What's new

MGM/UA Vault titles 4/19 (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've pre-ordered "Ambush Bay" at DVD Empire, it is a minor favorite of mine. The $$ is right!

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
The classic version of The Four Feathers would be very welcome. I can't figure out why they didn't release it to coincide with the lousy remake from a few years ago, though.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A precursor to Terrence Malick's THE THIN RED LINE, Cornel Wilde's BEACH RED is a crudely poetic and very interesting film that's not all that easy to see if you don't have Turner Classic, which plays it from time to time. I'll be picking it up.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I'm so happy to see MGM/UA release more obscure films! Maybe, they will get around to releasing Samuel Fuller's Park Row, a film that has been on my wish list for years, and I have had little hope of seeing released.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'll definitely be picking up BEACH RED, THE PURPLE PLAIN, THE FOUR FEATHERS, and another MGM April release recently announced: Louis Malle's VIVA MARIA!

--that is, if proper OAR is preserved (fingers crossed).

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the links John. I'm glad to see that "Ambush Bay" will get a WS treatment. I was so disappointed in what Universal did to "The Forbin Project".

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Here are all the ones that have fullscreen transfers. I haven't heard of most of these, so could someone tell me which were widescreen in theaters?

C.H.O.M.P.S. (1979)
Mac and Me (1988)
Namu: My Best Friend (1966)
The Golden Seal (1983)
Beachhead (1954)
The Four Feathers (1939) (Most certainly OAR, since widescreen wasn't popular until 1950)
The Purple Plain (1955)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

All of them should be widescreen, with the exception of The Four Feathers of course and, possibly, Beachhead & The Purple Plain. 1953-54-55 was the transition time from Academy ratio, so those two films might be correct.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Cornell Wilde's, Beach Red is one of the most underrated War films ever made. As Bob Cashill puts it above, "crudely poetic" - that's a fair assessment. But it is powerful film. The men on both sides are shown to be human and the flashbacks are intercut very well. The great camera operator, Cecil R. Cooney (The Canterbury Tale, I Know Where I'm Going!) was the DP - his only credit as DP.

I'd love Paramount to release Wilde's, The Naked Prey. It might be seen as a politically-incorrect film today, but it's a true gem.

MGM own his 1970 apocalyptic oddity, No Blade of Grass, which is a very hard to see these days. They also own his fine Noir, Storm Fear starring Dan Duryea. It has some amazing cinematography by the legendary Joseph LaShelle. And his last film as director, Sharks' Treasure is also MGM. It stars CW and Yaphett Kotto, which is a fun adventure yarn, with beautiful underwater photography; again very hard to see today.

Sorry for going off topic a bit, but Cornell Wilde made some interesting films as a director and most people only know him as a Golden Age actor! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks