What's new

Monsters, Inc. Sets First Day Sales Record (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't planning on getting this, but Wal-Mart had it for $14.something so couldn't pass it up. Of course, now I have to worry if they're gonna re-author the disc since I have a Pioneer player!!
The CD-ROM disc at Walmart is a pinball game, haven't played it yet though. Doesn't seem to be any regular CD sound on it like there was on the Atlantis CD-ROM that came with Emperor's New Groove.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Standard practice is a 35% discount off of the retail price. I'm guessing the big chains were probably buying at 40-45% because of volume and other deals

Still 80 million bucks coming their way

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
My guess is Spiderman in November will break it and then Attack of the Clones around Christmas time will break that.
Spidey, I can see, but AOTC, I don't know. I'm sure it's going to be one of the biggest sellers of the year, but casual fans aren't just buying it because it has the Star Wars name behind it.

Either way, that's just an awesome total for Monsters, Inc.

Bruce

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I think that Spider-Man will for sure break that record. I think that AOTC and LOTR: Extended Edition will not break it. The only movie that has a chance of breaking it, other than Spider-Man, would be E.T.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Keep in mind that the link above is to a press release from Disney, not a news article from an unbiased source. Obviously, Monsters Inc. is doing quite well on DVD; I'm not trying to belittle that. But the press release--Business Wire simply delivers press releases electronically; it's not a news service--is woefully lacking in detail, and that 5 million figure sure is a neat, round number. It'll be better once a source such as Video Business weighs in with its own sales data. Until then, this is all "according to Disney." Just putting things in perspective...

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Which are?
I assume the reference is to the technical glitches thread, although I can think of some other possibilities:

1. Removal of the advertisements/trailers at the beginning of the movie. On a DVD, they should not be there, even if you can skip them. I'll look for them in the menu when/if I want to watch them.

2. Insertion of a copy of "For the Birds" (which Pixar did include on the second disc) in front of the main film. If you're going to run anything at the start of the film, the cartoon that ran before the film in theaters would be it.

3. Removal of the "ad for the soundtrack" frame that comes up at the end of the music video for "You've Got a Friend In Me". I got the feeling that the music video just contained part of the song, though maybe I'm just imagining things.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
3. Removal of the "ad for the soundtrack" frame that comes up at the end of the music video for "You've Got a Friend In Me". I got the feeling that the music video just contained part of the song, though maybe I'm just imagining things.
Actually, it contained none of "You've Got a Friend In Me"...but some of the song "If I Didn't Have You." :p) :D

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Your examples are hardly "needed corrections." They weren't mistakes, whether people like them or not.
Your logic ("anything that's not a 'mistake' cannot be in need of correction") is faulty. Issuance of a film in a Pan-and-Scan-only version might not be a "mistake" (in the sense that the studio INTENDED to make a MAR release), but it would certainly be a situation in need of correction.

I don't expect them to recall a bunch of discs because of inappropriate running of trailers, but that's not the same thing as saying the running of the trailers is correct.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Got mine for $14.95 @ Wal-Mart and it came with some free pinball game, haven't played yet.

This is good news cuz it will insure that Disney doesn't drop the ball anymore.

Remember how they were dragged to DVD kicking and screaming?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I think I know what the dealer told Mike when he sold him the new car:

You've got to feel the engine to believe it!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
1. Removal of the advertisements/trailers at the beginning of the movie. On a DVD, they should not be there, even if you can skip them. I'll look for them in the menu when/if I want to watch them.
In this case, I'd call it an error...a lapse in good judgment...since it forces the layer change to the last few minutes of the movie. Without 'em, you'd at least get through the whole film, up to the credits, before hitting that problematic layer change.
Total agreement that such things belong under their own menu headings.
Jan

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The trailers are on the second layer, even though they play first. They DO need to correct the disc so that the movie plays through without having to hit any buttons though!!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I hate forced trailers with a vengance, I refuse to buy any disc that uses them (the Sixth Sence comes to mind) but I like how Monsters Inc starts. Playing multiple trailers before the feature starts with the option of skipping them with the menu button is fine by me, it creates a cinematic effect that can be easily avoided at the push of a buttion.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Anyone who is surprised isn't watching the market conditions:

How many households had a DVD player last year when Pearl Harbor, TPM, and Shrek were breaking records. How many were there the previous year(in the Sep-Nov range) when Gladiator was the winner. How about the previous year when The Matrix was the best seller. Next falls big seller will likely be a PG/PG-13 rated film that does huge box office this summer with wide family appeal....(Or if no such animal exists, The Matrix Reloaded which will show the studios just how much of a market share the older enthusiast still has)

As DVD players increase, new hit releases with broad appeal(such as those listed) will 99% of the time be the best sellers.

Notice that the 1999 and 2000 champs were R rated features. This is because the primary market place of DVDs were older enthusiasts. Now it's got a much larger share of families.

This year the top 3 will be Monsters Inc, Spidey, and AOTC.

Although the fact that most who purchase AOTC and Spidey will do so on DVD since there are tons who still buy movies for their kids to watch on their VCRs in their rooms.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
My guess is Spiderman in November will break it and then Attack of the Clones around Christmas time will break that.
As much as i like AOTC, i seriously doubt it will beat Spiderman in sales. Also, AOTC is coming out 11/12(a little more than a week after Spidey), not christmas time.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I wonder if the Blockbuster pre-sales were counted into the first day sales totals. According to my local Blockbuster manager (in a moderately busy store) they sold over 400 Monsters, Inc., and the average for the "district" was somewhere around 375. If the nationwide average is 325 and there's approximately 7000 Blockbusters, that's over 2,250,000 copies from Blockbuster stores alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks