What's new

Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Craig_Ehr said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and differ with most of you, but I thought the PQ of this BD was just God awful. It is because of the grain. And no, I am not one to bemoan film grain...on the contrary. What irks me is the shocking level of what I can only call "phantom liquid ghosting" grain which seems to follow moving objects around. It is as if the whole film were set underwater and any movement causes the grain "particles" to move in a wake. It is very noticeable to my eye. It's like everyone has Predator cloaks but they aren't invisible, or perhaps some bad X-Files fx. Anyhow, I don't think I've seen this particular artifact on any other BD thus far, and I sincerely hope I do not again. Very distracting.
I finally got around to picking this up. I just watched it noticed it right off the bat. "Wavy liquid grain" surrounding characters as they move. Frozen grain patterns in the sky. Edge enhancement. Not good. Sony generally releases the best quality bluray discs but this one is a big dissapointment. They left Jason And The Argonauts alone, wish they would have done the same here.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Scott Calvert said:
I finally got around to picking this up. I just watched it noticed it right off the bat. "Wavy liquid grain" surrounding characters as they move. Frozen grain patterns in the sky. Edge enhancement. Not good. Sony generally releases the best quality bluray discs but this one is a big dissapointment. They left Jason And The Argonauts alone, wish they would have done the same here.
Originally Posted by paidgeek: "The title was extremely grainy so we tried the Lowry process and liked the results. There are a couple of scenes that show artifacts of the process (shots of the sky in particular), but the overall result was a big improvement. This will be something of a test for other titles that have similar issues, so I will be interested to read any and all comments from those who see the results." Source Link. Paul

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
"The title was extremely grainy so we tried the Lowry process and liked the results. There are a couple of scenes that show artifacts of the process (shots of the sky in particular), but the overall result was a big improvement. This will be something of a test for other titles that have similar issues, so I will be interested to read any and all comments from those who see the results." Very interesting, thanks for posting that Paul. I guess they decided not to move forward with this process for other titles as everything else I have seen by them is A-OK. EDIT: something went haywire with the quote function.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Lowry seems to have worked through this frozen grain problem in the meantime, but it's always disappointing to find it when revisiting certain titles. I was shocked at how nasty Moonraker looked when I watched it a few months back.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Well guys, it's almost 4 years after this transfer has been done. Much has improved films on HD disc. Restorations have become better. It seems that the studio workers are using the tools much better. Sure, there is still the odd bad job here and there...but we can be thankful that it isn't widespread and there are great looking film on HD video. Yup...it sure sucks when we watch an old transfer that looks horrible!

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Forgot I posted here! Turns out I was right on The Holy Grail. It was a fine disc. Looking back, I was wrong on Life of Brian. I've gone through two displays since my original posts and have a better idea what harm can be done with too much DNR.

I read on another forum that Life of Brian got a 4K restoration. I hope it turns out better this time around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks