What's new

Minidisc Digital PCLink can't work with Brand Name computers? (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello everyone.

I'm going out to by a minidisc player/recorder next friday. I'm getting the MZ-R900DPC. It connects to my computer via a USB connection.

Now, after reading Sony's site, this wont work on any Name Brand PC's (Dell, Compaq, HP, etc) because each of these suppliers don't include full versions of the Windows OS. They are all missing some USB Audio Drivers or something like that.

Now, I would think that Sony would supply these drivers from a web download, but they don't. They leave it up to you to find them.

So, what can I do? It basically seems as though I'm going to bring this MD home, and not be able to use one of the main features of that specific model (digital PC recording).

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I have no idea about this... but it seems to me that it is just something that Sony is saying to 'convince' people to buy Sony computers. Most computers come with the Windows CD so i don't see how you could not have the "full" windows. If it doesn't work though, you might just have to look for it on your own. It probably will be on the Windows CD, but i don't really know.

I have a Dell PC and the MDR-500pc, with a analog pc-link cable and it works fine. When I first connected it to my computer it installs the usb audio driver and switched the prefered device to the usb audio device under the audio tab in the sounds and multimedia control folder...

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Thanks Allan for letting me know that you were successful in getting it working.

The reason that it has me concerned is because I've read about lost of people on other forums who are not able to use it because of improper USB audio drivers.

I guess I'll find out for myself on Friday though.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I did a quick search on a couple minidisc bulletin boards and saw no mention of anyone having trouble with that particular model. Sounds like it should work fine.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks