What's new

michael gambon to be the new dumbledore (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
According to today's [London] Sunday Times (which is usually reliable on JK Rowling-related things) the new Dumbledore will be Michael Gambon. He is a v. good actor who has been in lots of things, but is perhaps best known for the lead role in Dennis Potter's 'the Singing Detective' (he also did the finest stage performance of King Lear I've ever seen, but that isn't really relevant to this).

MikeRS

Screenwriter
The director of "Y Tu Mama Tambien"........

Albert from "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, And Her Lover"....

Interesting children's stew, Warners is creating. ;)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I'd have thought Alfonso Cuaron was suitable because of the splendid children's film "A Little Princess". Pick it up chaps, highly recommended.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Michael Gambon has done *lots* of work of different kinds. I guess he's better known in the UK than the USA.

Regarding the new director, if I can make an analogy - who'd have thought that the director of Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles could have directed Lord of The Rings?

MikeRS

Screenwriter

I've seen it. Most definitely a great children's fable. :emoji_thumbsup:

But I'm leaning on Warners also being impressed with his direction of a certain teenage coming of age story. ;) Raunchy or not, the Potter kids are growing up, and would benefit from the guide behind Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Michael Gambon has done *lots* of work of different kinds. I guess he's better known in the UK than the USA.
Well, he's done a shitload of TV miniseries that have been on US television. That's all I really know about him. But with the right beard and makeup job, he'd definitely look the part.

I just hope he's energetic. Harris, God rest his soul, did a great performance; however he didn't convey the energy of the book Dumbledore.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Still think McKellan would have been better, as I think he more closely resembles Harris, especially under a full beard.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I just hope he's energetic.
Check out the nasty energy he brought to Sir William (the murder victim) in Gosford Park. Or just ask anyone who's ever seen him on stage. Ralph Richardson didn't call him "The Great Gambon" for nothing.

The problem is that he'll have to establish some degree of continuity with Harris' portrayal in the previous two films.

M.

Shaun

Second Unit
No way, the only person perfect for the role of Dumbledore is, in my opinion, Max Von Sydow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks