What's new

Mixing Windows 2000 and XP PRO on same network? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Hi everybody,

Are there any quirks, oddities, or other unexpected issues involved when mixing Windows 2000 and Windows XP PRO on the same (ethernet) network? Many thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
There really shouldn't be. Make sure you have identical user accounts (at least one) on each computer. If you have trouble with it, cut off all firewalls (including the XP firewall) until you can get them talking to each other. Are you using a router or connecting directly? If connecting directly, make sure you use a cross-over ethernet cable instead of a standard one.

Also, make sure the computers are networked on the same subnet and that they have similar IP addresses (i.e. 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I havent had problems with a network of WinXPPro and Win2000...

Patrick_L

Second Unit

same here. use my 2k machine for a lan server and also as media storage. have 2 desktops that are XP Pro and a laptop that is also XP Pro and no problems.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
You shouldn't have any problems. I have a home network that mixes XP Pro and Win 2000 and they work fine together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks