What's new

MGM for sale?? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
, since ABC is going to be broadcasting the BOND films very soon.
No offense, but are you nuts with that statement? ABC has been broadcasting the Bond films since forever. Noone in the history of network TV has probably ever broadcast a 007 film, IIRC. That has nothing to do with whether or not Disney is buying MGM.

Sorry for being cranky; I'll get off the soapbox now.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
David,

Whoa, there pardner...

Bond had been off ABC for a number of years now, having taken up residence on "Superstation" TBS.

MGM being bought wouldn't be a world-shaking piece of news, IMHO.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And NBC just broadcast "Goldeneye" a few weeks ago. And that is a official Bond film unlike "Never Say Never" which has been seen on indie stations.

Nelson

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
OK people, time to stop complaining about the slow release of MGM's film catalog and put your money where your mouth is.*
Now you can control what titles are released when!
Rob
* Assuming you've got MGM's $7 billion asking price that is. :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
OK... my bid is... $3... take it or leave it.
Oh, and when I am the head of MGM, I promise a 12 disc 'UHF' Ultra Super Special Limited Ultimate Planitum Infinifilm Extracuricular Super-cala-fragel-istic-expial-adoucious edition :D

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
That would be terrible indeed--the only thing worse would be if Time Warner bought MGM...then we'd never see any of these movies that MGM is furiously releasing on DVD. Disney wouldn't bother to locate uncut prints and we'd get a release that isn't at all what it could be (and you can forget about the Eurocult right now).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Apologies to all. Yep I went a bit overboard. And I've never seen GoldenEye on NBC, but perhaps I missed it.

I forgot about TBS, though.

Again, sorry. Been a long coupla days for me. No excuse, though.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Figured I'd toss me 2 pennies in here...

What about Viacom? Paramount is doing better on DVD releases now, and an MGM purchase could be interesting. At the very least, it could put a good lot of Atlantic releases with a studio that worked with them in the past ("Teen Wolf" the Paramount CE, anyone?).

Sincerely,

John "Prepares for a skewering" Kilduff

Craig_T

Second Unit
The Last Seduction: SE is supposed to come out sometime this year. Polygram was going to release it about 3 years ago until MGM bought them. If this title gets cancelled AGAIN because of another buyout I'm gonna be SO PISSED!!! Not to mention other titles scheduled to come out like Reservoir Dogs, Usual Suspects, Robocop, etc.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Is there a source that lists all MGM DVDs, so one can possibly buy them before they leave for awhile?

I realize MGM will continue operations until there is a buyer...but just to be on the safe side, is there a list somewhere?

(One great part of this is those crappy Bond covers will never be seen again!)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Hey we took up a collection to get HTF a new server, how much harder would it be to take up a collection to buy MGM? :) :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Right George!

A merger with them would be a step back, IMO.

Speaking of which, it was about 12 months ago when we had a list of MGM's releases for the 1st qtr of 01. (about 120, or thereabouts). Is there one for this year, or did they stop cranking them out?

Glen

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Dreamworks, please!

With people like Steven Speilberg and Jeffrey Katzenberg running the studio, we could see lots of money put into restoration and preservation.

Also, since they don't have much of a library yet (Just titles as far back as 1997!), they could put more time and money into the MGM library than other studios.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Hey we took up a collection to get HTF a new server, how much harder would it be to take up a collection to buy MGM?
Oh yippie! The thought of the forum owning a studio excites me! If every member contributes about $300,000 we can do it! Which paypal account do I send my contribution to?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Think of the thread wars if we did buy it though. Ay carumba.
Cover art, which titles to release, content, which titles to remaster.
At least there would be no P&S! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks