What's new

Mid Level 7.1 Reciever Advice (1 Viewer)

WayTooSmall

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
I am new to the forums here and have a few questions about what receiver to get. I purchased a PS3 80GB to use as a blue ray player, and plan to buy a Toshiba XA2 for HD-DVD’s. I am looking to get a receiver to use as a hub to connect to my 65” Mitsubishi RPTV (has a DVI input in the back but not HDMI, I purchased and HDMI to DVI cable for connection)

I am want to get a receiver for around $1500.00 that has support for the latest audio formats (True-HD, DTS-HD Master), and will offer nice upgradeability for the future.
As of now I am looking at 2 models:

Onkyo TX-SR875
Denon AVR-3808CI

The main difference I am seeing now is that the Onkyo is THX certified. Is this a feature I should really be worried about having? I have read the forums and done searches and have found people saying the Onkyo has weak output in terms of volume. Can that be boosted by adding an amplifier later if I wanted? I thought the more expensive receivers have larger amps built in for each speaker channel which raises their price quite a bit. Basically any advice on which one to get, or another model with HDMI 1.3 and support for the latest audio formats would be great. Thank you for the help.

WayTooSmall

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
....and I forgot, for completeness sake, me and my girl watch our movies using the Pioneer SE-DIR2000C Dolby Digital Surround Headphones which you can view the specs of over at audiocubes.com

It "Supports Dolby DTS, Dolby Pro-logic II, Dolby digital EX, DTS-ES". Does this mean that I can't use these to listen to these new formats, or does it just mean that the stream has to be decoded before it is sent out to the headphone base? Thank you again for any help offerred.

TK2K

Auditioning
Real Name
Austin
it means that the sound has to be decoded before it hits the headphones, or transcoded into something that the headphones can read, but in your case it would have to be decoded by the receiver first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.