What's new

Most Overrated Music Artist (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
I second Shania Twain...she's hot, but that's about it.

Other musical acts that are overrated in my book--

Limp Biskit (will Fred Durst ever learn how to sing?)

Guns 'N' Roses (some of their stuff is great, but after all the B.S. this band has done over the last decade, how are they anything more than a footnote in rock history?)

Leann Rimes (great voice, but 95% of her songs are awful)

Garth Brooks (great live show and some decent songs, but he was too full of himself to ever make a lasting impact)

Eminem (WTF?)

KISS (I do like them, but a lot of their songs are one-dimensional...however, their live show is fantastic)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Try listening to "1983...(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)" from Electric Ladyland. Truly awesome song, plus I've never heard it on the radio.
Oh my song, and IMO the greatest song ever created. Simply breath-taking. "And they said it was impossible for a man to live and breath underwater"

I had this long rambling post so I will just keep it short.

Are You Experienced

Castles Made Of Sand

Bold As Love

Voodoo Chile(slight return) just for words alone. - There are plenty of more but these are my top 5.

The problem is that the radio rarely plays Jimi's best stuff, I guess most people just think of him as a wild stage performer instead of the genius that he is.

Electric Ladyland is just IMO the greatest album ever created and every song is awesome and can pretty much stand on it's own. Good and Evil lay side by side while Electric Love penetrates the sky."

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I have always thought Sinatra was overrated. Here is a guy who was literally stealing money the last 20 years of his life doing the same old.

Springsteen also has to fall into this category. He is held up high yet has not put anything great out for close to 20 years.

J

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Artists who have stood the test of time can hardly be considered over-rated.

Most of the over-rated bunch comes from the Over-Hyped-Studio-Machine. Pop stars that they jam down our necks as the "Next Big Thing" usually are over-rated.

I will never consider The Beatles/ The Who/ The Stones/ Jimi Hendrix/ Pink Floyd etc... over-rated.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the Hendrix recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out. I know it's not always fair to judge a band or musician solely base on their popular material (that which gets the most publicity/airtime).

Chris

PrinzII

Agent
I am of the same school of thought as LawrenceK. It's hard to be subjective to something you are not familiar with.

With that said, I actually like Erykah Badu because her first album, "Baduism" was a bit different than most of the mainstream R&B at that time. I actually liked it because it was refreshing to hear an artist use something different than sampling old school R&B.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
threads like this remind me why i rarely visit the movie forum. it's the same kind of stuff.
"this movie is great."
"no, it sucks."
"no, you suck cuz you don't like it"
"no, you really suck cuz you're stupid"
anyway, you get my point.
music is subjective guys. leave it at that and move on!
note: i do appreciate andrew's frequent injection of humor...some of those had me bustin' up!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
WTF? All The Young Dudes was Mott the Hoople, not David Bowie!
Bowie wrote it, produced it for Mott, and did his own versions. He recorded a studio version that didn't see the (official) light of day until a few years ago, but he did it MANY times live, dating back to 1973. It's a Bowie song, even if Mott popularized it...

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
This thread is absolutly pointless. Why? Because everyone's taste in music will be DIFFERENT!

Just because YOU think some band "sucks" or is a "waste of time" or "overrated," that doesn't mean everyone else will too.

Music is like movies, just because you don't like some movie, that doesn't mean your friend won't either.

Why is this so hard for people to understand??

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
There's nothing wrong with discussing our opinions about music, but this thread is a (mean-spirited) dead horse that has been beaten beyond recognition.

Please close this thread.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There's nothing wrong with discussing our opinions about music, but this thread is a (mean-spirited) dead horse that has been beaten beyond recognition.
Oh, bitter irony! The only reason this thread continues to exist is because people keep griping about it!

Nick_G

Stunt Coordinator
Nirvana
Springsteen
Dylan
Neil Young
Pink Floyd
Styx
Rush
that's all for now. i'm sure i'll come back and add more to get more people PO'd at my choices. :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks