What's new

(Merged Thread) Bluray Launch Delayed again?? (1 Viewer)

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Crutchfield has now changed the ship date for the Samsung BD player to 25th July.

Amazon has changed theirs to show Samsung shipping 7th of August.

The Sony player is shown as shipping the 3rd and 5th of August.

Since the Samsung was the only player that was scheduled to ship and launch the Bluray format, does this mean that the Bluray launch is now delayed until August??

If so, is it because the hardware is not ready, or the software?

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Where do you see that at? Because when I go to Amazon.com I get...

and I get the exact same things when I pull up Sony.

It's even more entertaining when you notice that you're claiming Crutchfield will ship "July 25th", but 4 lines down claim "It's not going to be launched till August!". At least try to be consistent in your own posts when trying to spread fud.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Sort of OT, but I've been wondering what kind of health benefits Toshiba offers. Anyone in this thread know? :D

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
While its not clear that Samsung will or won't delay they're player, Sony has stated they plan to release "Hitch" on schedule (June 20th). So even if there are no players it looks like we'll still have the media.

Source: Home Media Retailing

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Hot off the presses....

In the latest blow to Sony's Blu-ray high-definition DVD technology, Japan's Pioneer Corp. said today (Wednesday) it will postpone its U.S. launch of Blu-ray players because of delays in Sony's completion of the system's development. Pioneer said it expects to begin shipping Blu-ray players late this year instead of this month. The delay increases the advantage of Toshiba's rival HD-DVD standard. Toshiba began shipping HD-DVD players in Japan in April.

So.... again the trail goes cold.

Dugger

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

Release media with nothing to play on it? Hmmm...that's going to be one expensive drink coaster! :D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Does the idea of selling media before there's anything to play it on make sense to anyone?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

That assumes there are no drives on the market which isn't completely true. There are already PC-based drives capable of playing the discs but I'd be surprised if more than a few hundred people have a HTPC setup to do so by the 20th.

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I think it'll just focus consumers' attention on the fact that the players aren't ready.

Customer: "Those are cool-looking discs. I'd like to buy one, but where are the players"
Sales Person: "Actually, they're not ready yet, they want to make sure they iron out all the bugs, but they'll be really amazing, so why don't you buy the discs now"
Customer: "&(*^* off"

It doesn't matter if there are some $1,000 PC players around, the majority of these customers will be looking for standalone CE players.

I think it's better that they hold the movies back if there are no players and then just keep whispering "soon, soon, soon" to the customers, with lots of flash demos to stop them buying something else.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Rob, it may well do that—or it might give consumers who are wondering if Blu-Ray is ever coming out a certainty that the other product is just around the corner. This view would result in some number deciding to wait a while longer before buying an HD-DVD player.

Of course if either one of us knew how consumers really felt, we would be making very big bucks as high-priced consultants. :D

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thats definitely good news for Blu-ray supporters and those of us who are really jonzing to see how the two formats stack up head-to-head.

And I totally agree with you Rob, if Samsung wasn't going to make their launch date it would have been best for Sony to hold back the media. Do a road show or something to keep peoples' interest (sound familiar :D) but don't release media that would be virtually unplayable.

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Well, 2 weeks to go... awfully quiet so close to launch... let's hope no delay announcements in the next week...

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

How many days lead time does a store get for the inventory to be shipped to them?

Regards

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I think that depends on the vendor. For example Nintendo started shipping out the new Nindendo DS Lite on 5/30 but it won't street until 6/11. I've heard of others electronic products not showing up until the Thursday before release.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
According to a teen clerk at an audio store, don't hold your breath on Blu-Ray for quite some time, expect delays than the expectant date. This doesn't really bother me since I'm nearly broke after purchasing a brand new Denon receiver recently. :)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Mods, you can add "NOT" to the thread title. We have two independent confirmations (one from an insider, another from a Samsung CA rep) that the units are indeed on their way to stores for sale on the 25th in these united red and blue states, and the 30th for the hosers up north.

ETA: Added links.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks