What's new

mid to high-range player recommended upgrade..? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

I'm upgrading my player set up which right now consists solely of a multi-region/multi-coded JVC XV-SA602SL which I intend to use strictly for a handfull of import titles (mainly R3 Korean discs and a couple of UK PAL-based animated tv series) and I want to purchase a semi-high end unit for the remainder of my dvd library. I'm considering anywhere in the budget of about $500-1300 give or take depending on the significance of performance/features.

While I'm still in the early processes of my HT construction, when all is finnished, this is the setup I plan to equip...

- Stewart Filmscreen Luxus Deluxe, 16x9 Firehawk Screen

- Sharp XV-Z10000U DLP Front Projector

- Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus SCM1 Speakers

- Bowers & Wilkins ASW 850

- Lexicon MC-12 Processor

I want to find a quality higher-end player that will complement all of my above investments and provide the best possible audio/video performance, but at the same time, I'd prefer to not blow my entire budget on a single unit when I still have many additions to consider with regard to my theatre setup.

In other words, I would like to know exactly what's available in a mid to high price range along with the pros and cons of the hardware so that I can determine what would be worth my time and money.

My main concern is on quality hi-def progressive scan performance and paramount audio playback. I'd prefer built-in DTS and Dolby decoding with all the component outputs, etc.

I honestly don't know where to look?

I've read positive reviews on the Pioneer DV-668AV-S and Denon DVD-3800 but would like to ask all of your advice as I value it much more than any others..

What players would you all suggest I look into and what would be best suited for me based on my above descriptions?

Is there one company I should specifically lean towards in terms of quality and value (Pioneer, Panasonic, Denon, etc.)?

Please post suggestions, your help is really appreciated!!!

AndrewVital

Agent
I'm actually in the same boat, looking for a new HT Grade DVD player. Currently I'm on my first DVD player (a 5 year old sony).

I've got a Pioneer Elite 55-TXi Receiver which has i-link(IEEE1394) inputs, so I want to get a player that supports that.
I'm also thinking i should get a DVD recorder and i've seen some that even have Tivo built in.

One that fits this bill is the Pioneer DVR-520-S with everything but the Audio i-Link.

It's gotten pretty good reivews, though it's MSRP is 799.99
I've found it as cheap as 449.00 on this site:
http://www.datavis.com/store/product.jsp?prid=13896

I found that site by going to froogle.google.com and doing a search for it.

Pioneer used to make a DVDR/Tivo in their pioneer Elite line but they discontinued it ( I thnk because of technology changing they could make something better cheaper).

A good really high end DVD player thats got all the great features you want, and very nice quality specs. is the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai I found it for 550.88 (it's MSRP is 1,200.

Ya this DVD player is more then the DVR listed above, but this player is much much higher quality then the one embedded in that DVR. I think i'm gonna make a small concession on quality to have the Tivo and DVD recorder as a part of my home theater. I've been using a 6 year old DVD player and my HT has made that look great.
I've got a NEC HT1000 DLP projector with a good quality screen to project on to.

Let me know if you find anything in your research.

- Andrew
http://store.yahoo.com/tvbuys/59l.html

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot guys!

I'm not too concerned with additional recording features and the like Andrew, my main concern here is strictly on a/v performance to amplify the other equipoment I plan to setup. While Tivo and DVDR would be a nice complement, those are features that I doubt would get much use from me...

Have you ever seen the Pioneer DV-668AV-S?

I've been doing some research and this guy really peaked my interest.

Check it out:

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...onomy_id=62-84

"The high-end DVD player, DV-668AV, has been selected 'European DVD Player of the Year 2004-2005' by EISA."

What do you guys think, and would purchasing a European player pose issues for me in any ways, even in NTSC mode?

I'm not looking into universal players specifically, but this one just seems like a great value and has all the necessary features I'm looking for (HDMI, Pure Cinema Progressive Scan, built-in audio decoders, etc) plus extra trimmings such as VCD & SACD playback, PAL pro. scan mode, amazing digital audio functions and manual features plus the little extra conveniences which are important like auto-resume functions, etc.

It seems to be in the same ballpark as the Panasonic & Pioneer players you guys mention, but with extra advantages.

Again, my only concern is that I'm not familiar with the quality of European players when put through American setup?

I was also considering the Denon 3910 but I've been told to be weary of the Faroudja chip.

What are your thoughts?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't clicked the link, here's a look at the DV-668AV-S and specs:

DVD-Audio/Video/SACD Player

-----------------------------------------------------------

The aluminium looks of the DV-668AV-S say it all: This universal DVD-Audio/Video/SACD player is loaded with high-tech features. To start, there ’s exceptionally real audio with DVD-Audio, SACD, and SACD Multi-channel playback. An RW compatible unit, it plays DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW*, CD-R, CD-RW, CD, VideoCD, Super VCD and MP3 files. The future-ready High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) means that your digital video is delivered direct and uncompressed — for the highest possible picture quality. Using DVD-Audio Bass Management, Gain and Delay Adjustment, the speaker system can be fine-tuned to the listening environment for a precise audio performance while built-in DTS and Dolby Digital decoders and Virtual Dolby Digital guarantee that the home cinema surround sound swirls around your living room.

EISA Award: High-end DVD player, DV-668AV, selected 'European DVD Player of the Year 2004-2005'

* In 'Video Mode (DVD-Video Mode)' and 'VR Mode (DVD Video Recording Mode)' with CPRM compatibility.

Key features:

- High-end DVD-A / DVD-Video / SACD player

- High-Definition Multimedia interface (HDMI)

- 216 kHz / 12-bit Video D/A Converter

- Dual Pure Cinema Progressive Scan for PAL / NTSC

- Speaker Management and DVD-Audio Bass Management

Technical Features:

- Playback Discs

- DVD/SVCD/VCD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-AUDIO/SACD/SACD MULTI

- Disc Capacity: 1

- DVD-RW recorded in Video Recording Mode

- DVD-R/DVD-RW recorded in Video Mode

- MP3

- Dual System (PAL/NTSC) (Video Output)

Construction:

- New Triple Layered Chassis

Audio Feature:

- DVD-Audio Compatibility

- 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter(6 Channel)

- Built-in Dolby Digital Decoder (5.1 Channel)

- Built-in DTS Decoder

- Built-in MPEG Decoder

- Built-in SACD Decoder

- Local regulator for Analogue Audio

- Dynamic Range Control

- Bass Management

- Delay Adjustment

- Pure Audio - ON/OFF

Video Features:

- PureCinema Progressive Scan: PAL/NTSC

- Component Frame DNR PRO

- Super Fine Focus Digital Filter

- User Video Memory Modes

- Video Adjust

- Video Signal D/A Converter: 216 MHz/12-bit

Conveniences:

- Advanced GUI (Graphical User Interface)

- Resume Function (Stop Key)

- Repeat Mode (All, Title/Chapter, A-B)

- Programme Play

- Still Play

- Still/Step Play (Forward/Reverse, DVD Video only)

- Slow Play (Forward/Reverse, DVD Video only)

- Random Play

- 10-Key Direct Search and Play (Chapter/Track)

- Title Search

- Track/Time Search

- Page Search (DVD Audio)

- Remote Control Unit (Jog & Joystick, Illuminated)

- On-Screen Display (On/Off)

- FL Dimmer/Off

- Auto Power-Off

Terminals:

- Euro-SCART: 1 (In/Out), 1 (Out)

- RGB-Y/C Video Output (On Euro-Scart)

- HDMI Video Output (1)

- Component (1 - Y, Pb, Pr)

- S-Video Output (2)

- Video Output (2)

- 5.1-Channel Audio Output (1)

- Audio Output (1)

- Coaxial Digital Output (1)

- Optical Digital Output (1)

Control Terminals:

- Pioneer System Remote (In/Out)

Video Characteristics:

- Horizontal Resolution (Lines) (DVD) 540

Digital Audio Characteristics:

- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0,0001%

- Frequency Response: 48 kHz (4 - 22.000 Hz)

- Frequency Response: 96 kHz (4 - 44.000 Hz)

- Frequency Response: 192 kHz (4 - 88.000 Hz)

- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 118 dB

- Dynamic Range: 108 dB

Miscellaneous:

- Power Requirements: 220 - 240 V, 50/60 Hz

- Power Consumption: 18 Watt

- Dimensions (W x H x D): 420 x 100 x 278 mm

- Weight: 5,4 kg

It retails around £450 which would equal approx. $550-600 U.S.

What do you guys think, is it worth an investment?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
I think there's a software fix available for the faroudja chroma delay bug on the Denon 3910 if thats what's stopping you. On the other hand the Pio's a pretty good player ;)

By the way, the 668 euro model's North American equivalent is the DV59-AVi

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Feisal, why is the DV59-AVi much more expensive than it's European counterpart? Would there be any reason for me to consider the North American model over the European given the price difference and the fact that it has duel NTSC/PAL pro scan anyways?

What would you guys consider a better all around unit, the Denon 3910 or the Pioneer DV59-AVi?

Edit: nevermind, it looks like I found all of my answers here - http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/6474.html

Btw, does the 59AVi come in silver as well?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I've pretty much made up my mind... does anyone know where I might find the DV59-AVi in silver though, I'm only finding the black finnish?

Thanks for all the help guys!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
it's more expensive because it's labeled "Elite" ? ;)

no idea if its available in silver though

AndrewVital

Agent
ya if you buy anything in the Elite line it comes with a better warranty. I don't think you can get it in anything but black.

Its funny, I'm looking at the DVR-520-HS but I want it in silver to match my Elite VSX-55-TXi Receiver.

If pioneer had an elite DVR i'd be all over that. Everything in my cabinet is black except for my HD Cable box from Cox. (their digital boxes are black of course their HD's gotta be silver) lol

Does anyone know if I cna get a DVR/ dvd recorder with i-link audio outputs that'll work with my VSX-55-TXI? Or do I have to buy pioneer to make it work.

Thanks,
Andrew

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
haha

So is it reccomended I go for the DV59-AVi or the 668 Euro counterpart?

Why wouldn't Pioneer offer the unit in silver damnit, it clashes with my whole HT setup!!!

:laugh:

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I don't even think the Denon 5900 was made in silver. Maybe you should look to one of the new Denon machines...the 5910 should be out...ummm...soon?

With the value of the equipment you're listed above you owe it yourself to spend a fair chunk on a good source.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Marco, what kind of support/warranty etc will you get if you buy the euro model?

Im sure this isnt a new thought, if its same as the local version i don't see why not - if however you have to ship the unit to UK if something goes wrong the difference in price will seem very little after awhile

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Bringing this thread back up because I have one question regarding the PAL progressive scan feature...

Is this just a multi-region mod to accept any coded disc or will this actually allow for playback in the video's native frame rate?

For instance, would PAL speed-up still be an issue with this player on a front projection unit since it's apparently PAL compatible w/ prog. scan and I wouldn'f be running through NTSC TV singals?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
The Pioneer 59avi Elite is incredible and is easily had under a grand. I gurantee you much happines with that unit as I consider it the player to beat in at least the

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks