minimum room size for 7.1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ted Lee, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i've read that in smaller rooms, you don't really need 7.1 - which makes sense to me. that being said...i have a 7.1 receiver, i've pre-wired my house for 7.1, and (for the love of ht) i want to try 7.1 - goshdarnit!

of course, i don't want it at the sacrifice of sound quality, etc. my understanding is that, if the room is too small, the side and rear speakers can "blend" together, muffling the rear sound-stage.

i don't recall the size of my living room, but it's decent sized. i think approximately 10hx12lx10w. also, my speakers may (or may not..haven't decided) be in-ceiling.

so, any random thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

thx!

2. John S

John S Producer

I dunno, I have yet to find a room, that with carefull calibration doesn't see some improvment with 7.1 over 5.1. As you indicated, I suppose results can vary though.

3. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I've got 6.1 in my 8hx12wx16l room, I like it a lot better than the 5.1. Your room should handle 7.1 fine.

4. Lyle_E

Lyle_E Stunt Coordinator

I am running 6.1 in a 16L x 10.5W x 8h room I have seen a definate improvment.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx guys...i think i'm gonna go for it. i'll just have to be careful about my calibrating, etc.

6. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

I've got a 7.1 in my 12.5 X 12.5 by 8 foot high home theater room. The soundstage is awesome.
    I agree; Go for It.

Good Luck, Al. Wise