What's new

Mitsubishi TV, Yamaha Receiver (1st time) (1 Viewer)

ryan504

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Duvall
I have a Mitsubishi DLP 73" TV (not sure what the model # is). I just recently purchased a Yamaha YHT 497 Home Theater System, which comes with the Yamaha RX-V373 Receiver. I still need to purchase the speaker cable, subwoofer cable, ect. which i am familiar with what I need; however, I have one question. My tv does not support audio return channel, so I'm assuming that the HDMI out connection from the receiver to the tv only supports video, not audio. The audio out connection on my tv is a digital coax (orange) connection, but the connection on the receiver for the tv audio connection (av4) is only available in optical connection. My question is: Can I use a digital coax cable from my tv's audio out to the receiver's (av2 or av3) digital coax (orange) connections, and assign that for the tv, or do I need a digital coax to optical adapter, such as this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-S-PDIF-Coax-to-Optical-Toslink-Audio-Converter-Fast-Free-Shipping-/390520061027?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5aeccf3c63? If that is not right, can someone please tell me exactly what I need to make this connection for the tv audio to pass through the surround sound system? Thank you. I don't think it's relevant, but I will only use one HDMI out connection to connect my laptop.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a sense you may be connecting this all wrong.

What are your sources?

What do you need from the TV for audio?

Side note. Pay absolutely no attention to what is labelled as what. The AVR couldn't care less if you connect a CD, DVD, computer, TV or anything else to any input.

ryan504

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Duvall
The only thing I will be connecting is hdmi in from the receiver to the tv, and hdmi out, from the receiver to my laptop, but I assumed I would need an extra audio connection from the tv to receiver in order to experience non-cable (antenna) tv through the surround sound, since my tv doesn't support audio return channel, or is that incorrect?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Can I use a digital coax cable from my tv's audio out to the receiver's (av2 or av3) digital coax (orange) connections, and assign that for the tv
Yes, this will work. You would then just select 'Input' AV-2.

To also use Yamaha's Scene selector, after selecting AV-2 (and optionally selecting any audio option), press Scene (TV) until is "sets". From that point on you can just push the Scene (TV) button to watch TV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ryan504 said:
The only thing I will be connecting is hdmi in from the receiver to the tv, and hdmi out, from the receiver to my laptop, but I assumed I would need an extra audio connection from the tv to receiver in order to experience non-cable (antenna) tv through the surround sound, since my tv doesn't support audio return channel, or is that incorrect?
Yes you need the dig coax to run from the TV* to the AVR. If you have a composite cable laying around(the old yellow one) you can use that...as digital coax, composite video and shielded subwoofer are all the same cable.

So yes, in your search for a subwoofer cable as well, look for a long enough composite video for that as well, to save yourself a few bucks.

Otherwise, follow Jim's advise.

*was mainly making sure you weren't connecting "everything" to the TV and expecting 5.1 from incoming HDMI back out the digital coax...as that does not work(on 99% of TVs. There are the mythical Sony's out there that supposedly pass 5.1 in this fashion).

ryan504

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Duvall
Thanks everyone; that helps a lot! Im gonna buy the cables from ebay next week. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks