What's new

MMORPG on RPTV: am i suicidal? (1 Viewer)

Max Malloy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a hardcore MMORPG (online RPG) fan and i know that when the next one comes out, i will play it on my RPTV for at least an hour or two a day. As you all know, MMORPG's tend to have a lot of static interface elements. Health/mana/stamina bars on top, spell bar in the bottom, inventory on the right, etc. However, I will turn down brightness/contrast and never leave the game idle for more than a few seconds. So the question is: if i am really careful, will i still get burn-in? And if i will, how soon will it happen (+/- 6 months) and how noticable will it be?

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
If played responsibly, you should have no problems with games on your RPTV. "Responsibly" means:
1. Proper adjustment of Contrast and Brightness using a test DVD such as Video Essentials or Avia. Usually, the final result is a Contrast setting at 20-30% of its maximum value.
2. No prolonged viewing of material with static images on the screen (power bars, score boards etc.). How to define "prolonged viewing" is hard to say, but I would say somewhere between 2-4 hours per day. I would certainly not play a game for 4 hours per day, every day.
I have had sessions with fighting games (with many static images) lasting longer than 6 hours - but these are isolated incidents. I don't normally play the games every day.
As long as you can follow these guidelines, you shouldn't have problems. If you want to be overly cautious, perhaps turn down the Contrast a bit when playing these games.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
Max, there's no definate answer for that question. As the other guy stated, get yourself a copy of Avia or VE(video essentials) to properly calibrate the user settings(brightness, contrast, etc.). There is a new version of VE coming out, so you might want to check into that.
As to which one (Avia or VE), it's really a matter of personal preference. Each has it's own devoted following, but both work equally well. I use VE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks