What's new

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
He could decide that later, but I don't think he has decided that now. As I said above, I think that if he were already viewing these two films as the end of his time as Ethan Hunt, they would have announced that today. But we'll see what he feels like when they're done making these two.

Also, it's interesting that when he completes these two films, Christopher McQuarrie will have directed as many Mission: Impossible films as there were before he came to the series. If he can make these two as good as Rogue Nation and Fallout, his sticking with it is great news.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I agree. And yet the previous Mission films have had some long gaps before and it always keeps coming back. The previous films were in 1996, 2000, 2006, 2011, 2015, 2018. It seems to have gotten more regular after the fourth one, which is a good thing.

We've talked before in other threads about how people like to know what they're going to get with a movie. In Mission: Impossible, you know what you're going to get at this point -- which doesn't mean that the movies can't surprise audiences, but it's a known property that has been (mostly) consistent in the quality department, and people expect to see Cruise doing insane stunts to save the world, and they get that.

As far his starpower is concerned, Cruise's other projects, like Edge of Tomorrow and American Made, have been less pre-established. People know who Tom Cruise is, but the concept of those movies were new and not as easily communicated in a TV spot as "Tom Cruise is playing Ethan Hunt again!" I think that might have something to do with the disparity in grosses between those films and his various Mission entries.

The wildcard here is Top Gun 2, which is very much a known property, but it's been so long since the last installment that they'll have to reintroduce it to audiences, including a younger generation that wasn't alive when the original came out. (I'm part of that age group, although I know what Top Gun is because I saw it on DVD and am looking forward to seeing what they do with the sequel, but there are a lot of younger people who might not.) I'm very curious to see how that one is going to do.

I loved Knight and Day.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
He'll be older shooting the last one than Roger Moore was in View to a Kill.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The only thing I don't like about this news is that I was hoping Cruise would get around to the long-gestating Edge of Tomorrow 2, which obviously won't be happening anytime soon if he's got two more of these lined up after Top Gun.

If, hypothetically, Edge of Tomorrow 2 is next on his to-do list after wrapping these two, the absolute earliest that could be seen would be 2023, which would be a nine-year gap since the first film. That's a long time for a property to be gone in this current Hollywood environment.

Mission: Impossible is great too, and I'm fully on board with these. But they've been talking about doing another Edge of Tomorrow for so long, and I loved that film so much, that I'd really like to see it happen too.

Oh well.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
He'll be older shooting the last one than Roger Moore was in View to a Kill.

Another one that I like! : )

I’m still a bit stunned about 2 films. However it makes sense. I’m guessing a continuation of part 1 and 2? Mission impossible: infinity war?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It makes sense why Paramount would want two films, for sure. Creatively, I'm guessing there is an idea that is larger than usual and which McQuarrie and Cruise believe can sustain two films. I don't know what that is, but I would suspect there will be more connectivity between these two than there has been in the past. And of course,
Solomon Lane isn't dead yet
, so there's that thread to pick back up from Fallout.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
He could decide that later, but I don't think he has decided that now. As I said above, I think that if he were already viewing these two films as the end of his time as Ethan Hunt, they would have announced that today. But we'll see what he feels like when they're done making these two.

Even if he's already decided that these two films will be it for him as Ethan Hunt, why would anyone announce it?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Even if he's already decided that these two films will be it for him as Ethan Hunt, why would anyone announce it?
For the sake of promoting them as the grand finale of the Mission: Impossible series.

I don't know if Cruise is planning this as the definitive end of him doing M:I movies but I imagine that he's at least considering it. If that's at least a possibility, I hope they come up with as many insane stunts as they can possibly (and somewhat safely) perform and leave it all on the field/screen.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Announcing it for promotional reasons could also backfire, if it causes people to think that it's the end because Cruise is too old to do the work anymore.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that I'd much rather see Tom Cruise play Ethan Hunt than Brad Bird.

exitright.gif

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Cruise is aware that his star power today comes from being in MI movies. A general audience just isn’t willing to pay to see Cruise on the big screen in just about anything else; every single one of his non-MI projects has underperformed or outright flopped for probably over a decade now.

You're right about that. The only non-"MI" Cruise movie to hit $100m US since 2005 is 2014's "Edge of Tomorrow", and that barely got to $100m.

With a WW gross of $370m and a budget of $178m, it seems unlikely to have made money.

2005's "War of the Worlds" is his only major non-"MI" hit since...maybe "Jerry Maguire"?

Cruise pretty consistently starred in fairly successful films over the prior years, but none I'd call "major hits" like "JM".

Anyway, it's clearly true that the "MI" flicks are his box office bread and butter now. He's attempted other franchises but they've not done particularly well...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Christopher McQuarrie and Pom Klementieff have confirmed on social media that she is is joining the cast of the next Mission: Impossible films.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Christopher McQuarrie and Pom Klementieff have confirmed on social media that she is is joining the cast of the next Mission: Impossible films.

I can’t wait for the next 2 films!!

I’m a huge 007 fan but have enjoyed the mission impossible films much more than the recent Craig 007 films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d just like one single film in the M:I series that wasn’t built on the premise of “Tom Cruise has to go rogue because his own agency suddenly thinks he’s the bad guy and won’t even give him the benefit of the doubt, even though he’s been set up half a dozen times and always proves his innocence and saves the world.”

Couldn’t we just get one of these movies where going rogue isn’t a plot point? Much like “this time it’s personal” has been part of every Bond story for too long, this trope has been way overused in the M:I films.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’d just like one single film in the M:I series that wasn’t built on the premise of “Tom Cruise has to go rogue because his own agency suddenly thinks he’s the bad guy and won’t even give him the benefit of the doubt, even though he’s been set up half a dozen times and always proves his innocence and saves the world.”

Couldn’t we just get one of these movies where going rogue isn’t a plot point? Much like “this time it’s personal” has been part of every Bond story for too long, this trope has been way overused in the M:I films.

the rogue angle is a reflection of our society distrust of all forms of authority. Therefore it makes it more appealing to filmgoers as well?
An agent can’t simply carry out a mission for their employer anymore.

Bond and mission impossible have both overused this angle in recent years but I have concluded they feel they have to use this story point to make it more dramatic.

I’d rather seen both characters just doing their jobs without the rogue angle.

I guess I’ll just expect it every time now and be pleased / surprised if it’s not included!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks