What's new

MLCS has done it again! (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,

Normally, I would think the same thing. But I have the PC 690 router (fixed speed) and was only plunging 1/4" into the MDF. No matter how slow I tried to turn the router using my circle jig it bogged down and burnt the MDF. I even adjusted the plunge to a more shallow depth with similar results. If it had been the first time I'd used a router I'd think I was doing something wrong.

I think I merely got a dog that slipped through QC. I didn't mean to imply that all of their bits are junk. But re-reading my post I can see where someone would think that. Like I said, the other Viper bits I have used were and still are fine.

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
As promised, here are all the pics of my Emeralds. There's quite a few. Sorry for the small size.
Brian
Here are the rebates cut:
Link Removed
Now the through holes:
Link Removed
Here's the port:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Here's a baffle clamped on:
Link Removed
Here are the cabinets completely glued up:
Link Removed
Here are the crossovers:
Link Removed
Here are several pics of the ½" radius on the cabinets:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Here are several pics of the three grooves routed and a coat of primer:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Here's after a couple of coats of paint:
Link Removed
Here's the red oak for the sides:
Link Removed
And with the pre-stain conditioner:
Link Removed
And after 1 coat of stain:
Link Removed
And after 4 coats of stain:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Here's the completed cabinets:
Link Removed
And with everything installed:
Link Removed
Link Removed

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Excellent craftsmanship Brian. What made you decide to add the oak sides and 3 grooves? I would have left those off personally and used veneer but I like the simple look. I think the oak sides look like elephant ears. However, I do admire the built quality of the cabinets. Great job!
Also, those crossovers look very simple. Is it only 4 components? My AV1 project used a series network and had more components. I guess it's not really true that complex crossovers sound better. As the Emerald and AV1 can surely attest to.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
Thanks for the compliment! Actually, the ACI Sapphire III LE's came out about the time I was working on these. I fell in love with the look and decided to copy this to my Emeralds. There are now Emerald LE's with the exact same styling (I finished mine about 6 months before the Emerald LE came out). Interestingly, mine look identical except that they only use 2 parallel grooves instead of 3!
http://www.audioc.com/speakers/Image..._LE_Cherry.jpg
Brian

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Beautiful workmanship! Really top-notch. Something for me to aspire to :). I really like the stain on the side panels, and the 1/2" roundover looks beautiful. I think I lean more for the "simple lines" look as well, but I really like the individuality that you've put into the project. Fantastic!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Brian! I was going to apologize for highjacking your thread and then I noticed...I started the damn thing!:)
Brian

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian Bunge, I have a suggestion. If you'll use a 1" radius roundover bit on the oak panels before you attach them, the look of their edges will "flow" more gracefully into the sides of the cabinet body. I bet more folks would find that visually pleasing. Just an idea...:)
BUT...very nice workmanship!!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

Wouldn't I have to have a "backer" piece for the red oak so that the bearing would ride along it? I think if I didn't roundover the main cabinet, attached the red oak flush with the sides, then rounded over the cabinet AND the red oak, that might look pretty cool.

Maybe I'll try it with some scrap oak. The MDF is a lot cheaper than the oak!

Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've told you before Brian but those are stunning. I kinda like the way the oak looks when it's inset a bit like you did, instead of flush with the cabinet edge.

On the subject of clamps, I've had a credit and a few gift cards from Sears sitting in my wallet, so I blew it all a few days ago on four Bessey K-body clamps. Maybe the manager wanted to unload them, but he beat the lowest internet price I've seen, so I was able to grab 4 of the 24" models (actually just under 26" max) for $33 each. Suffice it to say, after playing with these things, I don't know how I ever used another clamp. The construction is beyond reproach, and the jaws stay perfectly square, all but guaranteeing a perfect glue-up. I probably wouldn't have sprung for them had it been cash out-of-pocket, but I now wouldn't hesitate to buy a few longer ones if needed.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I've told you before Brian but those are stunning. I kinda like the way the oak looks when it's inset a bit like you did, instead of flush with the cabinet edge.
Thanks Jack! There are a few slight errors in the grooves. After all, it's the first time I used an edge guide on my router. You've seen the matching subs but what until I get the red oak mounted to the sides of them too!

Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, those are the clamps, Brian. I'll have to use that page for a price-match if I want the 40" though, very cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks