What's new

MONSTERS sets record - but for WHAT reason? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It seemed almost no one in my crowd new the Ep2 trailer was going to be there, but there was a lot of excited murmers afterwards. I'm more upset that I confirmed last night that someone in the projection booth cropped the movie to 4:3 to fit the IMAX screen. Next time I go back I'm complaining, because I wasn't sure if it was a hard matte or not
Jeff Kleist

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I saw it at a sold out matinee on Friday, and exactly three people audibly expressed excitement when the Star Wars trailer came on, although a few more made some noise when it was over. No one walked out. I think the impact was minor at best. I think great marketing and a good Pixar track record were the major factors. It probably did not hurt that there have not been many high profile family films in theaters for a while, either.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm one of the biggest Star Wars fans on this forum, and I only went to see the movie. I've been wanting to see it since I've heard of it. The teaser was only an added bonus (and boy was it sweet
biggrin.gif
). Personally, I think Ron Epstein's just mad because a movie he didn't like is doing extremely well at the box office.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Did the film set a record on its own merits
or because people went to that film specifically
to see the Episode I trailer?

I think Monster's did it on its own merits. Mostly kids in my audience. I knew about the trailer myself, but went to see Monsters.
I'd never pay to just see a trailer. If for example the trailer had been in front of Shallow Hal, I'd have bought a ticket to a different show, entered Hal's theater to watch the previews, then gone on to my own show.
--
However the better question I'd like to know is:
Is this an actual record based on increased number of viewers and repeat viewers, or is it just a new all time high because ticket sales have been steadily increasing.
New "records" are meaningless in my mind without without knowing actual ticket sales.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I think Monsters Inc. made its money almost entirely due to the main feature. I didn't notice anyone leaving the theater following the SW trailer.
Perhaps its just that Pixar has now proven itself as a foolproof entertainment option for families. Not many studios could tout Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc. as their first four releases.
Pixar is easily batting 1.000 so far, and their slugging percentage is almost incalculable.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Excellent thread and opinions.
Thanks guys!
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Oh Please!
Ron/All,
If you think for a minute that getting feedback from die hard movie lovers (on this site) as representative of the general movie public (and their thoughts) then you need to go outside and get some fresh air.
The general movie public does not know (and therefore can't care) about what previews are being shown and when. They have a much more balance life than most of us. So the premise of asking this group why the movie succeeded in its opening week is a poor one.
One sure thing, the majority of people go to a movie because they want to see that movie.
Ron, I can only hope that you posted this thread as a sad attempt to be provocative (and that's fine).
Now it is my turn to be provocative, I'm so tired of seeing guys wasting life on shreds of information about Star War movies. If only half the energy some of you put into this were to be put in spending quality time with your wife and kids - then your/their lives would be so much richer. What no wife and kids? Then get away from the computer and find someone to love and if that works out have some kids.
The rest of this stuff is not even stuff - it is "unstuff." Kernels of information about something that might be stuff. Which is pretty sad as stuff doesn't even matter much when you're sitting in a room alone!
Now getting down from his high horse,
Rich

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
At the U.S. box office:
- Toy Story made $191 million
- A Bug's Life made $162 million
- Toy Story 2 made $245 million
So based on Pixar's strong past box office performance and the growing recognition of their name as a stamp of quality by the public, I think the Star Wars trailer had a negligible impact ( < 1% at best) on the opening receipts of Monster, Inc.
------------------
"It is the customary fate of new truths to begin as heresies and to end as superstitions." - T. H. Huxley

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I disagree...this movie did not have 'Toy Story' type buzz until the trailer was announced. The drop in attendance for ABL shows that if the characters aren't as compelling, that attendance will reflect.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
quote: this movie did not have 'Toy Story' type buzz until the trailer was announced. [/quote]
The buzz was definitely there from the film's target audience. One only has to watch the buildup from Disney's Playhouse and the last few installments of ABC's Wonderful World of Disney to get the magnitude of the marketing blitz of this film. The awareness was definitely there and nowhere in those ads was it ever mentioned that the EPII teaser will be shown with this film.
~Edwin
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on November 06, 2001 at 04:29 PM]

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
quote: Now it is my turn to be provocative, I'm so tired of seeing guys wasting life on shreds of information about Star War movies. If only half the energy some of you put into this were to be put in spending quality time with your wife and kids - then your/their lives would be so much richer. What no wife and kids? Then get away from the computer and find someone to love and if that works out have some kids.
The rest of this stuff is not even stuff - it is "unstuff." Kernels of information about something that might be stuff. Which is pretty sad as stuff doesn't even matter much when you're sitting in a room alone![/quote]
I don't even know where to start with this one. What's with the attack on the Star Wars fans here? Does this have anything to do with the thread at hand? This is totally uncalled for and unnecessary in this thread.
Star Wars is a hobby/passion of mine, and has been since I was a kid. It's something that I enjoy. There are other things that I enjoy, as well. Star Wars is only one thing. As much as I enjoy my Star Wars stuff, I enjoy spending time with my family more. In fact, my whole Saturday was spent with my family--we went to lunch, we went to the movie, we went shopping, and then we went home and played around for hours.
I wonder if you have the same type of attitude towards people who have other hobbies--guys who are into fantasy football, who spend their Sundays in front of a TV, keeping up with their favorite teams and players. Or maybe people that play golf several times a week. Or is it just the Star Wars fans that bother you?
I say live and let live. Who cares what the other guy is doing, as long as you're happy in your own life. To each their own.
quote: Now getting down from his high horse, Rich[/quote]
High horse indeed. Welcome to the forum.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry to have to go so off-topic here, but that was ridiculous.
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002
[Edited last by Matt Birchall on November 06, 2001 at 04:44 PM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The buzz was definitely there from the film's target audience. One only has to watch the buildup from Disney's Playhouse and the last few installments of ABC's Wonderful World of Disney to get the magnitude of the marketing blitz of this film. The awareness was definitely there and nowhere in those ads was it ever mentioned that the EPII teaser will be shown with this film.
My buzz-meter is my friends and coworkers, who were not as geared up for this film as past Pixar fare.
So far it works well for me. :P

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
John Lasseter and Co. could produce a 2-hour computer animated feature brilliantly depicting the drying of paint, and I would still pay premium prices to see it.
Then again, I believe I saw that movie... it was called Magnolia...
biggrin.gif

But seriously folks, Monsters Inc. succeeded on its own merits. We, the illuminated on-line technocratic people, are aware of every last trailer, release date, budget, running time, etc.. of big release films, but the majority of filmgoers aren't quite as savvy.
Parents, children, and families went to see some more magic from the same group that gave us the Toy Story films and A Bug's Life.
As an aside, why the dissing of ABL? That movie is absolutely fabuluous, with some great ensemble voice work, a thrilling story, and absolutely stunning animation. I can't decide which I love more, that or the orginal TS.
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
- DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit
[Edited last by Matthew_Millheiser on November 06, 2001 at 04:50 PM]

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Now it is my turn to be provocative, I'm so tired of seeing guys wasting life on shreds of information about Star War movies. If only half the energy some of you put into this were to be put in spending quality time with your wife and kids - then your/their lives would be so much richer. What no wife and kids? Then get away from the computer and find someone to love and if that works out have some kids.
You know, you could replace the phrase "Star War [sic] movies" with absolutely anything ("home theater", "DVD collecting", "going to the theater", etc..) and it would still sound as insufferably arrogant and boorish as it did in Rich's original posting.
And here I thought I was leading a rich and fulfilling life. Thanks for showing me the way.
rolleyes.gif

Now I know why I stopped reading USENET...
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
- DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ron:
I just saw this movie with my wife and daughter. I must have been one of the few people that did not know the Star Wars Ep II trailer was going to be shown. It was a nice extra feature but I went solely for the movie itself.
After seeing this movie I can attest that it did so well based on it being such a good movie. We LOVED it! I hope it continues to set all sorts of box office records.
Parker

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll chime in with mu $0.02 -- Monsters succeeded on its own merits, without a doubt. As others said, the vast majority of movie-goers have no clue what trailers come with a movie.
Based on my viewing, a 10:30pm Friday showing, mostly filled auditorium, mixed teens and adults (very few kids), everyone was there to see Monsters, and not the Star Wars trailer.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry Ron, but I'm a little surprised you even asked this question.
Recent history could have told you this opening was coming.
Examples:
Austin Powers 2
Mummy Returns
Hannibal
Lost World/JP3
American Pie 2
Scary Movie 2
The last few years have been all about big openings for follow-up films. Even films that end up getting blasted by the public still get a huge opening based on a previous film's success. It's all about riding the coattails.
This is not to say that MI is a bad film. I think it's a great film, but that won't affect the numbers till NEXT WEEK. Opening weekend was all about Toy Story 1 and 2 and Bugs Life.
Someone already mentioned Meet Joe Black. I know people will go just for the trailer, but not THAT many people, and that film proves it.
At this point I would say that the "attachment" is not MI to Lucas, but rather Lucas to MI and Harry Potter. He knows those are the 2 biggest family films out there (not directly competing with him like LOTR is being viewed as doing somehow).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
In response to a deleted post.....

One of our members just got permanently
suspended for a post that is now deleted.
The post was brought to my attention, and
I'd like to respond to it.
In no way shape or form did I start this thread
to blatantly chastise Monsters Inc. for its
success.
I asked a simple question, and I think the
question was a good one.
I am absolutely shocked that a member has the
nerve to publicly accuse me of starting this
thread as an attack for not liking the movie.
That could not be further from the truth. I was
very interested to know how much the Star Wars
trailer contributed to the success of the film --
especially since ALL OF US know that many walked
out of Meet Joe Black after the Episode I
trailer was over.
It's one thing to question my integrity in a
polite post. I would have responded politely.
It's another to just lash out and make accusations.
It's not WHAT you say -- but HOW you say it.
If you want to act like an imbosile on this forum
and post a public attack, your membership privileges
are going to be revoked forever.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks