What's new

Midnite Movies - Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

With the new round of MGM's Midnite Movies that were just released I was wondering if the HTF members had some recommendations on some titles - old or new releases.

Greg

AlanBrom

Second Unit
My favorites:

COUNTESS DRACULA/THE VAMPIRE LOVERS
THE OBLONG BOX/SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN
CRY OF THE BANSHEE/MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE
ABOMINABLE DR.PHIBES
DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN
COUNT YORGA VAMPIRE
TOMB OF LIGEIA/AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLAN POE

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
THE HAUNTED PALACE is terrific(its co-feature, TOWER OF LONDON, is less so). COUNTESS DRACULA and THE VAMPIRE LOVERS are also great, especially if you like blood and bosoms. I haven't watched THE RAVEN/COMEDY OF TERRORS DVD yet so I don't know how the quality is, but I do know that both movies are great fun, especially if you like Vincent Price, Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre. The real gem of the latest batch of MGM Midnite Movies is the 1933 Karloff classic THE GHOUL. It has one of the finest black and white transfers I've ever seen, and the film is a must for fans of classic horror cinema.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
PIT AND THE PENDULUM and FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER are delightful - superb widescreen plus Roger Corman commentaries. These movies were (to some degree still are) intensly creepy in their day.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
If you love classic horror and B pictures, you can't go wrong with these. I love this series so much, and I own every title, all but the Tobe Hopper remake of INVADERS FROM MARS. I have a shelf just dedicated to the Midnite Movies series on DVD. Please keep them coming MGM, and thanks for the great work.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
The Raven is a great film. It has a really neat magic battle between Vincent Price and Boris Karloff. The special effects were actually decent for the time.

Hi all,

Thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't thought about The Ghoul but I think I'll give it a try.

Thoroughly enjoyed Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers. I also recently purchased The Fall of the House of Usher and am looking forward to seeing it.

Although they might not be the best movies in the world, MGM has done a really good job with these titles...and at a great price too! Keep them coming.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks