What's new

More EMI SACD's : Bowie, Roxy Music, Deep Purple, Spandau Ballet (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mikael said:
I wonder if they are talking about the movie soundtrack (which I know is being relseaed in a remastered version) or the studio album (which only just was re-released (again) whith a bunch of bonus tracks)?
I just picked up a mint copy of the rare original RCA CD of Ziggy Stardust. Although I have no other version for comparison, the RCA CD sounds great. I haven't had a chance to compare my Rykodisc CD ChangesBowie yet.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
in response to this thread, I played the True album for the first time in a while, and for the first time ever on my current setup (DVD player as transport, Marantz SR8200, Mission 782 fronts).

the main thing that struck me was that on source direct and with volume relatively low (it was late in the evening), the bass seemed rather anemic. my front pair is supposed to go to 48Hz. with the amp in "stereo" mode instead of source direct, i.e. bass management is in effect and feeds my SVS25-31PCi (tuned 22), the bass was very much more in evidence, and I heard an interesting "twist", if you will, in the bassline which I hadn't heard before.

sorry if this is all somewhat off-topic. I was wondering, though, to what extent SACD would "rectify" this, as it seem more a hardware than software issue.

I also had the impression that the recording, or perhaps more specifically the CD, wasn't exactly the best. as a self-confessed tin-eared noobie, so far my rough way of telling fidelity (or lack thereof) is to listen specifically for "crispness" in cymbals and hi-hats. in extensive A/B comparison of the SR8200 v. the SR7200, there was a discernable difference between the two, hence my reliance on this as a "test". sadly my True CD seemed less than "crisp".

it also occurs to me that whilst the releases say True will be on SACD, there's no mention of multi-channel. does that mean by default it will be 2-channel SACD only?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Please, please, please...

Let the SACD of Machine Head include both discs of the European edition: remixed *and* remastered versions.

Please, please, please...

I absolutely freaking refused to buy the stupid DVD-A, because to me, "less" isn't "more".

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, two discs would be nice. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Somewhat off-topic, but related to former Spandau Ballet frontman Tony Hadley. From the BBC news website today....

I guess Tony will need as much royalties as he can get from the sales of Spandau Ballet SACD

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I've seen that link before. From the abbeyrd link:
Just a snippet...a straw in the wind perhaps? A friend of mine who runs 'Onionheart' record shop here in Exmouth, Devon was talking to EMI about future releases....as well as the 'Anthology' DVDs, he was told that the Beatles back catalogue is to be released on SACD (note not DVD-A) this year. I am pressing him to get any more info he can, and this may just be the 'Let It Be/Get Back' project, but I'll pass on more news if I get any!
I think this same "friend" woke up once in a bathtub full of ice water after having his kidney removed. It really happened, I tell you! :D

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Emil, charles white, Danny Tse et al.:
Terrific news.
Let's hope the merger/acquisition rumblings about EMI don't futz with these release plans.
Yes, Charles: although I don't know about 30ips, Bob Clearmountain's engineering and mix on Avalon is nearly legendary.
Perhaps the rights situation with Avalon is like Machine Head? Avalon is a Warner release in the U.S., so I doubt we'll be seeing a domestic Avalon SACD.
Indeed, Danny: is that Nile Rodgers!? He looks a little young to be Nile, but maybe . . . That would be outstanding if he is producing/engineering the new record and perhaps involved in the creation of a multichannel mix for SACD release. I'll never forget the first time I heard his "12 inch" remix of "The Reflex." :emoji_thumbsup:
"Every little thing The Reflex does/Leaves me answered with a question mark,"
Cheers,
Paul

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Just a quick update:
I see that Amazon.de is listing the release date of 3/21/03 for the Spandau Ballet - True SACD.
:emoji_thumbsup:

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Roxy Music Avalon on Multi-Channel SACD?

Pinch me I'm dreaming! This is only one of the greatest albums of all-time. Right up there with Steely Dan's Aja which also should be on SACD BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks