What's new

More BBC (Britcom) titles coming! (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
After reading another post about Ab Fab and other Britcoms, I called BBC America and asked about other titles missing from the DVD format.
The Customer Relations person gave me a call back to inform me that Are You Being Served? will be coming out next year to coincide with it's 30th Anniversary in a 5 disc or more set.
Keeping Up Appearances is also slated but a date has yet to be set in 2002.
My understanding from the conversation is that they wanted to see how the DVD market demands went before committing to further releases. Now that it has proved itself, they will eventually place all titles on DVD format.
Way To Go BBC!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
"Are You Being Served?"
Gads, I remember this acting like a cancer on public television, squeezing out actual funny shows so it could be aired every freaking night! Grrr....
::sniff:: No "Red Dwarf"?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Keeping Up Appearances will definiitely find a spot on my shelf.
I hope the PAL -> NTSC conversion is done with care. I'd really like these DVDs too be worth the investment!
-dave

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jason, Red Dwarf will start around the same time as the movie comes out, next fall give or take

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Easily the second most popular Britcom in America has to be As Time Goes By. Hopefully they will get this one on DVD soon!
I wouldn't mind having Are You Being Served?, but a little Hyacinth goes a long way. I don't know if I could survive a boxed set.

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
Those titles are nice but I want more from the BBC and British Comedy. Where's Brass Eye? Ripping Yards? hey what about Rutland Weekend Television!!!!????
:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I am VERY excited to see Are You Being Served? coming to DVD. I hope all episodes are released in box sets. This is GREAT! Wait 'til I tell the missus...and my friends...and my other friends...oh, there's a co-worker I must dial up *immediately*!! This is terrific! 4 sales without even trying...
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
How about the Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin?
I don't even remember the names of most of the BBC series I'd like to see, but this is definitely one of them. A few years ago I lived someplace where I could pick up the Dallas PBS station and they played a very nice variety of britcoms. I actually enjoy Are You Being Served, but there were others I liked a lot more, that don't seem to have much exposure here.
In addition to Perrin, I think one was called The Good Life that I'd buy, and another that I think had the stars of To the Manor Born, but they were secretly married co-workers or some such thing.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm with David Lambert,
I will buy all Are You BEing Served DVDs!!
I'm a huge fan!
------------------

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Put me down for The Young Ones. Unfortunately, I bet music rights hassles may bog this series down indefinitely.
frown.gif
They could release them without the musical guest appearances, but that would bite mightily.
------------------
"Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to get Butterflies and The Bounder but, as far as I know, neither series was ever released on VHS—so I'm not holding my breath.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Just to pick up on a couple of things:
Rumpole is not the BBC's. It was made by one of the commercial channels called Granada, who so far have been pretty sluggish in visiting their archive (e.g. they also own Brideshead Revisited).
Ripping Yarns is already out on R2, so there's hope you might get it on the other side of the Pond.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I will definitely be picking up Are You Being served, and I am unanimous in that! :)
Also look forward to Red Dwarf and Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (hopefully in proper episodic form this time!)
------------------
kdp.jpg

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
correction re Rumpole - it was made by Thames television and their archive is owned by Pearson. There are no UK releases of Rumpole on DVD but it is shown weekly on a UK digital channel.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
What about the lost classics of The Goodies? I would also be in for Reginald Perrin and Ripping Yarns.

Larry Gelfand

Premium
Real Name
Larry Gelfand
>correction re Rumpole - it was made by Thames television and
>their archive is owned by Pearson.
Pearson has apparently changed their name to FremantleMedia (ref. http://www.pearsontv.com/ ).
...still waiting for R1 (NTSC) release of Danger Mouse (another Pearson title).
[Edited last by Larry Gelfand on November 14, 2001 at 08:09 AM]

Keith Yatsuhashi

Stunt Coordinator
You know, the only BBC series I want to see on DVD is Yes Minister and its sequel, Yes Prime Minister. I hope they come soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks