 80's. i still smile everytime i hear modern english's "melt with you".
:)

Brian O

Second Unit
The first half of the '80s seemed to be better than the second half largely due to the 2nd coming of the European Invasion. This music really dominated the first half of the 80s and was fresh and upbeat. The first half seemed to have alot of variety from new artists and veterans that hit their stride. It was an enjoyable time for music.

Here are some that come to me:

Madonna

Journey

Foreigner

Styx - Pre Mr.Roboto

Police

Pat Benatar

Survivor

Toto

Van Halen

Bryan Adams

Def Leppard

Duran Duran

Scorpions

Night Ranger

Triumph

David Bowie - Lets Dance

Rush

Hall & Oates

Bruce Hornsby

Chicago

Tina Turner

Aerosmith

Bon Jovi

Thats off the top of my head. I prefer good vocals, with the Beatles being my foundation growing up. Overall, I found the '80s to have better, more enjoyable vocal talent than the '90s. That is probably due to Rap and the Grunge influence lowering the common denominator for vocals in the '90s. I think the internet also allowed alot of "garage-bands" to have exposure to the masses. Many of them would have been weeded out before.

There were alot of one-hit wonders in the 80s, but that is true of every decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks