What's new

More EMI SACD's : Bowie, Roxy Music, Deep Purple, Spandau Ballet (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Emil, thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I could not get your link to work.
Doesn't Warner own the rights to Deep Purple Machine Head? Isn't it already out on DVD-Audio? :confused:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Emil, while I could not get your link to work, I found the news. Here are some quotes from euphoricsounds.com:

* Also penned for release is Spandau Ballet "True" (SACD, March), Deep Purple "Machine Head" (Hybrid MC SACD, March). For many of us, Spandau Ballet hold a special place in our hearts and I'm sure this is a welcome addition :)

* Looking a little further down the line, Roxy Music "Avalon, 21st Anniversary" (Hybrid MC SACD, May)
David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust" (DVD plus Hybrid MC SACD, June) as penned in for release. As always with these kinds of things (anyone remember the issues with Roxy Music - The Best of?) schedules are subject to change. You know where you heard it first for the UK!
I still don't understand how Machine Head could be coming out on SACD.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Hi Keith,

Sorry about that. I fixed the link.

As to Machine Head, EMI owns the Europe rights and hence the SACD release.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Emil, thanks for the fixing the link. Now that you mention it, I remember reading awhile back that EMI owned the rights to Machine Head in Europe. That's an odd arrangement. I might look to get it as an import SACD. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming,
I too am looking forward to the Spandau Ballet SACD. :)
All,
There is debate on Steve Hoffman's forum as to whether the studio album or movie soundtrack to Ziggy Stardust will be released on SACD. Hopefully it will be the studio album.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah!!! Spandau Ballet!!!

EMI should consider releasing SB's "The Singles Collection" on SACD.

When's Duran Duran's turn on SACD??? Capitol should really consider releasing Duran Duran's albums on SACD as a way of celebrating the upcoming studio album with all five original members.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I should clarify, though, that at the moment I have no opinion as to SACD v. DVD-A. since my intention was always to get a universal player sometime in the future, it doesn't matter to me which hi-res format it's released on, just that there's something of sufficient interest on either to get me to take the plunge.

Duran Duran on hi-res? hmmmmm...

there's a new studio album with all 5 members? details please!

must say, though, that admittedly Spandau & Duran stuff were "fluffy pop", and I'm not sure that hi-res is really "necessary" nor relevant to their material. it's not as if they were really really really meticulous craftsmen, like say the Floyd.

please don't construe this as bashing either, though, I'm a fan and own most of their albums. legacy of being an 80s kid.

slightly OT: just about the only stuff I have autographed is my Spandau albums. I have the True and Parade CDs, as well as a Parade LP, autographed by Tony Hadley, when he came to Singapore to promote his solo album. my sister was a DJ on the local radio station promoting the trip, so she interviewed him, and got him to sign my stuff. later, I also met him after a club performance, and we had a nice chat about Arsenal FC...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Danny asked:
When's Duran Duran's turn on SACD???
Oh, don't tease me like that! ;) I would buy Rio on SACD the minute it became available. That would be way cool. I'd love to hear "Save a Prayer" and "Rio" on SACD. Of course, I am still waiting for a DVD-Video disc with their '80s videos. :frowning:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Spandau Ballet and Roxy Music ?!! Ziggy Stardust :emoji_thumbsup:
I'm having a massive 80s flashback. :D
This is great news! :)
I hope we will see more Spandau Ballet titles.
I would also like to see The Stranglers, one of my favorite New Wave bands eventually...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming,
Go to Duran Duran's official website and check out the progress on the upcoming studio album with all five original members. I just checked and new photos from the recording session is up. Is that Niles Rodgers??
As to whether Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran belong on "hi-rez" formats, I figure if Frankie Goes To Hollywood can get the "hi-rez" treatment, so can 2 of the biggest bands of the 80s.
A comment about my post above regarding Duran Duran on SACD....I will take DD on either "hi-rez" format.
Keith,
I not only want to hear "Girls on Film" in "hi-rez", I probably need to see the unedited video as well :emoji_thumbsup:

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
...Still waiting to hear if the three LeRoux albums that EMI had in the UK (Capitol in the US) will come out on SACD...
:D
That's one of my personal benchmarks for getting into hi-rez.
Duran Duran might be another.
Joel

cwhite

Second Unit
Roxy Music's Avalon should sound fantastic in high resolution because, I believe, it was recorded at 30ips. Still remains one of the most beautiful recorded albums ever.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Go to Duran Duran's official website
"fascinating"
especially that photo with Roger Taylor partly hidden by his drum-kit. unlike the others, he's been out of sight for many years, and it's nice to see that it's a reunion of all five members and not just some.
sadly, I doubt Spandau will ever re-group. anyone know exactly the outcome of the lawsuit? IIRC Hadley, Norman & Keeble sued Gary Kemp, something to do with royalties and all that, which Kemp would earn in spades since he was the sole credited songwriter in all instances save the final album.
either which way, I think I'm "fan-boy" enough to pony up again for another copy of the classics on whatever hi-res format they show up on. "True", "Parade" and "Through the Barricades" are no-brainers, as are "Rio" and "Seven and the Ragged Tiger". the rest, I'd have to think carefully though. maybe the "best-of" collections as well.
ouch, that's triple-dipping now, I bought the cassettes all those years ago, replaced most with CD in the 90s, now it's another round...
(is Duran's "The Greatest" available on DVD? I have it on crappy VHS, complete with unedited Girls on Film :D but a DVD copy would be nice...)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I believe Gary Kemp won the lawsuit with the other members of Spandau Ballet. Those other guys should've known better than have just a verbal agreement.

Perhaps Spandau Ballet may consider a reunion tour as the opening act for the "original" Duran Duran. Power Station and Acadia can drop by as well.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Spandau Ballet and Roxy Music ?!! Ziggy Stardust
I'm having a massive 80s flashback.
In the case of Ziggy, it actually flashes all the way back to the 70s ;), even the early ones...
That said, it sounds interesting, the movie remastered and the CD as well. I wonder if they are talking about the movie soundtrack (which I know is being relseaed in a remastered version) or the studio album (which only just was re-released (again) whith a bunch of bonus tracks)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks