MMORPG on RPTV: am i suicidal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Malloy, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Max Malloy

Max Malloy Stunt Coordinator

I'm a hardcore MMORPG (online RPG) fan and i know that when the next one comes out, i will play it on my RPTV for at least an hour or two a day. As you all know, MMORPG's tend to have a lot of static interface elements. Health/mana/stamina bars on top, spell bar in the bottom, inventory on the right, etc. However, I will turn down brightness/contrast and never leave the game idle for more than a few seconds. So the question is: if i am really careful, will i still get burn-in? And if i will, how soon will it happen (+/- 6 months) and how noticable will it be?

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

If played responsibly, you should have no problems with games on your RPTV. "Responsibly" means:
    1. Proper adjustment of Contrast and Brightness using a test DVD such as Video Essentials or Avia. Usually, the final result is a Contrast setting at 20-30% of its maximum value.
    2. No prolonged viewing of material with static images on the screen (power bars, score boards etc.). How to define "prolonged viewing" is hard to say, but I would say somewhere between 2-4 hours per day. I would certainly not play a game for 4 hours per day, every day.
    I have had sessions with fighting games (with many static images) lasting longer than 6 hours - but these are isolated incidents. I don't normally play the games every day.
    As long as you can follow these guidelines, you shouldn't have problems. If you want to be overly cautious, perhaps turn down the Contrast a bit when playing these games.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

3. Max Malloy

Max Malloy Stunt Coordinator

How do i know which brightness/contrast setting is right?

4. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

Max, there's no definate answer for that question. As the other guy stated, get yourself a copy of Avia or VE(video essentials) to properly calibrate the user settings(brightness, contrast, etc.). There is a new version of VE coming out, so you might want to check into that.
    As to which one (Avia or VE), it's really a matter of personal preference. Each has it's own devoted following, but both work equally well. I use VE.