Midnite Movies - Recommendations

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg Patenaude, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Greg Patenaude

Hi all,

With the new round of MGM's Midnite Movies that were just released I was wondering if the HTF members had some recommendations on some titles - old or new releases.
    Thanks[​IMG]

Greg

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I had a blast last night screening the Dennis Hopper-scripted The Trip.

3. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

My favorites:

COUNTESS DRACULA/THE VAMPIRE LOVERS
    THE OBLONG BOX/SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN
    CRY OF THE BANSHEE/MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE
    ABOMINABLE DR.PHIBES
    DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN
    COUNT YORGA VAMPIRE
    TOMB OF LIGEIA/AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLAN POE

4. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

THE HAUNTED PALACE is terrific(its co-feature, TOWER OF LONDON, is less so). COUNTESS DRACULA and THE VAMPIRE LOVERS are also great, especially if you like blood and bosoms. I haven't watched THE RAVEN/COMEDY OF TERRORS DVD yet so I don't know how the quality is, but I do know that both movies are great fun, especially if you like Vincent Price, Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre. The real gem of the latest batch of MGM Midnite Movies is the 1933 Karloff classic THE GHOUL. It has one of the finest black and white transfers I've ever seen, and the film is a must for fans of classic horror cinema.

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    PIT AND THE PENDULUM and FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER are delightful - superb widescreen plus Roger Corman commentaries. These movies were (to some degree still are) intensly creepy in their day.

6. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

If you love classic horror and B pictures, you can't go wrong with these. I love this series so much, and I own every title, all but the Tobe Hopper remake of INVADERS FROM MARS. I have a shelf just dedicated to the Midnite Movies series on DVD. Please keep them coming MGM, and thanks for the great work.

7. EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski Stunt Coordinator

The Raven is a great film. It has a really neat magic battle between Vincent Price and Boris Karloff. The special effects were actually decent for the time.

8. Greg Patenaude

Hi all,

Thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't thought about The Ghoul but I think I'll give it a try.

Thoroughly enjoyed Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers. I also recently purchased The Fall of the House of Usher and am looking forward to seeing it.

Although they might not be the best movies in the world, MGM has done a really good job with these titles...and at a great price too! Keep them coming.

Greg