What's new

Modern B&W movies (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
The other day I saw at Best Buy a DVD 2-pack with Requiem for a Dream and the director's earlier movie, Pi, for $19.99. Having wanted RfaD for a while but not having gotten around to actually getting it, I picked that up for the deal that it was. I didn't know anything about Pi but I figured hmm, two for $20 or one for $15...

Anyway, I watched Pi the other night. Now the interesting thing about this was that it wasn't until about half-way through the movie that it occurred to me it was in black & white! I guess the story pulled me in so much that a detail like color, or the lack thereof, was by comparison not important.

I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar experience. Not necessarily with the same movie, but with any other modern movies that were done in B&W. By "modern", I mean movies since the time when color became the norm, and I'm specifically asking about these because with older movies, B&W is expected, because there was no choice. But with a modern movie, with color available, the director had to make a specific and deliberate choice to use B&W. That's an artistic choice, and whatever the exact reasoning or emotion behind it, it seems to have worked out well for Darren Aronofsky (director). I think it was a successful decision on his part because if it didn't work, it would stick out like a sore thumb, but like I said, I didn't even consciously notice it.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The Black and White cinematography in The Man Who Wasn't There could not have been more beautiful, and it was a perfect compliment to this movie (which was basically a tribute to the Classic Film Noir)!
Raging Bull is also quite noteworthy! :)
EDIT: I should add that, although released in black in white, TMWWT was originally shot on color film (due to contractual obligations, I believe).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, certainly by 1970 color was the norm. My favorite b&w films after that date include:

Young Frankenstein
Zelig
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Schindler's List

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I had the opposite reaction. Under the Cherry Moon was so bad that all I noticed was it being in black & white.

BarryS

Second Unit
Bob Fosse's Lenny. It's pretty old (1974), but even then most movies were made in color.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
doesn't really count, but what about half of Memento? i.e. the in-between bits where Leonard is on the phone in his motel room, as contrasted to the colour scenes which run "backwards".

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Following

although that was shot on B&W due to budget restrictions more than an artistic decision. But so was Clerks.

Which reminds me of another budget movie just released to DVD: Man bites dog

Mike Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, glorious Black & White: Here are a few more -
The Last Picture Show
Rumblefish
Kafka
Judy Berlin

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
edit second time today I was too fast with the cut 'n paste.

Last Picture Show is perfectly realized in B&W. I can’t imagine small-town Texas looking any different.

Love the other suggestions

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
A number of other films come to my mind and which I am sure most of you will know of:
A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1958)
LONLEY ARE THE BRAVE (1962)
THE TRAIN (1964)
DR. STRANGELOVE (1964)
A THOUSAND CLOWNS (1965)
A HARD DAYS NIGHT (1964)
THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN (1960)
THE DEFIANT ONES (1958)
SINK THE BISMARCK (1958?)
THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD (1960?)
I am sure there are some others that I cannot remember right at this moment but at least it is a start. One thing the ones I listed have in common - they are all very well written and acted,(well,except for The Beatles'attempt- it is just simple fun) and outside of The Train, A Night To Remember, Dr. Srangelove,A Hard Days Night and The Defiant Ones,the others are not on dvd, although they really should be at least I have some of them on laserdisc.;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Zentropa by Lars Von Trier is mostly B&W though IIRC he slips color in at moments to enhance moods. It's been about a year since I saw it though. Great, great film.
Many of my other favs have already been mentioned. The idea that color is the only way to make a film that people will enjoy is ridiculous. I think that's a myth that the studios cling to.
B&W often offers much more drama and has been argued (including in the cinematography thread) to be MORE reality enhancing than color.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Ah, Zentropa...that one rearranged some of my little grey cells a few years ago.

Another modern B&W film no one's mentioned yet is Tod Kalin's Swoon, about the Loeb and Leopold murder. (Same source material was also put to B&W use by Hitcjcock in Rope.)

Todd Haynes also used B&W for major sections of Poison.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
B&W often offers much more drama and has been argued (including in the cinematography thread) to be MORE reality enhancing than color.
I agree with this to a large extent. Photography is one of my hobbies. I shoot about 75-80% b&w with the rest in color. I work in both 35mm and Large Format (4X5). It is much more difficult to create a certain mood using color than black and white. More often than not, the color can actually detract from the actual subject matter. My black and white prints are generally more "dramatic" than the color prints. Of course, there are exceptions.

Black and white narrows everything down to the most basic of elements- shapes and light.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Zentropa by Lars Von Trier is mostly B&W though IIRC he slips color in at moments to enhance moods. It's been about a year since I saw it though. Great, great film.
I agree Seth. And I’d say that although Element of Crime is technically in color, Von Trier’s concept and presentation is certainly monochromatic.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
another vote for 'the man who wasn't there'. how bout 'pleasantville'?

also, i may be having a brain-fade, but wasn't 'schindler's list' also b&w? can't remember now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks