Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

Mark Booth

Effects Supervisor
Premium
And funny, I laughed more than a couple of times. I loved the bathroom fight in which the
two male leads were getting their asses kicked by Lark.
That whole bathroom scene was outstanding! Such a wonderfully entertaining film!

I might see it in the theater again because the wait for the 4K Blu-ray will seem too long. :)

Mark

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Even with all the great word of mouth & reviews, I wasn't expecting this movie to be as good as it was. For me, alot of action movies are entertaining yet ultimately forgettable but this one though was just a great action movie.

I'm not big on complaining about CG in movies (like any tool, it can be misused but there's nothing inherently wrong with it) but to see stunts & sequences that were largely real and largely performed by the actual actors was just exhilarating.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Trying to decide between IMAX or Dolby Cinema.

I think I’ll pick size over comfort. :)

Reactions: Osato

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Trying to decide between IMAX or Dolby Cinema.

I think I’ll pick size over comfort. :)
If you do IMAX, you get two major sequences that open up from 2.40:1 to 1.90:1, and you get the “First Man” trailer which opens up to 1.44:1 at the end.

Dolby Cinema is 2.40:1 from start to finish.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I loved the movie, but had a couple really minor nitpicks.

1) What was the point of making the White Widow the daughter of Max from the first film? When they name-dropped her, I thought, "She must've told her daughter about Ethan Hunt at some point," so I figured that that connection would blow his cover. But they never pulled at this thread at all, even though it was available to them. So what was the value of the name drop? She could've been anyone's daughter and it wouldn't have mattered to the execution of the plot as it was handled in the film. It just felt odd to name check this part of the franchise history if they weren't actually going to make it matter.

2) This is kind of an opposite issue to my previous nitpick, but: I understand that Jeremy Renner wasn't available for this film because he was busy filming Avengers 4. However, considering that they went out of their way to make this a sequel to Rogue Nation and had everyone else major from that film come back, it felt a little odd not to have him name-checked at all. They could have had Huntley or someone throw in a small reference to him being on assignment somewhere else or something. Just since he really became a valued part of the team in Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation and he's the only one missing here, but no one acknowledges his absence at all. So I thought that was odd.

Other than those two teeny tiny things, I absolutely loved the move from beginning to end. This really is the rare series that just gets better with age. Christopher McQuarrie really knows how to use Cruise, and the team and play to their strengths both individually and as a group. I'm so glad he came back for this, and I love that they actually made this a sequel to Rogue Nation rather than a completely new standalone thing. That was a new angle for the franchise and I really appreciated it.

The action was insane and great and terrific. But I really liked that it was grounded in character and that the arcs for these people really mattered, which hasn't always been the case for this franchise. I jumped into the franchise with the release of the third film, and somehow or other hadn't gone back to see the first two until earlier this week. Seeing those compared to these is like night and day. Most of the team members in those films are interchangeable and forgettable, and especially in the case of the ridiculous second film, I found myself forgetting the movie as I was watching it. This one makes the characters matter, so that even if the situation they're put in is extreme and heightened, you have a baseline to care about what they're doing, which elevates the whole enterprise.

More, please and thank you, Paramount!

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
It certainly had some spectacular stunts. I thought the "trucks/cars suddenly pulling out and blocking pursuers" schtick got a little overused. A few too many serendipitous occurrences to me but, overall, still a pretty good action film. This film has probably come the closest to being like the original TV series. Still, my ranking for these films would be 4,5,6,3,2,1.

Edit: Also, I saw the 3D version of this and thought that the film was one of the better 3D versions of recent flms that I have seen.

Last edited:

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I suspected this would happen! For the first time that I can remember, due to a scheduling issue I was forced to see a 3D movie flat! I enjoyed the IMAX showing but spent the entire movie wondering what I was missing.

I have all the Marvel 3D blues, and many other series, but although I have seen them all, have never collected the Mission Impossible flicks. Now to see it in 3D I am considering buying this last one. I am a “complete” freak, so I will have to buy the series.

I have a couple of questions the Internet is not answering. Was MI5 shown in the theatre in 3D (I can’t remember!) and available in 3D blu? Will there be a 3D blu of MI6? Is there a good box set of the 1-4 to buy.

Tim Glover

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Loved it!

One nitpick. Not a real fan of Henry Cavill. Yes, he's very handsome and all that. BUT a bit wooden in his delivery...
Normally a film with the baddie not great it goes south but there were a plethora of baddies.

Too much good to list. But I'll name a few. :)

Rebeca Ferguson... Elsa. LOVED her in Rogue Nation. Gosh she's super sexy and a bad ass. Her eyes are captivating. Wow. :P

Really the MI cast is superb. Truly is.

Tom Cruise. I really think he's the best overall actor of our time. He can pull of comedy/drama/action & even self parody. Just has a way of making nearly everything he does look believable and draws us in.

These MI films are what Bond should have been. They have a way of humanizing the outlandish.

The music is great...the Dolby Atmos is off the charts good.

Can't wait to own on 4K-UHD.

9.5/10

My rank of these MI films.

So hard LOL.

To me they are ALL fantastic. The first one and MI-3 are favorites for some personal reasons...Only MI-2 would I place down the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...These MI films are what Bond should have been. They have a way of humanizing the outlandish.
Exactly. I've always been a big Bond fan, but these movies are far superior to anything we've seen in Bond since at least the 70s. Danny Boyle, please take note.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, got a question that I’ll put in spoilers:
In the last third of the movie, the underground scene where Alex Baldwin shows up and you think that they did a real sting on the bad guy. How many factions end up fighting in that scene? I get the IMF, and CIA were there. We’re the Apostles there too?

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think yes. The impression I got is that the Apostiles had infiltrated the CIA and were acting in their own interests at that point.

Last edited:

Tim Glover

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good question Johnny!

Truthfully I don't know! There was so much going on in that moment. My take is..

="the CIA came in last but that was it. No Apostles. Hmm"]

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think yes. The impression I got is that the Apostiles had infiltrated the CIA and were acting in their own interests at that point.
Good question Johnny!

Truthfully I don't know! There was so much going on in that moment. My take is..

="the CIA came in last but that was it. No Apostles. Hmm"]
OK, I feel better. Those two answers are 180 degrees apart. At least I wasn’t the only one unsure.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruksartbneha