What's new

MGM - Are you ever going to release "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" on WIDESCREEN DVD???? (1 Viewer)

Arun Vajpey

Stunt Coordinator
It is a travesty of justice that this wonderful film is only available in Pan & Scan in all regions. As usual, MGM have got it wrong when the opportunity to do better was right there. Perhaps someone should ask them why they always manage to go against popular opinion? I wonder if we are ever going to see "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" on widescreen DVD.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This came out a few weeks after I finally broke down and got a DVD player. I thought the pan-and-scan-only era was finally over (Universal had finally gone to all-widescreen before I bought it) When I heard this was coming out in pan and scan I thought it was a mistake!

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
The cropped version of CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG is a complete waste. Hopefully MGM will give consumers what they want and will release a 16:9 enhanced wide screen version on DVD.
------------------
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
DVD reviews, news and more...
www.thecinemalaser.com

Greg_M

Screenwriter
After reading the hysteria over the new "Willy Wonka" Pan & Scan DVD, one question does come to mind. It seems a few films have been released in a Pan & Scan only versions (Mostly children's films for the children's market). Wouldn't it make some kind of sense than for the respective studios to release a second version of those films with a widescreen banner on the top of the package. This way people who prefer widescreen and shop at Tower Video (and such places) could buy them, while the Wal-Mart store could only carry the Pan & Scan Version. It seems some studios have done this.
I would guess sales of the title would increase somewhat and the banner would not be confusing. Since this concerns only a handful of film it would seem like a pretty decent marketing solution. Since the DVD packaging is already done slapping on a banner isn't going to cost that much more.
Concerning this thread: MGM could use some good press about now (and you guys know Chitty Chitty Bang Bang will sell in the widescreen format)
I'd buy a widescreen version of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" but I will not buy the Pan & Scan DVD (fortunately, I own the Stereo widescreen laserdisc of this 2:35:1 Super Panavision film)
[Edited last by Greg_M on August 09, 2001 at 12:12 PM]

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
I, too, am dissappointed in the non-widescreen release of Chitty. Everytime I pull the DVD, I'm just in awe as to why it wasn't released in widescreen. It's perfect for it. I can't imagine it any other way.
Why can't all DVD's be released with both Pan n scan and Widescreen versions. I know that some people don't care for the letterboxes (not only primarily children either) yet there are those people who do.
------------------
"I've got to get me one of them DVD rewinders!"

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
MGM!
here is your chance to one-up your rival, WARNER BROS!
Long after the Apocalyptic furor has died down over their idiotic decision to release WILLY WONKA in full screen, you guys could be sitting back, drinking Tequila Sunrises, and counting the bags o' money rolling in because you had the wherewithal to rerelease CCBB in Widescreen! need I say more...?
And then watch your popularity ratings zoom off the scale!
Dont pass this chance by....
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've held off buying Chitty Chitty Bang Bang until a widescreen edition is released. I would pick it up day-and-date...PLEASE release this in anamorphic!!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
alli2icon.gif
"When you grow up, your heart dies."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks