What's new

More Windows SErver 2003 Questions (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey all,

Just downloaded the evalutation copy from microsoft, and if I'm going to use this as my main operating system from now on, two concerns.

I have an SB Live Audigy 5.1 card. I can't seem to get my sound to work with the system. Also, even though it says my RAGE 9000 AIW card is supported, I can't get it to install the display driver or TV Tuner functions properly. I'm going to need all of this/ IF not, I'm going to have to install it on my sisters computer who mainly uses it just for email...

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ok. Both of these items absolutely will work in Server 2003. You will need to get WHQL drivers, but in checking with the MS DB, you should be able to get them via a windows update (they'll be listed in the custom/optional install mode)

Cheers!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OK, I'll try and look for them manually, but I didn't see them when I ran windows update in Server 2003. I just got a bunch of Security updates..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I just installed Service PAck SP 1. My little ATI Icon now pops up properly, so the graphics card is working. But I still can't get the TV tuner or audio to work properly. Can you give me a direct link to these drivers? Searches on official and ms sites brought up nothing.

Thanks

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize you said AIW. To my knowledge, there is no support for the TV Tuner in Server2003, as it lacks the overlay device support.. I may be wrong on this, let me look, but I'm pretty sure this is not going to work out for you on that end.

JohnClark

Auditioning
that and Windows 2003 Server is not meant to be a DESKTOP OS, hence the name SERVER in the title...

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Yeah, I know. But you'd think they'd include support for it. That's why I uninstalled the extra hard drive and put it on my sisters Dell. THey only use it for printing, email and AIM anyway, so it's better suited there. So to chris, no need to search for those drivers. I now only have to worry about getting my sound card working on it..

JohnClark

Auditioning
again, since it is suppose to be used as a server, not everyday like Windows XP, it is not surprising at all that it wouldn't support an AIW card...in fact, things like sounds and regular Internet browsing are DISABLED by default in Windows 2003 Server..plus, with all the extra services running in the background on a server, performance is more than likely to be average at best..might want to rethink using it..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey all,

Finally got sound working since I started this thread....and the server is now up and running :). If you see Link Removed I did my job properly :)

Thanks!

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
hey, I checked out the AIW stuff when I used to run a 2k3 server (use linux now) ATI's wdm drivers are the problem, they don't support server 2k3.

I wanted to set up a streaming video server so I could push some tv out to myself when I was away from home. ended up having to use a hauppauge card in lieu of the radeon AIW. It worked just fine, so there isn't any reason why the ati card couldn't work.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, Streaming Video server. Don't know too much about those.

Is that alot of work to setup? I don't get GSN here at home, but we get it down the shore. If a STreaming Video Server will allow me to view it, I might have to set one up :)..

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Not too bad to set up really, using a program called vlc which can be downloaded for free at videolan.org they offer version for windows and linux. Though I'm am still worknig on getting video4linux working with either of my tv cards. Anyway, they have full documentation for setting it all up, it's actually pretty easy and the results are really nice.

In the forums there's even a thread for setting up a php webpage to control the tv channel on demand!

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldn't vnc create a choppy picture? What about the sound? I have been on the fence about creating my own home media pc with xp media center and a hauppage card. Then have the pc send the video to my theater and possible over the internet. But getting a really smooth picture over the internet is difficult with out a heavy duty connection - no?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks