What's new

MERGED Netflix thread (formerly "Netflix" and "Bye Bye Netflix", etc.) (1 Viewer)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Well, this is different. They received a DVD yesterday that I haven't mailed back yet...

Apparently this is the inverse of those times they reported shipping a DVD that I never received.

Nick

Second Unit
I use to really really like the service. Now I'm getting really fed up with it. Been a member with them for 4 years and I'm not gonna get my credit ruined by them. HOpe they won't make me pay for the movies that they didn't received.

Two months ago four of my dics that I returned to them were missing. The distribution center is only an hour away from my house. They froze my account. They suggested me to contact the post office get a claim number. I did that and they unfreezed my account. It's been good for couple weeks, now two of my disc that I returned almost a week and a half still didn't get credited yet.:angry:

I droped directly into the Post office blue box at the post office at different location.
I think the problem is Netflix itself. Netflix employees are problably selling movies that they got from work for half the price to their friends and neighbors.

I decided to join DVDavenue to see how their service is.
I joined saturday. After I load up my queue with movies I got a confirmation an hour later that they shipped the movies.
I got those movies today (Monday) I live in Connecticut and the distribution plant is in Maryland. Faster than Netflix which is only an hour away from me. They have the same plan as Netflix.
I really hate to go to Blockbuster or Hollywood videos. Hope this one works out.

Nick

Second Unit
Well, the otherday they put 4 new DVD to be shipped on my Queue when three of the movies that I sent still didn't get credited yet. Then Half an hour later all the movies to be shipped got taken out of my to be shipped Queue. and a week and a half later they still haven't gotten the DVDs that I mailed back yet.

With bad word of mouth like this they're not going to last long. So many customers reported their DVDs are missing.
Something is wrong somewhere it's either the post office or the Netflix distribution plant itself.

MarcVH

Second Unit
The bad word of mouth seems to be confined to the NorthEastern US (most notably Flushing, NY.) The word of mouth seems to be impacting customers in that region, but other places don't seem to face the same issues.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
For what it's worth, I joined DVDavenue on Monday and they still haven't shipped my first set of disks. They didn't ship them on Monday. They didn't ship them on Tuesday. And so far they haven't shipped them today, Wednesday. I can't figure it out.

I've sent them an email (yesterday) but got no response. I finally called them just now, and a nice lady who answered the phone checked my account and said that she didn't know what the problem was, but they'd get my discs out today.

I got the impression that it's just a regular video store somewhere, with a handful of people. Quite unlike Netflix. Not that it really matters, I suppose.

Nick

Second Unit
I used to joined DVDavenue couple years ago and I think I cancelled it a month later. As of this moment I don't think anybody can beat Netflix. Since they put the distribution center in almost every other states. I usually get the movie the very next day and I have about 70 movies on my Queue and 69 of them are available now. The lost disc is pretty much 0% for me (Knock on wood).

I really think it's really worth it with NEtflix. I havent' gone to Blockbuster in almost 3 years and I just cut the card up since my roommate told me that if you don't use that within three months it becomes inactive and you have to rejoin it.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm a long-time Netflix subscriber, joining in July of 1998, and I've rented 550 movies from them so far, so I know Netflix pretty well. But I wanted to check out the competition, and they just don't come fast enough for me to flip through some of the TV series my wife and I have been watching selected episodes from, and as a result my queue is up to 240 movies now. So I thought I'd try WalMart and DVD Avenue and just see if I can knock down my queue and try them out at the same time.

Unfortunately DVD Avenue still has not shipped my movies. I signed up for them at the same time as WalMart, and Walmart shipped my discs 36 hours ago.

Oh well, no biggie.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to give a little pro-Netflix cheer here: they shipped me Hellboy on Monday (7/26) and I received it Tuesday (7/27)...which was the street date. Pretty impressive. Also, yesterday (7/29) I mailed it back (at 3pm) and today at 9am they had already processed it; by 11am the next title in my queue was showing as "Shipping today". Those guys in the Milwaukee DC have got their sh*t together!

Nick

Second Unit
Like I said. They really are improving in the last couple years. They are going to dominate the movie rental like AOL did with the Dial up couple years ago (until broadband came on board). In a couple years we'll be like Blockbuster who ?

Levi

Agent

Well, Blockbuster Video is getting into the internet rentals by mail business as well. With their name recognition, marketing ability, and the fact that you also get a few free rentals at the brick and mortar stores every month (for impulse rentals), I think they are going to be strong competition for Netflix.

BBV is still a much, much larger company than Netflix, and I don't see that changing. People have been predicting the demise of the rental industry, and BBV in particular, for a decade now.

--LEVI

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks