What's new

MGM to release "Return of the Living Dead" DVD in 2002 (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
(jumping up and down like a little school girl) OH GOD PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!!!
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
dvddrive-in has been dead-on in the past, so I would count on these titles being released. The Raven, can't wait!
Jim
patriot.gif

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I just hope they have a lot of features including...
OAR (so far I think it was shot standard, but if it was meant to be widescreen, let it be)
5.1 surround mix
Commentary
Deleted Scenes (many appear on TV versions, and there is a workprint with a different ending, I would like to see those)
Cast/Crew Interviews
Making Of
At LEAST some of those. :)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I refuse to get excited until MGM officially announces this. I've been looking forward to "RotLD" being on DVD for a while now.
BTW, I had never heard of dvddrive-in before today so I'm not sure how well I can trust them. I've e-mailed them for a response on this. I've also recently asked the editor of DVDfile about this and 1) He loves the movie too 2) He's heard zero about this.
Still, if MGM puts this out with high quality video/audio, I'll have their baby...and I'm a guy so obviously that'd be very difficult to do but screw it, I'd try!
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
I like the movie too, but I'm far from excited. I mean, yay..another Midnite movie entry from MGM, which means No extra features at all and you're lucky if it's in the correct aspect ratio. And if it is, you're doubly luckly if it's anamorphically enhanced. Then we'll get a great back-of-case text that says some "witty" thing like "Hey, check out this goofy frightfest from stupid people! It's all funny cuz it'z dumb!"
Sorry..I jsut really don't like the Midnite series. The movies are cool and all, but they're being pissed away by MGM, they really are, and the treatment oozes with this "hey everyone, watch the stupid movies!" thing.
If it has anything other than a trailer, I'll be really surprised. I can't think of one Midnite-serires film that's anything substantial on it.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I don't care if RotLD does come out as a bare-bones "Midnight Movie". It'd just be nice to have the movie on dvd with a nice transfer...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
DanL, what are you talking about? 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space' is from 'Midnight Movies' and it has an anamorphic transfer AND a good bit of extras too, so their is hope that MGM will do right by 'ROTLD'.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Todd_B

Second Unit
I'm not going to get too excited until I see/read an official statement from Leo himself.
(O please, let this be true)
Todd B

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
If it has anything other than a trailer, I'll be really surprised. I can't think of one Midnite-series film that's anything substantial on it.
I agree 100% having the actual film itself is indeed rather unsubstantial
rolleyes.gif

I would also like to know what Midnight Movie titles are in the wrong aspect ratio? I own over 20 of them and they are all in widescreen with exception of a few older films that where filmed 1:37 anyhow. Also every one of them looks very good. Even the non-anamorphic transfers are all very solid. MGM may still be dropping the ball on some of their classics and foreign language films, but in the last 5 or 6 months they have been excellent in their handling of sci-fi and horror. Unlike Anchor Bay, MGM has not been fucking up left and right and butchering the original soundmixes without even bothering to include the unaltered version. Unlike some other studios, MGM are not sitting on their cult sci-fi and horror and letting them collect dust.
MGM are most likely going to give us Return of the Living Dead in anamorphic widescreen and we will be able to pick it up at most retailers for $9.99. Who cares if it has any extras or not at that price? Think of it this way, That's more disc space dedicated to the transfer.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Supposedly It! The Terror From Beyond Space is at the wrong aspect ratio (according to Digitally Obsessed and Classics On DVD), but I didn't get that impression when I watched it. Admittedly, I didn't watch the closing credits, which Classics On DVD cites as proof or whatever. DoC doesn't seem to think Village of the Giants is in its original aspect ratio either.
But anyway, chalk me up as another big Midnite Movies fan.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site
[Edited last by Adam Tyner on October 10, 2001 at 10:44 AM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of Midnite Movies with extras; you just haven't been paying attention. Killer Klowns probably has the most, with commentary + a boatload of other stuff, but we also have several of the Corman Price Poe pictures, such as Pit and the Pendulum and House of Usher with full length commentaries with Corman himself. Ditto for X the Man with X-Ray Eyes. All for less than 10 bucks. Honestly, some people let their irrational hatred for MGM get in the way of reality.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Alan_Plummer

Auditioning
Return of the Living Dead will be presented in it's original aspect ratio of 1.85 w/ 16x9 enhancement.
------------------

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Mark,
I agree. MGM has come a long way and people still give them hell. I don't get it.
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
ROTLD is a HUGE favorite of mine, so I really hope that they supplement the hell out of this DVD! Hopefully they will put any cut footage back in as well. They had better do this classic justice!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks