What's new

Mitsubishi VS-60703 RPTV & 480i support? (1 Viewer)

Mike Mann

Grip
I have a Mitsubishi RPTV I got in 1999, it's a great tv and has suited me well, but I was curious about supporting 480i on the compnent inputs? It's a Mitsubishi VS-60703. I couldn't find anything in the manual, I do know it's not HDTV-capable. Anyone have a TV from this series, like 50603 or 50703 or 60603? They should all be similiar.

The reason I'm asking is, I'm wondering if I can go to the Xbox and support this resolution.

Thanks!

-Mike

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Mike:

Since your TV is not HD ready, it will not support XBox's Progressive (HD) Output. But it should support XBox's analog output of 480i just fine. Enjoy.

Rich B.

Mike Mann

Grip
The more I'm thinking about this. I just don't get this resolution stuff. I understand the fundamentals, but I'm confused on what NTSC set is capable of v.s. an HDTV set or an HDTV-ready set is. Can anyone help here as well? Any good FAQ's out there?

Mike Mann

Grip
Okay, so I've done some more reading. I guess I'm curious then are all NTSC sets basically capable of 480i? and then I'm assuming anything above and beyond that, like 480p, 720p and 1080i is consider "HDTV"?

Then to ask a more specific Xbox question, does it support 480i output out of the box? or are you required to buy one of the adapters (s-video or component) adapters to get this kind of support?

Lastly, this is just a kinda of a stretch, but any chance my RPTV could support 480p? or if it did, would that have thrown it into the "HDTV-capable" marketing category?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think I'm getting it.

Thanks!

-Mike

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Okay, so I've done some more reading. I guess I'm curious then are all NTSC sets basically capable of 480i?

Yes.

and then I'm assuming anything above and beyond that, like 480p, 720p and 1080i is consider "HDTV"?

Or HD Ready.

Then to ask a more specific Xbox question, does it support 480i output out of the box? or are you required to buy one of the adapters (s-video or component) adapters to get this kind of support?

480i comes in 3 flavors: RCA (Composite), SVideo, Component. I'm not sure what comes "packaged" w/ a basic XBox game unit, but I'm guessing that it's only an RCA cable. If you want SVideo or Component, I think you need to buy a "pak".

Lastly, this is just a kinda of a stretch, but any chance my RPTV could support 480p? or if it did, would that have thrown it into the "HDTV-capable" marketing category?

I'm not positive about your particular model tv, but if it could handle 480P, I'm almost sure it would have been labeled HD Ready/Capable.

Sorry for all the questions, but I think I'm getting it.

No problem. I hope you got Halo that's all they talk about in the Gaming Forum Sections.

Enjoy.

Rich B.

Mike Mann

Grip
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the clarification. That actually helps a ton. Now I got it. I haven't actually got the xbox yet, just was curious if I did get it, could I see some of the better resolutions that it's capable of on my TV. Doesn't sound like it. Oh well. :)

Thanks again though...Really helped me understand it.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks