What's new

Monsters, Inc. Sets First Day Sales Record (1 Viewer)

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm slightly surprised by this. It's a great movie, but I never thought it would set a first day sales record. I don't recall it being as big of a hit in theaters as "Shrek" or "Toy Story".

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't always correlate. Some home video sales have been bigger in total $ then the theatrical release. Disney/Pixar know how to market and make DVDs that have great appeal.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
:eek:
Monsters, Inc made $255 million domestically. By comparison Shrek made $267, Toy Story made $191, and Toy Story 2 made $246.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I know the studio doesn't bank the full price of the DVD, but 5 Million DVDs at $15-20 retail, makes $75-100 Million in one day. That ain't bad!

Anyone know what percentage goes to the studio?

SteveK

Supporting Actor
For us DVD fanatics, it would be interesting to know what percentage of the 5 million was on DVD. I know at my local Blockbuster where I took advantage of their Monsters Inc offer, DVD reservations were running about 4:1 compared to VHS reservations. It's too bad the article only gave total sales, rather than breaking it down into DVD and VHS.

Oh well, I'm sure someone will have those statistics. An impressive debut, to say the least.

Steve K.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I went to K-mart after work yesterday (Wednesday) to pick up the DVD. They were sold out! There was a big display at the entrance full of video tapes, but not one DVD. The DVD manager had one left under the counter so I actually got one, but the clerk was surprised that they had sold out. I guess everyone that came into the store was asking for it.

I saw it in the theater and liked it, but like it even more after watching it at home last night. It's a very good movie and I'm sure kids love it. I would bet that it ends up being in the top three DVDs this year.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
This DVD seemed a little cheaper (at about $15) than most, especially with the deals that were around (k-mart, blockbuster), maybe that had something to do with it.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well, the retail price was $29.99, which is the same or even higher than most new DVD releases (though it is nicely-priced for a Disney 2-disc), but many stores did have this heavily discounted, and for sale for around $15-$17.
I'm not too surprised by this news. It's a great movie and a great DVD. Plus, the "Disney" and "Pixar" names are names that many people will buy even without seeing.
:D :emoji_thumbsup: Kudos to Pixar for a 4th great movie and another wonderful DVD!

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
According to Hollywood Reporter, 65% were from DVD sales. A local store, Brandsmart, sells the DVD for $14.88!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
That means 1.75 million people bought VHS?! Who ARE these people and why do I never see or come across anyone who still buys new videocassettes? :D
;)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
That means 1.75 million people bought VHS?! Who ARE these people and why do I never see or come across anyone who still buys new videocassettes?
Parents whose kids are going to watch the tape over and over and over and over and over and over...
I love DVD to death but would you want your 3 year old handling a disc?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Parents whose kids are going to watch the tape over and over and over and over and over and over...
If their kids are gonna watch it that often, then it would make more sense to get the DVD instead - since the tape wouldn't survive that many viewings.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My guess is Spiderman in November will break it and then Attack of the Clones around Christmas time will break that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone know what's on the bonus disc offered at Wal-Mart? It was inside the shrink-wrap, but I didn't seem to find any description of the contents (bought mine at Kmart for $4 less).

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I went to Circuit City last night and they only had two copies left. But the real tragedy was Frailty was sold out!
Aaargh!:angry: I didn't have time to complain about a major store selling out only one day after the release because it was nearly closing time and I had to rush off to Best Buy. But worry not! Frailty was still available there.;)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I'm slightly surprised by this. It's a great movie, but I never thought it would set a first day sales record. I don't recall it being as big of a hit in theaters as "Shrek" or "Toy Story".
Second highest-grossing animated film of all time. Took in a worldwide gross of $529 million. A staggering amount. The only animated film to do better is Lion King at $771 million.
Not adjusted for inflation, of course.
Incidentally, the top grossing, non-adjusted animated films of all time are:
1. Lion King -- $771 million
2. Monsters, Inc -- $529 million
3. Aladdin -- $502 million
4. Toy Story 2 -- $486 million
5. Shrek -- $483 million
6. Tarzan -- $456 million
7. Beauty and the Beast -- $378 million
8. Ice Age -- $366 million
9. A Bug's Life -- $363 million
10. Toy Story -- $362 million
11. Dinosaur -- $356 million
12. Pocahontas -- $347 million
13. The Hunchback of Notre Dame -- $326 million
14. 101 Dalmations -- $321 million
15. Mulan -- $304 million
Courtesy of boxofficemojo.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks