MGM to release "Return of the Living Dead" DVD in 2002

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
  2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

FWIW, Videocrypt and Gorezone both cite DVD Drive-In as their source of information, and I haven't stumbled upon any corroboration elsewhere.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    (jumping up and down like a little school girl) OH GOD PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!!!
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

4. Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins Stunt Coordinator

dvddrive-in has been dead-on in the past, so I would count on these titles being released. The Raven, can't wait!
    Jim
    [​IMG]

5. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I just hope they have a lot of features including...
    OAR (so far I think it was shot standard, but if it was meant to be widescreen, let it be)
    5.1 surround mix
    Commentary
    Deleted Scenes (many appear on TV versions, and there is a workprint with a different ending, I would like to see those)
    Cast/Crew Interviews
    Making Of
    At LEAST some of those. [​IMG]

6. Michael Allred

Michael
    I refuse to get excited until MGM officially announces this. I've been looking forward to "RotLD" being on DVD for a while now.
    BTW, I had never heard of dvddrive-in before today so I'm not sure how well I can trust them. I've e-mailed them for a response on this. I've also recently asked the editor of DVDfile about this and 1) He loves the movie too 2) He's heard zero about this.
    Still, if MGM puts this out with high quality video/audio, I'll have their baby...and I'm a guy so obviously that'd be very difficult to do but screw it, I'd try!
    ------------------
    My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

7. Michael Allred

Michael
    Robert, I'm not sure on this one but aren't most of MGM's "Midnite Movies" DVD's barebones? Maybe a trailer on them but that's about it?
    I totally agree with you, those kinds of extras would be awesome but I'd settle for an audio commentary and a making of doc.
    ------------------

8. DanL

DanL Stunt Coordinator

I like the movie too, but I'm far from excited. I mean, yay..another Midnite movie entry from MGM, which means No extra features at all and you're lucky if it's in the correct aspect ratio. And if it is, you're doubly luckly if it's anamorphically enhanced. Then we'll get a great back-of-case text that says some "witty" thing like "Hey, check out this goofy frightfest from stupid people! It's all funny cuz it'z dumb!"
    Sorry..I jsut really don't like the Midnite series. The movies are cool and all, but they're being pissed away by MGM, they really are, and the treatment oozes with this "hey everyone, watch the stupid movies!" thing.
    If it has anything other than a trailer, I'll be really surprised. I can't think of one Midnite-serires film that's anything substantial on it.

9. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I don't care if RotLD does come out as a bare-bones "Midnight Movie". It'd just be nice to have the movie on dvd with a nice transfer...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    DanL, what are you talking about? 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space' is from 'Midnight Movies' and it has an anamorphic transfer AND a good bit of extras too, so their is hope that MGM will do right by 'ROTLD'.
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

11. Michael Allred

Michael
  12. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

I'm not going to get too excited until I see/read an official statement from Leo himself.
    (O please, let this be true)
    Todd B

13. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

14. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Supposedly It! The Terror From Beyond Space is at the wrong aspect ratio (according to Digitally Obsessed and Classics On DVD), but I didn't get that impression when I watched it. Admittedly, I didn't watch the closing credits, which Classics On DVD cites as proof or whatever. DoC doesn't seem to think Village of the Giants is in its original aspect ratio either.
    But anyway, chalk me up as another big Midnite Movies fan.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site
    [Edited last by Adam Tyner on October 10, 2001 at 10:44 AM]

15. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

There are plenty of Midnite Movies with extras; you just haven't been paying attention. Killer Klowns probably has the most, with commentary + a boatload of other stuff, but we also have several of the Corman Price Poe pictures, such as Pit and the Pendulum and House of Usher with full length commentaries with Corman himself. Ditto for X the Man with X-Ray Eyes. All for less than 10 bucks. Honestly, some people let their irrational hatred for MGM get in the way of reality.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

16. Michael Allred

Michael
    A lot of folks seem to think "RotLD" was shot 4:3 and therefore should not be released in widescreen. I wish somebody from the film's production could confirm the OAR of the movie.
    Oh, DVDDrive-in e-mailed me back to say it's true that MGM is releasing it next year.
    ------------------

17. Alan_Plummer

Alan_Plummer Auditioning

Return of the Living Dead will be presented in it's original aspect ratio of 1.85 w/ 16x9 enhancement.
    ------------------

18. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

Mark,
    I agree. MGM has come a long way and people still give them hell. I don't get it.
    ------------------
    Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
    [​IMG]

19. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

ROTLD is a HUGE favorite of mine, so I really hope that they supplement the hell out of this DVD! Hopefully they will put any cut footage back in as well. They had better do this classic justice!

20. Michael Allred

Michael