What's new

Minimum space between wall and speakers?? (1 Viewer)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I have to use a big wood cabinet for the TV (wife matter). So my Paradigms Studio-40 will be 6 inches in front of the cabinet (then 3 feets from the back wall). Is 6 inches enough for those air intake on the back of the speakers? I don't seem to hear any difference from when the wood cabinet is not behind. Will it affect the sound in any way??

Thanx.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
6" is not enough, IMO. I would recommend a minimum of 12". The "air intake", or rather tuned port, could cause some muddiness or boominess in the lower midrange by being that close.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
As long as the speaker is in front of the cabinet, it should be alright, especially if you can't hear a difference. Just don't put the speakers in the cabinet. That is very bad.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
So I got 2 different opinion here. I know everything is always grey, never black or white...

Is there a "recommend" distance or standard somewhere, or is it only trial and error?

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I agree with John, but that doesn't mean your setup is wrong.

A recommended distance is probably about 12"-18". But that is not always possibe. John is right that you may get a boomyness from the port. But if you don't hear a difference, and it sounds good to you, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A wall is a little different from a cabinet, with respect to room modes, so the effect is likely not the same. That means (and we are going to go a little in circles now because I agree with Brian's statement) that if you don't hear a serious problem, go with that setup.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Levesque,
If you do find the Paradigms are still too boomy, experiment with different port bung materials (starting off with something like a sock, and then using some foam cylinders) to change the bass tuning- it will result in less extension and output, but this will probably be negated by the boundary effects of the cabinet.
Since you've already said you can't hear a difference, leave it there. :)
Cheers,
Mike

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
8" spacing measured fine to me though I space my speakers about 15" from the front wall to make room for some acoustic panels.

I think 6" would sound ok because it is a cabinet that's behind the speakers so it may affect the sound differently than if it were a wall.

I think the best solution would be to ABA test it and listen closely to the amount of bass, or perhaps use an SPL meter and test tones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks