What's new

Mold resistent paint? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Is there such a thing?

How does one get mold off the ceiling in a bathroom, any suggestions? I believe it's plain old interior latex paint but mold spots have been growing and a simply sponge and water with a teanny tinny bit of bleach is not doing it. Any good household cleaners I can try?

Jay

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
We're having our bathroom redone, and the salesman recommended that we repaint it beforehand. He said all the big home improvement stores should carry anti-mildew bathroom paints (I haven't had a chance to go out and look yet). He said to use at least one good coat of Kilz first, then one or two coats of the anti-mildew paint. He said it's more expensive, but is worht it in the long run.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Semi-gloss and gloss paints are naturally more resistant than eggshell, satin, or flat just by the nature of the paint. There are also chemical additives (sold in plastic pouches) that you mix into the paint for mold/mildew resistance. Any paint store or hardware superstore will have them in the paint section. I purchased the anti-mildew additives for about $.99 per pouch, with each pouch treating a gallon of paint.

LewB

Screenwriter
I'll second the vote for Kilz ! After a washing machine hose burst, I was left with a mold problem in my utility room. 1 coat of Kilz topped with a coat of paint solved the problem. I may be wrong here but I think Kilz is 'just' tinted shellac Shellac does a great job of sealing in problems like this.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Along with the paint suggestions provided, have you considered updating the exhaust fan for your bathroom? It seems like a lot of the steam might not be getting vented out of your house and it's causing the mold issues. With my place, the fans do a very good job at getting the steam out, so there's not any mold issues with the paint. Just a suggestion.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I am about to paint my bathroom next thanks for the tip on the Kilz. Would it be ok to put the Kilz on the ceiling? I have a smooth ceiling.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Kilz does good on ceilings. When we moved into our house, the kitchen was a mess. The previous owner was a diabetic who had both legs amputated. The stove was a gas stove, and the ceiling was inundated with grease. She never bothered cleaning anything, and the ceiling was by far the worst. We tried regular paint first, but the grease came right through. Although it took 4 layers of Kilz, it did cover the ceilings well enough that we were able to finally use normal paint.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Thanks Scott since I can use it on the ceiling it will probably help hide some of the imperfections. I smoothed the ceiling myself. It was my first time messing with a task like that. I wanted the whole house done but it was a major pain and a mess. It think it turned out great anyway.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
you could also try using exterior paint for your bathroom most of those have greater amounts of mildicide and biocide in them

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Theres an additive that you can get at Home Depot and Lowes that keeps mold and mildew from growing on the paint. It's under a buck to treat a gallon of paint. We had bought the stuff when we just redid our bathroom and then I forgot to put it in the paint!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks everybody! The ventilation is good as it has two doors to it, one going to the master bedroom and another leading to a den. We have another bathroom (same size) with only one door and that doesn't have the mold/mildew problem. It must be the paint. I guess we'll have to add that to the list of projects to do!

Jay

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Theres an additive that you can get at Home Depot and Lowes that keeps mold and mildew from growing on the paint.
Gee, I thought I said that. :p) By the way, Jay, the additive that I used is called "M-1". There are probably numerous other varieties and brands out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks