Mix and Match within Same Brand

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by TerryT, Mar 9, 2004.

1. TerryT

TerryT Auditioning

I'm just getting started putting together my first HT system and will be buying my book shelf speakers and receiver first. I want to spend around $1500 for my speakers. My room is 13' by 21'. I watch 50% tv, 35% DVD, and 15% music.

I've tested a few speakers (B&W, Def Tech, Mirage Omnipolar) and so far like the sound of the B&W 600 series speakers best (DM601/LCR60/ASW600). Should I stay with the same speaker for the front and rear (DM601)or can I move down a step for the rear (DM600) and still get good sound? The salesman's recommendation was to stay with the same speakers front and rear. They didn't have the DM600 speakers on the floor so I couldn't hear for myself.

Are there any other speakers in my price range I should look at? I've heard good things about the Totem Dreamcatcher but they're not available locally.

2. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

In a perfect world, all of you speakers would be the same, but many many people use smaller speakers in the rear. If you are staying with the same manufacturer, you are for the most part getting the same design philosophies, so you should be ok.
    Greg

3. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

As long as they are in the same speaker line or use similar drivers it should be fine. I know that the wharfedale diamond and evo pacific line shares a lot of the same technologies so they are very closely matched tonally. The Evo's of course have better cabinets, more power handling and cleaner sound. But tonally, they are very close.

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Unless you're going the listen to the surround music formats(SACD or DVD-A) different speakers in the back should be fine. Ideally yes the same speaker all the way around.