What's new

Mike Nelson's DVD Rifftraxs (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I did a search, but there was only one mention of this in the SE of Road House DVD.

I thought I'd get the offcial thread started and see what everyone thinks of these.

MIke J. Nelson from MST3K, now offers DVD commentaries, MST3K style.
Right now it's just him, he's mentioned it might have guest commentators.

The two DVD Rifftraxs that are out right now are

Road House
The Fifth Element

just visit www. rifftrax.com to download the commentaries for $1.99 each

I just finished the Road House one- which is extremely funny.
And I'm about to do the Fifth Element one now.

Anyone else listening to these??

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Unfortunately, as funny as Mike Nelson was on the show and in real life, the commentaries on the DVDs aren't really as great as his days on MST3k (to be fair, he doesn't have a staff of eight veteran writers writing for him anymore), but they are enjoyable, if you're into that sort of a track.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Aside from NOTLD I have enjoyed all of his commentary tracks.....I don't know about paying around $5.00* to download a pod-track from him though....we'll see.

Since he and the fellows from MST3K do other projects together I would love to hear a group track from them on a film.

*(the $1.99 price is for beta...if the thing takes off the prices will raise I'm sure)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I would love if he can get Tom Servo and Crow for an Island commentary.
plus riff on how much a rip off it was from The Clonus Horror

I listened to the Fifth Element RiffTrax commentary, and it's funny. but they need to stop with this comuter voice thing that interupts from time to time.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't think the Road House sample was very funny (the movie is already hilarious for the wrong reasons), but maybe this is the start of something new.

I'd love to finally see Criterion do this with their old commentaries.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
All this makes me wonder what Joel Hodgson is doing these days? His wit and humor were dryer than Nelson's and for that reason seemed funnier. Is her doing any writing or commentaries?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. The triva track on the new Road House DVD is much funnier than Nelson's commentary sample.

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
The Road House rifftrax definitely has it's funny moments and I enjoyed it for the $1.99. The Fifth Element one though blew it away. Me and my wife laughed out loud quite a few times and it was WELL worth the $1.99 in my opinion.

Beyond Nelson doing this I think this is an excellent idea and I hope to see others pick it up.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I just bought The Fifth Element track and it is a hoot, I laughed out loud quite a few times.:emoji_thumbsup:
I could do without "Disembody-O" however.

Pretty good, any fan of MST3K or Mike Nelson's brand of humor should get this track....those who do not like his brand of humor...well...don't.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

The last I saw of him, he was writing for the Jimmy Kimmel show. From what I understand, he's been spending a good portion of his time raising a family, too.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Funny, all this makes me want is for Universal to re-release MST3K: The Movie already. I heard there was a rumor for a 10th anniversary DVD, but it looks just like that: a rumor.

I'm seriously considering picking up a region-free player and importing the German DVD because it has an English audio track.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Yeah I got the 5th Element Rifftrax and had a great time listening to it last friday, used Sharecrow to sync them up.

I certainly look forward to what other ones come along.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
There is a new Rifftrax.

Star Trek V with Kevin Murphy AKA Tom Servo, this one will cost you $2.99 since Kevin is on it. I bought it and plan on watching it Sunday night!!

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I can't get enough of the Rifftraxs. I have enjoyed every single one to date, and I look forward to many more. They are fun and for 2.99 its a steal. Mike is doing Crossroads (2002) next and that one is going to be the most painful to watch and I love it!!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Rifftrax has a new website and forum.
plus Mike Nelson is releasing Rifftrax at an incredible rate.

Mike's newest Rifftrax will be for the DVD of Troll 2

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Leave it to those MySTie dudes to make us all buy these bad movies ourselves! Sneeeaky.

Of course, some of us already have them in our collection. I mean, some of YOU....some of YOU have them....not me. NOoooo.....

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Humorist and filmmaker Richard Kyanka will be joining Mike Nelson on the Rifftrax for Troll 2. He's the webmaster of Something Awful. Fellow "goons" like myself know him as Lowtax on SA's forums. He wrote around 20% of the jokes and chose this for riffing, so this will be a lot of fun. It also helps that Troll 2 is such a ridiculous movie that's funny enough on its own. Unintentionally, of course.

"Nilbog is goblin spelled backwards!!!"

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Troll 2 is out now btw.

I had a heck of time finding this one. I signed up to an online DVD netflix-a-like and they didn't send it (someone else was already watching it, eek!), I ordered it from a store, which then didn't seem to actually have it in stock, then I on out the phone and called every rental store in town, the second to last store on the list actually had a copy. This was a basically the night before I absolutely had to have it. Haha, the things we do.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the full thing yet, but from the bits I have listened to I think Lowtax did a pretty decent job.

At least the next one was simply a matter of messaging someone on ICQ
"You got BLAH right?"
"Yep"
"In PAL right?"
"Yep, I'll bring it around tomorrow"

Much easier!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I bought that Troll/Troll 2 set as soon as it came out. What a sad sad individual I am. :D

Love the reworking of the cover. I haven't bought a single one of these riff things yet. But I plan to buy a 3 at once as soon as I'm done spending all my money at DVD sales.

EDIT: Aw man! Check out the Mike Troll on the wed site! That is choice! I'm sooo close to changing my AV! Although, on the front page of the site it says "Click on Kirk and Spock". Where are they? Hiding behind the Trolls?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks