What's new

More proof that Artisan is the worst studio out there (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Their new releases are generally quite good-- "The Limey," "Ghost Dog," "The Ninth Gate" and "Requiem For A Dream" are some of the best transfers around. It's their catalog product which is so problematic.
This is a very valid point which should not be ignored. Does anyone besides me own The Limey??? Not only is the transfer top-notch, but you should also notice that the DVD has a special feature demontrating the benefits of anamorphic widescreen. Obviously someone was responsible for that demonstration and clearly that same someone cares about the transfer. The whole issue is not as "black and white" as it may seem.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Their new releases are generally quite good-- "The Limey," "Ghost Dog," "The Ninth Gate" and "Requiem For A Dream" are some of the best transfers around. It's their catalog product which is so problematic.
The Limey is great, Ghost Dog leaves a LOT to be desired. They sure put the "ghost" in Ghost Dog by pumping up the edge enhancement to obscene levels. Gives quite a ghost effect to all of the characters. Oh well.

Will K

Screenwriter
Credit should be given where due and some of those titles are of great quality, but catalog titles don't deserve the shoddy treatment Artisan is giving them(as if major studios aren't guilty of this to an extent as well, cough Di$ney cough). If Requiem or The Limey had been made in 1992, they'd likely suffer a similar fate.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If I may add...

Artisan isn't totally bad. The problem is that they obviously have no sense of quality control. I don't know how ANYONE would let a transfer like The Quiet Man even make it to a DVD.

The amount of effort put into a DVD always shows. Put no effort, it shows. Put a lot of effort in, it shows.

It goes for any studio.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I'm still a little miffed at the shoddy transfer on the 'Reservoir Dogs' special edition. Although I will say they handled 'Glengarry Glen Ross' excellently considering it's definitely a catalogue title.

Anyone else going to drop a line to Mr. Jeffrey "Rat" Fink as well?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
What's with them reducing the price of GGR and RD SE to half-price (at least here, in B&M's) so soon? Low prices are good, but I feel stupid for supporting them at release time. Oh well, I sure won't be picking up any more Artisan releases when new, I can wait a few months.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone besides me own The Limey??? Not only is the transfer top-notch, but you should also notice that the DVD has a special feature demontrating the benefits of anamorphic widescreen. Obviously someone was responsible for that demonstration and clearly that same someone cares about the transfer. The whole issue is not as "black and white" as it may seem.
I have seen The Limey on DVD and it looked great. However, I won't be purchasing the DVD since they will supposedly be releasing this on D-Theater!

Same goes for Glengarry Glen Ross, which should look fantastic on D-Theater. Ghost Dog is also going to be released on this format.

I know Artisan releases some crap (ok, quite a bit). No doubt about it. But they have also released some good material as well, and they get some credit from me for supporting the D-Theater format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks