What's new

More Sony problems: Is it convergence circuitry or static set up? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm going through quite the ordeal with my Sony KP51WS500.

Not surprisingly, it developed the infamous "flicker" problem.

The CRTs have been replaced, but ever since then my convergence will not hold and keeps drifting even after short periods of time. This is also affecting geometry.

I joined a Yahoo group for Sony HDTV owners and one of the ISF techs who is a member there seems to feel there is a problem with the static set up of the CRTs.

He tells me that the values for Center and Skew in the service menu should be in the low double digit range. The Skew values are in that range, but the Center values are in the 250+ range, which he felt was indicative of a problem with the static set up and is likely what is causing the convergence to drift.

The problem is, I cannot get any of the techs who have come here to do warranty service to even consider that this might be the underlying issue. Two of them have claimed that the static set up and CRT focusing would have no impact on whether or not the convergence holds. As such, they will not even look at that.

The tech who was here today theorized that the problem lies with the convergence circuitry and that it is merely a remakable coincidence that this problem started at exactly the same time that the CRTs were replaced. :rolleyes

Obviously we have two conflicting opinions. I'm starting this thread in the hopes of getting some feedback from others who may have experienced this problem as well as hopefully from some of the ISF techs who are members here.

Help me out please, guys. I'm at my wits end with this thing. :confused:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I've noticed something else interesting.

The actual numeric values corresponding to the various convergence adjustments in the service menu are spontaneously changing, even after being saved.

This appears to be confined to the values for CENT, SKEW, SIZE and LIN, but is occurring in all display modes.

I don't think that is supposed to happen, is it?

Anyone?

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Rain,

I sympathize. I had the flicker and bad techs. Wound up doing geometry and focus on my own.

This appears to be confined to the values for CENT, SKEW, SIZE and LIN, but is occurring in all display modes.
I don't think the coarse convergence data is supposed to change but I'm not sure. I don't think they would change unless you were making *major* changes in fine convergence.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
No, they are changing all by themselves. :frowning:

The new working theory over at the Yahoo group is that one of the memory chips for the PJE mode is faulty.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
What does this "flicker" look like?
Basically just that: A flicker.

Believe me, if you get it, you will notice.

Most people encounter the flicker accompanied by a greenish tint to the overall image. Always having to be different, I actually had a reddish tint.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I had the red tint too. Then before a CRT swap my A and D boards were swapped which took away the red tint and gave me green tint.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks