What's new

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You could tweet the question to Christopher McQuarrie if you want. He's currently engaging with fans who are complaining to him (!) about the Movie Pass app locking them out of the movie, so I would imagine he might welcome a question that's actually about the movie instead of that crap.

Edit: Now he's off for vacation, which he very much deserves, but who knows? He might take more questions when he gets back.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You could tweet the question to Christopher McQuarrie if you want. He's currently engaging with fans who are complaining to him (!) about the Movie Pass app locking them out of the movie, so I would imagine he might welcome a question that's actually about the movie instead of that crap.

Edit: Now he's off for vacation, which he very much deserves, but who knows? He might take more questions when he gets back.
I’m not on “The Twitter.” :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’m not on “The Twitter.” :)

Fair enough.

I actually wanted to ask him about the rationale for the first issue in my spoiler tag from post #90, but didn't want to tweet it because I didn't want to spoil for people reading his feed who hadn't seen the movie yet. So I tweeted telling him I had a spoiler question if he wouldn't mind answring it. If he responds and lets me, then I could ask him via direct message -- which is a long shot, and I won't be mad if h doesn't. But I've gotten lucky a few times before, so who knows?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think yes. The impression I got is that the Apostiles had infiltrated the CIA and were acting in their own interests at that point.

My impression was that the CIA crew charged with bringing them in were infiltrated by guys loyal to Lark. Of course, it kind of creates a plot hole if that is the case.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I throughly enjoyed this. Like pretty much all blockbusters these days, it’s a little too long (Why must everything be two-and-a-half hours now?), but McQuarrie shoots everything cleanly, uses no shaky cam, and the set pieces are all a blast. Say what you will about Cruise, there’s no doubt that he commits himself totally to what he does, and there’s some Jackie Chan daredevil stuff going on here. It doesn’t measure up to the almost musical cutting and gorgeous camera work of Bird or DePalma’s slick, hyper-precise beauty, but it definitely beats Abrams’ gloried TV pilot. Sadly, as I’m a big fan of John Woo, I must admit that like far too much of his American work, the second film is the franchise is a low point. I do kind of hope that they keep with the ethos of the series and pick a new director for the inevitable next film, but if they don’t, I can’t blame them; McQuarrie’s done a terrific job twice. Good on Cruise for taking the leap of faith on him, there wasn’t anything in his smaller scale previous films that indicated that he’d be able to handle something like this. Oh, and this is one of the last big franchises that still shoots on 35mm, so credit to all involved for that. Go down swinging, Kodak. Go down swinging.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Loved it!

One nitpick. Not a real fan of Henry Cavill. Yes, he's very handsome and all that. BUT a bit wooden in his delivery...Normally a film with the baddie not great it goes south but there were a plethora of baddies.

Tim, I've seen the film but I'm sure others haven't. Shouldn't the comment I quoted above (and put in spoiler tags) have been in spoiler tags in your post? You do reveal a plot direction.

Mark

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Tim, I've seen the film but I'm sure others haven't. Shouldn't the comment I quoted above (and put in spoiler tags) have been in spoiler tags in your post? You do reveal a plot direction.

Mark

Yes, good idea. I can't seem to find a way to edit the post though. There's no edit icon ..

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes, good idea. I can't seem to find a way to edit the post though. There's no edit icon ..

That's because edit capability is only active for a short time after you post. However, a moderator might be able to edit it for you.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
If you do IMAX, you get two major sequences that open up from 2.40:1 to 1.90:1, and you get the “First Man” trailer which opens up to 1.44:1 at the end.

Dolby Cinema is 2.40:1 from start to finish.

Trying to decide on format as well for this weekend... I saw Last Jedi in Dolby Cinema and was quite impressed with the image and sound. So I am leaning towards seeing MI6 in that as well, but I always prefer to see films in the intended presentation.

Does anyone know if the 1.90:1 sequences were shot specifically with the intent to open them up for IMAX presentations, or is this just a case where the studio created a DCP specifically for IMAX by arbitrarily opening up a couple of sequences that were actually composed for 2.39:1?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Trying to decide on format as well for this weekend... I saw Last Jedi in Dolby Cinema and was quite impressed with the image and sound. So I am leaning towards seeing MI6 in that as well, but I always prefer to see films in the intended presentation.

Does anyone know if the 1.90:1 sequences were shot specifically with the intent to open them up for IMAX presentations, or is this just a case where the studio created a DCP specifically for IMAX by arbitrarily opening up a couple of sequences that were actually composed for 2.39:1?

They didn’t shoot on IMAX cameras but they used Panavision DXL cameras shooting at 8K for those sequences and they were always intended to be shown in 1.9:1 as well.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I saw the film yesterday at the AMC 42nd Street and loved it. What a great comeback for Tom Cruise! The action sequences are indeed beyond spectacular, but there is also welcome moments of levity.

No spoilers here, but 10 minutes into Henry Cavill's appearance, I turned to my buddy and whispered "Henry Cavill's acting makes Tom Cruise seem like Daniel Day Lewis."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw the film yesterday at the AMC 42nd Street and loved it. What a great comeback for Tom Cruise! The action sequences are indeed beyond spectacular, but there is also welcome moments of levity.

Comeback? It's only been 3 years since the last "M:I" movie! :laugh:

I saw this today IMAX - thanks, A-List - and liked it but didn't love it. Really enjoyed "Rogue Nation" but this one complicated its plot so much that it became a meandering mess at times.

That's especially problematic because the basic story is so simple: get the plutonium. However, McQuarrie sends the narrative down various unnecessary rabbit holes that just end up creating confusion.

Maybe I'll like it more when I see it at home. Right now I think it's good due to the action but the messy plot knocks it down a notch...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And the Jack Reacher sequel. Those have been his two major films since the last M:I and both underperformed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Cruise is reliable if he is in this role. His recent non-Mission Impossible films have struggled. It will be interesting to see how Top Gun does next year.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I would argue that the Mission: Impossible films aren't completely Tom Cruise solo vehicles though. While he is heavily featured and billed as the top star, they also feature characters and recognizable actors from past adventures in more of an ensemble type of way. Heck, Ving Rhames has made appearances in all six. Cruise was expected to carry The Mummy and Jack Reacher on his own, and I just don't think he's that kind of star anymore. My guess is that if Top Gun is featured as a solo Cruise vehicle it won't do as well as the Mission: Impossible films either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks