What's new

Monty Python series R2? (1 Viewer)

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know whether the BBC have plans to release a box set similar to the one by A&E? So far, they've only released a single "Best of" disc. Rather ironic, seeing as they were the ones to first broadcast the series, and that it would be logical to offer a PAL version, this being closer to the original. They did a splendid job on I, Claudius - why they would hold off with something like this is a mystery to me.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Although well-known and liked, Monty Python is probably not quite as popular in the UK as in e.g. the USA. Also, the DVD market over here is less developed than in e.g. the USA. Thus, the impetus to release Monty Python DVDs in the UK may not be as great as at first supposed.

Having said all that, I agree that it's surprising more hasn't been done. There has been no 'best of' volume 2 and other series released on DVD at the same time or later (e.g. Porridge, Yes, Minister)have now had second DVDs released. I can only assume it's down to the usual 'contractual issues'.

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure you have a point in that Monty Python is probably more of a cult phenomenon abroad than in the UK. That said, though, I also suppose that contractual issues would be the most likely explanation. Even this would surprise me, though, since some of the episodes in the "Best of" disc must also be in the American release, if it really is complete. Also, to my knowledge, there is a "Best of" series covering the entire run on VHS, also published by the BBC. Even if they would need to remaster it, it seems absurd that they haven't at least put that entire version on DVD by now.
Also, I don't think finding a market for such a release should be a problem. I would guess that even in the UK, more people would want to get their hands on this rather than I, Claudius (which I appreciate a lot). :) And, of course, we shouldn't forget that we're not just talking about Britain - I assume that as with so many releases nowadays, the discs would be distributed throughout Europe. And lastly, of course, potential buyers could be found around the world, among members of Region 2, PAL users, or anybody interested in seeing the series in its original broadcast format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks